Make sure you Check your passport!

I always keep my eye on the movement of my passport at the Immigration office and have never had to leave it with them.  I always get the come back later stamp.  During a previous extension application, at one point the Immigration officers were looking everywhere for my passport and the lady handling my application started talking in Thai, louder and louder.  I pointed and told her to look on the top of a file cabinet.  The young helper that I saw leave it there ran over and picked it up with a big smile.  Not another word was said about it as far as I know.  Mai Ben rai.

At the next extension, the same lady that now always does my extension was doing my application and the officer next to her (a lower rank) tryed to show her something on my passport and then tryed to grab my passport, she then gave his hand a strong slap.  It was all I could do to keep from laughing.

• Haha 1

More than 10 years ago I was doing a 90 day border run to Cambodia by minivan, for my Non-O ME, and when my Passport was returned to me before coming back into Thailand I noticed it was the wrong one (photo looked only a little like me).  Lots of searching by the Thai "agents", and frantic phone calls, and it turned out someone else had been given mine, and was now headed back to Pattaya...

So I was told to use the "wrong" passport to go back into T/L, and then met up with the other van that was waiting in Chantaburi to swap...

I was pretty nervous going back through Immigration, but it was all OK.. other than having the wrong address on the arrival card.  But if I hadn't checked, then who knows what might have happened...

23 hours ago, Canuckabroad said:

The most valuable stolen passports have photos of East or South Asian men or women of average height.  They still have plenty of use going between borders outside the region they were obtained in, and if it's good enough onto a plane to UK, Canada or Australia they can flush it midroute and request asylum.

I don't think it works like that, you technically aren't in the country until you've gone past immigration. Many years ago coming back from a holiday in Thailand to Germany all the passengers on my plane had their passports looked at by airport police armed with automatic weapons before we could enter the airport building. When I showed my British passport (EU) he didn't bother looking inside it so I asked what was going on, he said it was to catch illegal immigrants before they entered Germany, I said but we are in Germany, he replied, no, not legally, you are in an airport in Germany, there is a difference.  

• Thanks 1

Exactly the same happened to me but immergration had Given my bank book (book bank as said in Thailand) what a total nightmare for me. i had to go to a Thai police station to make a report (note i did not lose) After reports made had tp go to bank and cancel bank book....etc A nightmare!!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, legend49 said:

My only protection is I have a passport cover on my passport I bought in Moscow. I dont thing another alien would want a passport with Putin looking at him, LOL.

You bought a passport in Moscow?  ????

I had mine given to a Frenchman while I was waiting to collect it. I had waited 30 min and no call so I approached the IO. Turns out he gave my Aust passport to a Frenchman who was none to happy when he had to ride back to Immigration. 

I looked at them and the movie Dumb and Dumber came to mind. 

• Haha 1

When one collects your passport at Chonburi Immigration in Jomtien Pattaya they look most closely at the passport picture then look closely at you to make sure, then take a picture of you for their file record

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:09 AM, Canuckabroad said:

The most valuable stolen passports have photos of East or South Asian men or women of average height.  They still have plenty of use going between borders outside the region they were obtained in, and if it's good enough onto a plane to UK, Canada or Australia they can flush it midroute and request asylum.

Its not just that its the cost and inconvience of getting a new 1

On 8/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, khastan said:

The moral of this story is if immigration ever hold onto your passport and you have to return for it check your photo page!

And here I thought they all looked the same to us.  Who knew?

• Like 1

That happened to me in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago. They gave mine to a guy that lives in Lamphun and has the same first name, and American passport. I caught the mistake as I was leaving, turned and went back to the counter. They were very sheepish, immediately pulled the other guy up on the computer and called his mobile phone. He never answer, probably on his way home on a motorbike. Turned out they kept his and sent me home empty handed. They sent someone to his address, swapped passports with him and mine was waiting for on my return the next day. 

Definitely check the mug shot when you get your passport back. 

I haven't read all the other posts yet but the first thing you should do is file a police report. They could have copied your passport and opened the possibilities of all kinds of fraud. 

I know a Thai lady who was given the wrong ID card after she visited an office. Her ID card had been given to someone else. She immediately filed a report.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, metempsychotic said:

I would think you would automatically check just to ensure the visa has been correctly granted. 

Yep, I open it, check for the extension stamp, check the dates, check it is my passport, then skip and dance all the way to my motorbike.

• Like 1