EU's Juncker tells Britain: no-deal Brexit will hurt you the most

rooster59

9 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

You don't have to convince me, I voted remain albeit for a short while did see the merits of leaving but on the whole I'm a remainer. I have a fair understanding of the issues that this is going to cause. I will however say that you are only looking at the short-term damage. If the UK leaves and I don't think we will, we will adapt over time.

Sorry, but I am just looking to a longer...

Maybe the British have to adapt to… GBP = € 0,50 and a LOT of "Services", Agricultural and Industrial jobs gone, 

Maybe you remeber.. the Russian Rouble was worth.. 4 DM. Quite some people were very happy with their pension of 250 Rubble.. till Gorbatchov but especially Jeltsin let it go through the drain. Russian grandma's adapted… by selling lemonade etc ...

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

From your last link: "Honda's rival Japanese carmaker Nissan announced earlier this month that it was canceling plans to build the X-Trail SUV in the northeastern town of Sunderland. Nissan said explicitly that uncertainty around Brexit was a factor in its decision.

The absence of a withdrawal agreement — a so-called no deal Brexit — would likely mean the imposition of customs checks and tariffs as products enter and leave the UK."

Do you really think Honda tells the whole truth? Vauxhall is thinking about to leave, BMW with it´s MINI too, all because the chaos of a no-deal Brexit. 

Do you really think that´s it´s cheaper for Honda to close a running plant and relocate to Japan and ship all the cars the far way to Europe than to stay in the UK if they wouldn´t expect huge problems?

"The plant, near the town of Swindon, accounts for more than 10 percent of Britain's total car output, although it has struggled increasingly in recent years.

The announcement means the loss of 3,500 jobs in the UK."

10% of the most important industrie of the UK (see pic). Wow"

3,500 jobs - I guess plus many jobs around these plant. 

Too late to cry. Time to get a government which is good for the UK. That is NOT a Brexit gov, and also NOT a Corbyn-gov. 

Remind: no brand owner will risk a buyers strike because they are 100% honest: ( the f.. with the UK (consumer) , too high risk, we escape as we now still can…, before the workers will block the dismantling of the production lines). So, they will find all kinds of excuses, reasons and go...

16 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

From your last link: "Honda's rival Japanese carmaker Nissan announced earlier this month that it was canceling plans to build the X-Trail SUV in the northeastern town of Sunderland. Nissan said explicitly that uncertainty around Brexit was a factor in its decision.

The absence of a withdrawal agreement — a so-called no deal Brexit — would likely mean the imposition of customs checks and tariffs as products enter and leave the UK."

Do you really think Honda tells the whole truth? Vauxhall is thinking about to leave, BMW with it´s MINI too, all because the chaos of a no-deal Brexit. 

Do you really think that´s it´s cheaper for Honda to close a running plant and relocate to Japan and ship all the cars the far way to Europe than to stay in the UK if they wouldn´t expect huge problems?

"The plant, near the town of Swindon, accounts for more than 10 percent of Britain's total car output, although it has struggled increasingly in recent years.

The announcement means the loss of 3,500 jobs in the UK."

10% of the most important industrie of the UK (see pic). Wow"

3,500 jobs - I guess plus many jobs around these plant. 

2.JPG

10% of the most important industrie of the UK (see pic). Wow

No, 10% of the most important export industries.

13 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Junker is an un elected piss head that talks out of his bum and on his way out. He alone is a good enough reason to be leaving

Juncker is elected by the only cremium allowed to vote for and appoint the EU president of the Commission = the head's of government of the EU member states, incl the one for the UK. The EU Parliament has ONLY a veto-right.

Just as the ambassadors of the UK in any country are elected in a barony ( cosntituency), not the UK representatives at the UN, WHO, WTO, FIFA, the top-boss of the Bank of England and of the BBC, and all members of the House of Lords.

5 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Juncker is elected by the only cremium allowed to vote for and appoint the EU president of the Commission = the head's of government of the EU member states, incl the one for the UK.

Just as the ambassadors of the UK in any country are elected in a barony ( cosntituency), not the UK representatives at the UN, WHO, WTO, FIFA, the top-boss of the Bank of England and of the BBC, and all members of the House of Lords.

The difference is that the French ambassador to the UK has no bearing on what happens in Spain.

Juncker was elected on a majority vote and the UK DID NOT vote for him. Perhaps that's why he hates us ????

7 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

10% of the most important industrie of the UK (see pic). Wow

No, 10% of the most important export industries.

Read... and worry.

Statistics on UK-EU trade - Commons Library briefing - UK Parliament

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/.../CBP-7...

24 jul. 2019 - In 2018UK exports to the EU were £289 billion (46% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £345 billion (54% of all UK imports). The share of UK exports accounted for by the EU has generally fallen over time from 55% in 2006 to 43% in 2016, though this increased slightly to 44% in 2017 and 46% in 2018.

Je hebt deze pagina bezocht op 26-7-19.

Everything you might want to know about the UK's trade with the EU ...

https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-eu-trade/

28 aug. 2018 - The £274 billion exports of goods and services to other EU countries were worth 13.4% of the value of the British economy in 2017. It's been at around 12-15% over the past decade. Exportsfrom the rest of the EU to the UK were worth about 3-4% of the size of the remaining EU's economy in 2016.

• UK and EU goods trade 2018 | Statista

https://www.statista.com › Society › Economy

This statistic shows the total EU trade in goods of the United Kingdom (UK) from 2000 to 2018 by trade value.

4 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

The difference is that the French ambassador to the UK has no bearing on what happens in Spain.

Juncker was elected on a majority vote and the UK DID NOT vote for him. Perhaps that's why he hates us ????

He doesn´t hate you. He only does what the members of the EU want. He can´t do anything without the elected parliament and the ok from the members. Also he has to follow, same as the UK the signed contract and the law.

30 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

a) The difference is that the French ambassador to the UK has no bearing on what happens in Spain.

b) Juncker was elected on a majority vote and the UK DID NOT vote for him. Perhaps that's why he hates us ????

a) then it could be a very bad ambassador for France, as all EU member states influence each other and especially neighbour states.

b) https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/27/david-cameron-loses-jean-claude-juncker-vote-eu  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/27/eu-democratic-bandwagon-juncker-president-wanted  26 in favour, 2 oppose… ( one = UK). Why to hate a whole country for that ? In Continental EU it is not a two-party system, where it is always; OR US … or... The Mortal Enemy

29 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

He doesn´t hate you. He only does what the members of the EU want. He can´t do anything without the elected parliament and the ok from the members. Also he has to follow, same as the UK the signed contract and the law.

Oh I agree with you but his underlying tone and how he presents himself does him no justice. He comes across badly.

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Nor is it chucking any cash Eire's way now. Ireland is a net contributor to the EU. Or at least it was in 2017 which is the latest year I can find.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48256318

But the Irish PM has already sounded out the EU for bail out cash post-Brexit. The Irish economy will take a serious hit, so the PM wants a rescue fund. 

Hence him making it as difficult as possible for the UK to leave by pretending the border issue cannot be solved. 

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

Oh I agree with you but his underlying tone and how he presents himself does him no justice. He comes across badly.

Well, perhaps he is so annoyed from the Brexit and the acting of the UK politicians that he can´t hide it anymore ????

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Junker is an un elected piss head that talks out of his bum and on his way out. He alone is a good enough reason to be leaving

If you think so, he seems to be quite good at representing the interests of the remaining 27 EU countries. That is his job.

Get over it.

12 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

But the Japanese car makers are planning to leave the UK or left already

Yes, the tariff free deal the EU made with Japan, gave a good incentive for them making more of the cars back in Japan now.

26 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Yes, the tariff free deal the EU made with Japan, gave a good incentive for them making more of the cars back in Japan now.

It seems that UK (citing Liam Fox) would like to get the same type of agreement after Brexit, claiming that "The agreement will help to boost trade between the UK and Japan and is estimated to increase UK GDP by up to £3 billion the longer term. This will help to create more British jobs and give consumers more choice at lower prices." Moreover, "This is welcome news for the UK motor industry, which exported just over £1 billion worth of vehicules". 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-welcomes-approval-of-new-trade-agreement-with-japan

We can but hope the politicians can come up with the new configuration that will work for most of the people most of the time, as soon as possible. Using words like "hurt", shows a very negative mindset,  there will no doubt be many peoples lives needlessly disrupted because both sides cannot embrace the changes required. The politicals need to get on with it as soon as possible, they are not in the Matrix. 

The worry I have is that, EU goes in the Huff, and the UK gov. decides to equalize the balance of payments via the banks, and put a tariff on all outgoing payments or some such initiative. Which would have a knock-on effect on folk overseas, with a dependency on UK income.

I think leaving is past the point of no return now, if we don't leave (whilst trying to stay as friendly and nice to Europe as poss.) there would be political chaos for years. Stay or leave it cannot be the same again....

I freely admit, I only have a basic understanding of the Irish problem so can someone explain to me what the bigger issue is? As I see it the EU are making this into a bigger issue than it really is. Surely it's something that technology can regulate ?

How many hard borders in the world between entities not in a common market are regulated by technology only and do not have any border infrastructure?

I thought so.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

But the Japanese car makers are planning to leave the UK or left already. So the Brits have to pay 20% (or less or more) customs for all cars, except Rolls Royce, Bentley and McLaren which only a few people can afford. So the customs will effect 99,99% of the Brits. 

Japanese car manufacturers are not leaving UK because of Brexit - it is a result of a strategic plan to relocate all production of cars for the EU-market. But even so, this is probably EU:s least problem. Germany is facing insurmountable issues with decreasing sales. If someone asked me what will cause one of the biggest recessions this world has ever seen, I'd say the German car industry implodes as an indirect result of the USA-China trade war. And if UK leaves EU the number will slump even further. 

And from this perspective, playing in any team but Germany's seems like a clever move right now. UK doesn't have a problem in comparison. EU are simply looking for enough players to pick up the German tab when the shit hits the fan.

7 hours ago, kingdong said:

southern ireland should have a referendum on wether they want to leave the eu lets have a PEOPLES VOTE,after all the eus not going to have any cash to chuck eires way in the future.

Eire’s people can decide their own way and don’t need advice from brexiteers. 

The brits don’t call the shots there anymore. 

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

But the Irish PM has already sounded out the EU for bail out cash post-Brexit. The Irish economy will take a serious hit, so the PM wants a rescue fund. 

Hence him making it as difficult as possible for the UK to leave by pretending the border issue cannot be solved. 

When did the Taoiseach say the border issue cannot be solved?

A solution is already in place in the current deal. 

8 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

How is that any relevant when 50% of the UK’s exports go to the EU vs. only 7% of the EU’s export to the UK? Sometimes I’m amazed how those who voted for this desaster don’t even get the basics right. 

I thought you would creep out of the woodwork at some point/

Look at the value that is at stake.... and tell Spain, Ireland and Germany it is irrelevant.

This"desaster" is an opportunity.

Soon as UK joined i was in Europe, dont know if its still the same , but a big export were paid Vacations. Seeking employment in an EEC Country.Not being a Pom they boasted to me they had their dole money posted to em. Just tell em we cant find nuffin . No shame at all.!. So theres a few million against i suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

17 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I can live with that.

Do you really think that people will not buy from the UK ?

No I don't, but the increased costs as a result of the changes will put UK goods at a competitive disadvantage. And the same will apply to EU goods within the UK.

Places like Lidl will probably introduce more budget items from Asia.

16 hours ago, superal said:

If the EU were able to make up the loss of UK trade why are they not already doing it ?   

Because it is much easier and cheaper to service existing customers than it is to look for new ones. 

That does not mean that new customers effectively on the doorstep are not available with some outlay on marketing.

Things are a bit different in the UK, many businesses turn to exporting when the domestic market has been exhausted, whereas the EU is a continually expanding market.

22 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

the deal is dead

Assumption on your part. Remember never assume anything in politics. 

However, even if your assumption proves correct, there is absolutely no reason to assume Eire will suddenly decide not to protect her interests. 

30 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No I don't, but the increased costs as a result of the changes will put UK goods at a competitive disadvantage. And the same will apply to EU goods within the UK.

Places like Lidl will probably introduce more budget items from Asia.

I think you are probably right.

As I said I can mange without French wine and Italian sausage.................................. (if necessary).

Archived