EU's Juncker tells Britain: no-deal Brexit will hurt you the most

rooster59

3 hours ago, Opl said:

The United Kingdom leaving the European Union without a deal would have consequences for international trade and labour markets in many countries, including outside Europe. Calculations by the Halle Institute for Economic Research (IWH) indicate: More than 600,000 jobs may be affected worldwide"

Germany would be hit the hardest, with more than 100,000 jobs affected, followed by China (just under 60,000) and France (around 50,000) as well as Poland and Italy (around 46,000 jobs each).

Yes, in case all the PRESENT exports to the UK falls away. But.. quite some will continue.

Second: as the UK competition into the EU might get difficulties, quite some NEW jobs will pop up. Think of BMW-Mini in Borne - NL

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes I am aware of this but lorries are still randomly checked for things such as contraband (tobacco and alcohol) and paperwork checks to ensure that what has been declared is on the lorry. The vehicles can also be searched for illegal immigrants.

That has NOTHING to do with the free movement of goods between the EU member states, but to fight international crime.

1 hour ago, tebee said:

4.1.2.1 External Union transit procedure

T1 The external Union transit procedure (T1), applies mainly to the
movement of non-Union goods. It suspends import duties, other
charges and commercial policy measures until the goods reach their
destination in the Union.

From https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/sites/taxation/files/transit_manual_en.pdf#page=41

Another of those 1,000,001 things you probably didn't need to know. 

You're right haha. Thanks

Normaly Juncker is drunk.,.and i would not pay too much attention to what he says...but in this case he is right I think.

I sometimes buy nice watches online in UK...I think that will change...but I can live with that.

Hans.

6 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

4.1.2.1 External Union transit procedure
T1 The external Union transit procedure (T1), applies mainly to the
movement of non-Union goods. It suspends import duties, other
charges and commercial policy measures until the goods reach their
destination in the Union.

From https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/sites/taxation/files/transit_manual_en.pdf#page=41

You're right haha. Thanks

Yes, when you are so clever to bring in... pineapple from Thailand via Pireus port, and truck it from there to.. Dundoo ( with T1 = document for free transport in a specially sealed and locked container/truck), for finally custom clearance there into the EU, you pay import duty over the pineapple, the seafreight to Pireaus, and the trucking to Dundee. With a 19,2% duty ( so also over that overland trucking of a € 3500 or so) I wonder how long your boss will leave you at that seat ( or competition finishes you ) .

When you would have worked one day in this business, for sure you would have known.

2 hours ago, hugocnx said:

Hate to disagree with you. All main stream media are parrots and copy each other or even more worse is that the media get their info forced upon by one controlling medium. Can call them Reuters, AP, Deep State, Illuminati or NWO. Take your pick. So, all same doesn't mean it's true. Contrary also likely.

I agree compeltely with you. Same, all say, when the sun is shining, it is day… Unbelievable, all parrots copy each other. 

9 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Yes, in case all the PRESENT exports to the UK falls away. But.. quite some will continue.

Second: as the UK competition into the EU might get difficulties, quite some NEW jobs will pop up. Think of BMW-Mini in Borne - NL

"All calculations are based on the assumption that demand for EU goods and services in the UK will fall by a quarter after a hard Brexit, without British demand for goods from other regions increasing."

Some economic sectors in France will be hit hard ( agriculture, wine , dairy products, fishing), and some regions ( Northern France, small enterprises in Britany) more than others , and I'm not sure they are ready to cope with the consequences of a no deal Brexit - we'll see what happens... but as a French, I'm not confident... 

21 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

The auto companies preferred the UK because unions are weak and there is less protection of workers.  As I recall, the only other place the Japanese make autos inside the customs union is Turkey. But I'm not sure about that.

2 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

What would happen when the UK leaves the EU and things work out ok for the UK.  JUST THINKING

I think maybe Denmark..Netherlands..Austria..and Finland also want to leave??

LOL

hans

3 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Yes, when you are so clever to bring in... pineapple from Thailand via Pireus port, and truck it from there to.. Dundoo ( with T1 = document for free transport in a specially sealed and locked container/truck), for finally custom clearance there into the EU, you pay import duty over the pineapple, the seafreight to Pireaus, and the trucking to Dundee. With a 19,2% duty ( so also over that overland trucking of a € 3500 or so) I wonder how long your boss will leave you at that seat ( or competition finishes you ) .

When you would have worked one day in this business, for sure you would have known.

I bring in pineapple and Mango from Guatemala in full reefer containers into Southampton. I pay the applicable duties.

If the duty changes, for example WTO then this will be applicable to my competition too. My business has stores in Dundee, we would continue to ship product via our centralized depots as we do today. I'm not sure what your point is.

5 hours ago, puipuitom said:

And THAT'is why, when for Nothern Ireland a different regime is valid as for South Ireland, there MUST be a border check in between. 

Imagine… the EU re-locates all migrants from teh Greek islands a 500 mtr away from the S-N. Irish border.. 

Or.. whatever food is allowed into N.I, but is forbidden by the EU = S.I. ? 

This cannot be stoppedby some camera's even not by scanning each lorry or car at a "hard" border.

southern ireland should have a referendum on wether they want to leave the eu lets have a PEOPLES VOTE,after all the eus not going to have any cash to chuck eires way in the future.

40 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

It is NOT my wallet, but.. import duty has to be paid over the CFR value = costs + transports till place of custom clearance.

So, when a container with .. pineapple from Thailand goes with the big ferries to St Nazaire, Felixtowe, Rotterdam, Hamburg,. and from there with feeders to,... Hull / Riga, when NOT custom cleared in the first port, also import duty over the seafreight R-dam/Hull or Zeebrugge - Riga is levied.

But.. maybe at  - amoung others - Gaston Schul Rotterdam B.V.  they donot know the rules well enough… as they do the customs declarations of hundreds of containers a day, also for the smaller British ports. 

Bye-the-way: it pineapplesis one of the reasons, whey Netherlands is such a big contributor to the EU: 80% of the levied import duty - for whatever EU destination custom clearance is done- goes to "Brussels", the rest is for "costs" and is kept in the NL

pineapples? i bought 3 large ones for a pound in lewisham market,cheaper than thailand,and they didn,t come from the eu.

12 minutes ago, kingdong said:

southern ireland should have a referendum on wether they want to leave the eu lets have a PEOPLES VOTE,after all the eus not going to have any cash to chuck eires way in the future.

Nor is it chucking any cash Eire's way now. Ireland is a net contributor to the EU. Or at least it was in 2017 which is the latest year I can find.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48256318

3 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

But not if they quote someone and all write the same quotation. And if all write 1 + 1 = 2 it´s also true

If you believe nobody, how do you get your information about the world.

1+1=2 might be true. It's how you call it. First the earth was flat; then came Copernicus and Galileo and what do you think...the earth is not flat.

First there were 2 genders and now (because the main stream helps the scam) we have more than 2 genders.

Who do you believe? 

Guns are bad. Yes for governments they are as it gets harder to suppress the citizens. For a possible invasion of America it's better to have guns around and last but not least to defend yourself against lunatic shooters.

De Blasio argumented that people don't need guns as there is the police to protect the people. I'd rather have a gun as there is never going to be police at my house to protect me like they protect De Blasio.

Sorry, I am digressing

10 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Jean-Claude Juncker will be buying pounds again Monday as Boris fly's into the white cliffs of dover after making a wrong turn over the channel but lucky for him he will still be rich ????

Good news , somebody is buying pounds @ last . Pros will wait until gbp bottoms..

Boris looks like a  overgrown school boy , what am i doing in Downing St ?. 

A jolly , gone wrong ...

55 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The auto companies preferred the UK because unions are weak and there is less protection of workers.  As I recall, the only other place the Japanese make autos inside the customs union is Turkey. But I'm not sure about that.

Since the EU concluded a deal with Japan, Japanese cars, made in Japan, are free from any EU import duty. That's why Honda will go back to Japan and "reduces" its facitilies in the UK.

Japanese automakers set for European sales boost from trade pact

https://europe.autonews.com/.../japanese-automakers-set-for-europ...

17 jul. 2018 - Toyota, Honda, Nissan could gain from EU-Japan free trade deal ... signed a trade pact that will remove EU tariffs of 10 percent on Japanese cars ... and JTEKT also stand to gain from the fall of a 3 percent tariff on auto parts. ... and drinks maker Asahi Group Holdings import wines from Europe and ... Close.

Honda's exit is based on many factors, but Brexit is certainly one ...

https://www.theguardian.com/.../hondas-exit-is-based-on-many-factors-but-brexit-is-cert...

18 feb. 2019 - 'Shattering body blow' as Honda plans to close Swindon factory ... Japanese companies have a tendency to pull production back home when the ... The 10% tariff on cars imported into the EUwill not be fully phased out until ... on investment decisions in the UK,” said Rachel Reeves, the Labour chair of the …

Honda closure adds to UK's Brexit gloom 19.02.2019 Japanese car ...

https://www.dw.com/en/honda-closure-adds-to.../a-47575092

19 feb. 2019 - Japanese car giant Honda has announced it will close its only car plant in ... plans to trim UK operations, with concerns that a no-deal Brexit could disrupt supply lines. ... taxes would massively damage the Formula 1 industry in the UK," Wolff said. ... Brexit: EU's Barnier says customsunion idea 'interesting'.

50 minutes ago, kingdong said:

pineapples? i bought 3 large ones for a pound in lewisham market, cheaper than thailand, and they didn,t come from the eu.

That YOU let yourself be swindled in TH to pay so much for a fresh pineapple… Maybe you are British ?

Or maybe quality just as good as you see the content of complete pickups along the roads close to Dole - Rayong factory ? Or close to Pranburi ?

4 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Since the EU concluded a deal with Japan, Japanese cars, made in Japan, are free from any EU import duty. That's why Honda will go back to Japan and "reduces" its facitilies in the UK.

17 jul. 2018 - Toyota, Honda, Nissan could gain from EU-Japan free trade deal ... signed a trade pact that will remove EU tariffs of 10 percent on Japanese cars ... and JTEKT also stand to gain from the fall of a 3 percent tariff on auto parts. ... and drinks maker Asahi Group Holdings import wines from Europe and ... Close.

https://www.theguardian.com/.../hondas-exit-is-based-on-many-factors-but-brexit-is-cert...

18 feb. 2019 - 'Shattering body blow' as Honda plans to close Swindon factory ... Japanese companies have a tendency to pull production back home when the ... The 10% tariff on cars imported into the EUwill not be fully phased out until ... on investment decisions in the UK,” said Rachel Reeves, the Labour chair of the …

19 feb. 2019 - Japanese car giant Honda has announced it will close its only car plant in ... plans to trim UK operations, with concerns that a no-deal Brexit could disrupt supply lines. ... taxes would massively damage the Formula 1 industry in the UK," Wolff said. ... Brexit: EU's Barnier says customsunion idea 'interesting'.

It is still in Turkey, though. Thanks to low wages and the customs union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Manufacturing_Turkey

8 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

You don't have to convince me, I voted remain albeit for a short while did see the merits of leaving but on the whole I'm a remainer. I have a fair understanding of the issues that this is going to cause. I will however say that you are only looking at the short-term damage. If the UK leaves and I don't think we will, we will adapt over time.

1 minute ago, Chelseafan said:

You don't have to convince me, I voted remain albeit for a short while did see the merits of leaving but on the whole I'm a remainer. I have a fair understanding of the issues that this is going to cause. I will however say that you are only looking at the short-term damage. If the UK leaves and I don't think we will, we will adapt over time.

The question is, adapt to what?

22 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

From your last link: "Honda's rival Japanese carmaker Nissan announced earlier this month that it was canceling plans to build the X-Trail SUV in the northeastern town of Sunderland. Nissan said explicitly that uncertainty around Brexit was a factor in its decision.

The absence of a withdrawal agreement — a so-called no deal Brexit — would likely mean the imposition of customs checks and tariffs as products enter and leave the UK."

Do you really think Honda tells the whole truth? Vauxhall is thinking about to leave, BMW with it´s MINI too, all because the chaos of a no-deal Brexit. 

Do you really think that´s it´s cheaper for Honda to close a running plant and relocate to Japan and ship all the cars the far way to Europe than to stay in the UK if they wouldn´t expect huge problems?

"The plant, near the town of Swindon, accounts for more than 10 percent of Britain's total car output, although it has struggled increasingly in recent years.

The announcement means the loss of 3,500 jobs in the UK."

10% of the most important industrie of the UK (see pic). Wow"

3,500 jobs - I guess plus many jobs around these plant. 

2.JPG

Archived