EU's Juncker tells Britain: no-deal Brexit will hurt you the most

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Facts? You mean as in "the French allowed illegal immigrants to build up a small village, terrorise truck drivers, breaking and entering sealed cargo, arson trucks, beating drivers unconscious etc. etc. etc. etc. without doing a God damned thing other than asking UK to pay for it"

No, not much.

If the situation is as bad as you say it is, then traffic there has probably dwindled to near zero.

Massive queues build up at Calais border after customs officers start industrial action over Brexit

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/massive-queues-build-up-at-calais-border-after-customs-officers-start-industrial-action-over-brexit/

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I told you already, it's not a solution. A solution would work for both sides. The backstop works for the EU and it works for Ireland / the Republicans. It leaves the UK and NI at the mercy of the other 27 member states indefinitely. 

Theresa May and her wing man and staunch remainer Ollie Robbins capitulated on the backstop, probably hoping they could sneak it through Parliament. 

NI voted 55.8% to 44.2% in favour of remain. Why do you ask? 

Just because you say something doesn’t make it so. 

The Good Friday Agreement must be preserved and the backstop does that. 

11% difference in voting patterns. My oh my, makes one believe the majority of those in NI have no problem with the EU...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

A solution would work for both sides. The backstop works for the EU and it works for Ireland / the Republicans. It leaves the UK and NI at the mercy of the other 27 member states indefinitely. 

You don’t have to care about what works for the EU. The EU’s concern is the single market and that it will protect, whether it’s through the withdrawal agreement or through border checks. The Ireland issue and the GFA are the UK’s problems alone. And it was clear from the beginning on that you can’t keep both promises. Which one you want to break is the UK’s decision alone. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

You don’t have to care about what works for the EU. The EU’s concern is the single market and that it will protect, whether it’s through the withdrawal agreement or through border checks. The Ireland issue and the GFA are the UK’s problems alone. And it was clear from the beginning on that you can’t keep both promises. Which one you want to break is the UK’s decision alone. 

If you think the Ireland issue is purely a problem for the UK, you've misunderstood the situation completely. Firstly the RoI obviously have an interest in the GFA.  It may have escaped your notice but the RoI is a member of the EU. 

Also, if the EU have a choice between increasing checks away from the border, investing in in more technology, stepping up trusted trader schemes and the like, or installing a border and restarting the troubles, I think I know which one they would choose. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Does anyone really give a toss what booze fueled crap Junker spews...

Unfortunately for you, he is only communicating the opinion of 27 elected Heads of State, so shooting the messenger won’t solve your problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, damascase said:

Unfortunately for you, he is only communicating the opinion of 27 elected Heads of State, so shooting the messenger won’t solve your problem.

No he isn't, in fact I reckon there are a few of the 27 that are quietly smirking at the Brits boldness...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Forethat said:

The so called "deal" was never negotiated. It was authored and proposed by Eurocrats. Do you even know what's in the "deal"..?

Hyperbole on stream today.

The uk govt was present and took part in negotiations. 

Shame the uk govt cannot be trusted to honour deals they negotiate. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Juncker isn't representing any head of state. Juncker is the President of the EU Commission. As such, he represents 28 EU commissionaires, one from each of the 28 member states. None of which are elected.

You didn’t answer my question. Nevermind, we both know why: Neither the UK’s head of state and commander-in-chief is elected, nor was Dominic Cummings ever elected. So don’t bother us with your hypocrisy.

2 minutes ago, Forethat said:

They are appointed.

Which is according to the rules. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

No one will give a damn about Brexiteers asking for help solving the mess they created. The Troubles are not an EU issue. It’s an UK-Ireland issue; it was neither caused by the EU nor did the EU enter into any Good Friday Agreement. Those are the UK’s and Ireland’s obligations alone, and since it’s not Ireland breaking the GFA, it’s the UK’s problem alone. The UK has to make a call here what promise it wants to break and what promise to honor. 

Which part of the GFA would the UK break to be precise? As far as I'm aware the GFA doesn't forbid the UK from leaving the EU. And the UK government are categorically not going to install infrastructure on the border. 

So please tell me which part of the GFA the UK are going to break. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

There is no disputing what you say, until someone can grow pineapple and mango in the UK there will no domestic competition, unlike say apples or tomatoes.

The problem is however that if prices are forced up through additional transport cost some may consider the pineapple no longer the affordable fruit it once was.

Oh absolutely and from documents I have seen internally there's no doubt prices WILL go up especially products such as imported bacon (as much as 35% IIRC). You are right, product groups that we take for granted (such as pineapples) will be hit hard and unless the supplier can find alternative outlets it means job losses in countries such as Guatemala. This has a massive global knock-on effect.

• Like 1