Due to the Exchange Rates - have you changed your spending habits?

Pilotman

13 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Bit silly statement ! Plain and simple, if your wife wont go out and work - even as a gate guard for 12,000 baht a month to help out in the time the exchange rate is bad - then you married the wrong one. They are the stupid ones - not those with wives who marry and WILL help out. I have many friends with Thai wives who work to help out - great really having time to yourself and her having some money to spend. I've had many bargirls in my time - like most of us - but I married a school teacher - someone who has worked all their life and I can rely on. Bar girls are for fun - not great for marriage - and yes, I know some are different, but not many will go out and look for work after marriage. 

You wife probably needs to work to keep the Thai geeza she has on the side. Don’t be an Ostrich all your life, they all have one.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I'm getting fed up of all the envelopes she fills for others weddings and funerals

The thing to do is secretly slit the bottom open and follow her around until the money drops out. Sorted.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Caine said:

then you married the wrong one.

Marriage is always to the 'wrong one'.

I've always tried to pick one the right age at the right weight and price.

I don't know haw a quote from Mr. Coleman got attributed to Mr. Caine, but there it is.

Apologies to both.

Edited by BritManToo

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

But doesn't that suppose that you have two accommodations available for your use all year, for which you are presumably paying, and which you have presumably furnished and kitted-out? Not to mention some sort of vehicle available in both places. That sounds expensive to me, and surely more expensive than just staying put here.

I like travelling and I like going on trips for a month or so, but I cant think of anything worse than spending six months in one place and six in another. I would never be at home. Still, each to his own.

To answer the OP's question: no. Having bought a car and a condo and fitted it out to my satisfaction I find that I dont spend much here these days. Not being a drinker and not having a family or any Thai acquaintances helps hugely with that, of course.

I can imagine it if having enough money to do it easily like housekeeper, getting jones ready for you when you arrive etc. but on average money it would be difficult and more tedious for sure.

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Why not.

If times re a bit tougher she she should not need 'sending out', she should be proactive in contributing to the coffers.

Clearly we're different people - men who would send or allow their wives to go and sit in a hut for 12,000 baht a month need to take a good look in the mirror (then perhaps head on down town to buy themselves a dress !!)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I used to go out everyday on my bike, now I have to go out alternate days just to save petrol/oil.

Get a bicycle, it's better for you and costs nothing after the initial purchase.

I'm out 5 days a week now it's too wet to hike.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Why would I care?

It's normally my gf driving it and she doesn't have a driving licence either.

She says "My brother is a police captain, I don't need a driving licence or insurance"

I do admit, I've gone a bit native.

Why would you care ? Because if it was me you pranged into with that attitude, you would be unlikely to be driving again for quite a while!

So answer the question you were posed by Mr Danson - you know your gf is uninsured, and never been formally trained to drive - so if she killed a kid, that's just collateral damage right ?

Edited by Handsome Gardener
  • Thanks 2

No...not quite yet anyway. Another 5-10% decline in the USD and will start to tighten it up a bit. Never been an extravagant spender, so won't put much of a change in the lifestyle. Glad we purchased the land at 33 and had the house built the end of last year while still getting 32! 

Because I am paid in THB, I’ve found that trips to Europe and the US are easier on the wallet.. not massively per se.... but I do notice that what used to be perhaps a $3,000 trips now ends up actually costing me more like $2,700 or so...

Have I made changes to how I spend? Not really I don’t think so, but I do notice the change in THB versus USD a little bit more when it comes to account settlement time on my credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My wife's a fuking snob it took me years to get her to shop in Makro good tip guys if you have a pool I only run it 4 hours a day saves a few baht on the leccie bill, 

The outside lights on a timer that goes of now, One of my neighbors lights used to go off at 6am not on at all now