Australian drivers licence about to expire

OzMan

5 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Interesting, but may depend on how old you are 

When i researched their web site i could not do this as i was required to go into a branch for the eye test. Also i could only get a 5 year Lic. due to this which is attached to age groups.

I may have also read you can't do back to back online applications

Ok, may be they have some age restrictions but for me it was very easy the first 2 times, the 3rd time was harder as they wanted letter from i do not recall where showing my movements in/out of Australia and for it to be certified.

1 hour ago, RiVape said:

Do me a favour and ignore some of advice above.  I've been in Thailand now for 3 years.  My licence from my home country (South Africa) was about to expire 2 months ago and I decided to convert my licence to a Thai driver's licence.  I went to the nearest DLT office for me which was Chatuchak. 

The documents I had in hand were copies of the front and back of my licence (certified by my embassy), copies of my passport (photo page, visa and departure card)  residence letter from my embassy and a medical certificate which can easily be acquired at your local hospital or clinic.  

When I went to the DLT office all they did was look throug my documents to confirm all was in order.  I was then asked to go for the vision and reflex tests (as easy as anything) after which you are directed to watch a 45min video presentation(boring, mundane and just rubbish).  When that was over you had to head back to the original office that checked your docs to go and take out your digital photograph which is printed on your brand spanking new Thai Driver's licence.  

Takes less than two hours, cost 210 baht.  It is a 2 year temporary licence which will be converted to a 5 year licence after the 2 years.

May have been correct at the location you went to on the day you went to. When i first did mine, in Pattaya office,  they would not accept Australian DL on its own and wanted IDP as well.

When i was renewing car DL, and used WP instead of residency certificate, they wanted my tax number(they could not check or do anything with yet they were insisting on it)

When i renewed my bike, same thing but in neighboring province they did not ask for tax number.

Some people watch silly video and some do not, it is all down to location and who is working on the day, sadly

On 8/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, RJRS1301 said:

You can still renew your licence or permit if you’re interstate or overseas.

Call us on 13 11 71 within Australia or +61 3 8391 3216 from overseas, to find out how and if you need a new photo. If you need a new photo, complete a Photo Kit form and send it with a cheque to:

VicRoads Photokits
Locked Bag 7000
KEW VIC 3101

If your licence or permit has expired more than six months and less than five years, you can still follow the steps above to complete your renewal.

This is exactly the info the OP asked for. Anything further in this thread is just giggles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2019 at 7:11 AM, jackdd said:

This is wrong.

no it is not, after 90 days , you are required to get a thai licence, international licence is a thing of the past, they changed the rules several years ago, i have checked it all out in aus, you can drive in aus for 90 days on a thai licence, it is now recipocal. been there done that !

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stropper said:

no it is not, after 90 days , you are required to get a thai licence, international licence is a thing of the past, they changed the rules several years ago, i have checked it all out in aus, you can drive in aus for 90 days on a thai licence, it is now recipocal. been there done that !

Thai licence in UK is the same. We have rented cars from Avis/Herzt etc every year without a problem.

The only stipulation was that it had to be a 5 year licence. Some companies have a problem with the 2 year as it says 'temporary'. They treat it, sometimes, as a provisional. 

Then again it's been reported that people have used the 2 year without hassle.

Edit.

I can remember a post from maybe a couple of years ago where the guy had a foreign licence and his insurance was issued no problem. 7 months later he wrote his Ducati off and the insurance refused to pay because he should have got a Thai licence after 3 months.

Edited by overherebc

On 8/11/2019 at 7:21 AM, steven100 said:

you can renew it online however it depends on a certain criteria. 

If one meets all the conditions then yes they can apply online.

NSW or QLD licences cannot be mailed to an overseas address, it can only be within Australia.

Not sure about other states but I would expect it to be the same.

Not correct I had my Qld licence mailed to Thailand.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 7:22 AM, RJRS1301 said:

You can still renew your licence or permit if you’re interstate or overseas.

Call us on 13 11 71 within Australia or +61 3 8391 3216 from overseas, to find out how and if you need a new photo. If you need a new photo, complete a Photo Kit form and send it with a cheque to:

VicRoads Photokits
Locked Bag 7000
KEW VIC 3101

If your licence or permit has expired more than six months and less than five years, you can still follow the steps above to complete your renewal.

Firstly I can only speak in terms of West Australia but I imagine other states same or similar.  In my situation yes, I had to do a photokit which also includes your signature if not already on their database.  Biggest drawback was having to get the photos and my signature certified.  The photokit form provides a list of the professions that can certify as well as what primary and secondary ID is required.  I used my passport and an Australian debit card.  I was fortunate that I had to go to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok on other business, so did it all together. 

In WA you can register with DoT (Dept of Transport) online where you can renew online.  It also shows your license and vehicle reg status, demerits, etc. etc and will also tell you if you are required to furnish an updated photo, signature or eye test.  I would suggest you check for same for your state and get all the info, ID etc together before you travel.  I was lucky because already going to the Australian Embassy but I did ponder whether those professions listed on the photokit, as  being able to certify your ID etc., would be acceptable if from Thailand eg a Thai teacher?  Thai policeman??, a Thai lawyer etc?  Check everything with them first.  The licensing dept in your state determines what ID is required NOT the Australian embassy, it doesnt matter to them.

The other thing to consider is that not all Aust Consulates in Thailand have notary services, I know Chiang Mai doesn't so cant help you.  The other thing is that Australian Embassies and consulates, like many embassies and consulates of other countries today, are just cash cows where signatures are very very expensive!

In West Australia you cannot use an overseas address for your license (I use a mates) but they do have consideration for those "temporarily interstate or overseas".  Although I ticked that box I used Australian addresses on the form just to be safe (ie "residential address" and "postal address".

As far as an Australian drivers license being easy to "transfer" to a Thai one is the same situation as Immigration offices here.....they all have different rules and ideas.  The office I use was a piece of piss and I'm out in 20 minutes.  However two of my mates wouldnt listen to me and went to another closer office where they spent all day with sight and reaction tests, videos, and even driving tests.  Their 2 year licenses cost them 10 times what I paid for my 5 year!

Do your research (reliable) first and good luck.

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DoctorG said:

This is exactly the info the OP asked for. Anything further in this thread is just giggles.

The problem is the payment. When mine expired they only accepted a cheque. Here they also say to forward a cheque. 

I just let mine expire. Don't plan on needing it again. A Thai licence alone or with an IDP (depending on State or Territory) is fine for use up to 90 days. If the Thai licence has been held for 5-years or more it can be exchanged for a full licence in most States. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Firstly I can only speak in terms of West Australia but I imagine other states same or similar.  In my situation yes, I had to do a photokit which also includes your signature if not already on their database.  Biggest drawback was having to get the photos and my signature certified.  The photokit form provides a list of the professions that can certify as well as what primary and secondary ID is required.  I used my passport and an Australian debit card.  I was fortunate that I had to go to the Australian Embassy in Bangkok on other business, so did it all together. 

In WA you can register with DoT (Dept of Transport) online where you can renew online.  It also shows your license and vehicle reg status, demerits, etc. etc and will also tell you if you are required to furnish an updated photo, signature or eye test.  I would suggest you check for same for your state and get all the info, ID etc together before you travel.  I was lucky because already going to the Australian Embassy but I did ponder whether those professions listed on the photokit, as  being able to certify your ID etc., would be acceptable if from Thailand eg a Thai teacher?  Thai policeman??, a Thai lawyer etc?  Check everything with them first.  The licensing dept in your state determines what ID is required NOT the Australian embassy, it doesnt matter to them.

The other thing to consider is that not all Aust Consulates in Thailand have notary services, I know Chiang Mai doesn't so cant help you.  The other thing is that Australian Embassies and consulates, like many embassies and consulates of other countries today, are just cash cows where signatures are very very expensive!

In West Australia you cannot use an overseas address for your license (I use a mates) but they do have consideration for those "temporarily interstate or overseas".  Although I ticked that box I used Australian addresses on the form just to be safe (ie "residential address" and "postal address".

As far as an Australian drivers license being easy to "transfer" to a Thai one is the same situation as Immigration offices here.....they all have different rules and ideas.  The office I use was a piece of piss and I'm out in 20 minutes.  However two of my mates wouldnt listen to me and went to another closer office where they spent all day with sight and reaction tests, videos, and even driving tests.  Their 2 year licenses cost them 10 times what I paid for my 5 year!

Do your research (reliable) first and good luck.

I used Pattaya local notary and no problem at all , 3 times already 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Yme said:

The problem is the payment. When mine expired they only accepted a cheque. Here they also say to forward a cheque. 

I just let mine expire. Don't plan on needing it again. A Thai licence alone or with an IDP (depending on State or Territory) is fine for use up to 90 days. If the Thai licence has been held for 5-years or more it can be exchanged for a full licence in most States. 

It certainly couldn't be exchanged in Queensland. The wife had to go through the whole rigmarole of getting a learners license etc.

I got fined 200 baht for driving without a license. The fact that I gave the cop my Queensland license didn't mean anything apparently, I didn't have my IDP in the car at that time. A different time the cop actually asked if he could take a photo of my IDP as he had never seen one before.

The Australian Embassy no longer issue certificates of residence.

34 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

jackdd, perhaps you'll admit you're wrong after reading this extract from the Thai Motor Vehicle Act. Please pay attention to the last sentence in the extract. It clearly states that the maximum time you can legally drive/ride in Thailand using an IDP from your home country & your home country license is as follows: on a tourist visa 60 days & a Non-Imm visa 90 days. Beyond that you are required to obtain a Thai license.

"LICENCES and PERMITS

To ride a motorcycle or drive a car in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce:

• A national motorcycle/ car drivers licence issued in your home country, valid for a motorcycle/car AND,
  • An International Driving Permit. *NB - Some members believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  • The maximum period that you can drive a car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant visa."

I believe you owe sumrit a public apology.

Where did you find this "Licences and Permits" section that you have quoted because I have the latest Thailand Motor Vehicle Act 2522 BE (1979) and there is NO mention of this section in the Act. Chapter 3 of the Act is about the licences and it does mention the IDP and the foreign licences but there is NO time limit mentioned. Plus there is NO mention about this in the Thailand Land Traffic Act 2522 BE (1979) and it is not in the Thailand Highways Act 2235 BE (1992). So please give us a link to the site where you got this information from as I have all 3 of the above mentioned Acts and there is nothing in them about the 60 or 90 days. 

1 hour ago, Yme said:

Do you mean use your Thai licence to get an Australian licence at a later date? You may want to double check that. I did check ages ago, and found thaty you would have to be retested if you just have the Thai licence. In contrast, a US, NZ, Singapore licence, would be accepted. I think there is a list online of which licences are acceptable. 

1 hour ago, sherwood said:

And by the way, a Thailand licence has zero credability in Australia as far as a transfer is concerned if you want an Aus licence.

Yes, unfortunately, it doesn't work both ways. However, the Thai licence can be used to hire a car there. I did that jsut last year. 

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Do you mean use your Thai licence to get an Australian licence at a later date? You may want to double check that. I did check ages ago, and found thaty you would have to be retested if you just have the Thai licence. In contrast, a US, NZ, Singapore licence, would be accepted. I think there is a list online of which licences are acceptable. 

From what I have gleand from the Qld site a Thai licence is worth less than a brass razoo. Go back to zero. Not much faith in the Thai system, for very good reasons.

7 hours ago, hans christiansen said:

It is not misinformation!!!!

What he says is clearly wrong, so how would you call it?

6 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

jackdd, perhaps you'll admit you're wrong after reading this extract from the Thai Motor Vehicle Act. Please pay attention to the last sentence in the extract. It clearly states that the maximum time you can legally drive/ride in Thailand using an IDP from your home country & your home country license is as follows: on a tourist visa 60 days & a Non-Imm visa 90 days. Beyond that you are required to obtain a Thai license.

"LICENCES and PERMITS

To ride a motorcycle or drive a car in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce:

• A national motorcycle/ car drivers licence issued in your home country, valid for a motorcycle/car AND,
  • An International Driving Permit. *NB - Some members believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
  • The maximum period that you can drive a car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant visa."

I believe you owe sumrit a public apology.

This isn't from the Thai Motor Vehicle Act, but just something somebody made up and which is wrong. Please stop falsifying information to mislead other members.

I expect a public apology from you.

Edited by jackdd
  • Sad 1

I showed my aussie licence and got both car and bike licence from it, didnt do the truck licence as the man behind the counter wanted a back hander to give it to me, All very straight forward and only took an hour or so. My aussie(nsw) licence expired 2 months ago, cant renew online 

Edited by seajae