Action on Herbicides by Government

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/deputy-agriculture-minister-promises-to-ban-3-herbicides-this-year/

Deputy Agriculture Minister Manunya Thaiseth has given an assurance that three hazardous herbicides, which are widely used in Thailand and are strongly opposed consumer and civic groups, will be banned within this year.

She disclosed Friday that she had ordered a suspension of the granting of permits for, or registration of paraquat, chlorpyrifos and glyphosate, while a complete review of the use of the chemicals for agriculture is undertaken.

The review is expected to be completed this month, she said, adding that, personally, she would like them to be banned this month, but would have to take several matters into consideration, such as the amount of the chemicals currently held in storage.

The deputy agriculture minister dismissed the suggestion that, since many farmers had been trained in the proper use of the three herbicides, the farmers are able to protect themselves and consumers can be assured that agricultural produce is safe, because it is not known whether the trained farmers strictly follow the usage instructions in practice.

“The safety of human beings cannot be compromised. While we are living with the hazardous chemicals and are taking preventive measures, the chemicals have spread into the environment. When we eat fish from a river or stream contaminated with chemicals, we will ingest the chemicals. It is a food chain,” said Ms. Manunya.

Paraquat and chlorpyrifos should have gone long ago, I certainly haven't used paraquat for 40 years. 

So let's ban Roundup; Vegetable prices will rise by about 25 %, people will start to eat food of even lower quality than they do now, rice, wheat and soya.... and even more will be getting diabetes, heart disease etc at an even earlier age. 

I'm not saying Roundup is harmless but the benefits it has brought to farmers and gardeners more than outweighs its possible toxicity. 

4 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

She disclosed Friday that she had ordered a suspension of the granting of permits for, or registration of paraquat, chlorpyrifos and glyphosate,

Chemical companies are very rich and Thailand politicians and senior civil servants are very corruptible.

Wait and see what temptation might do.

The deputy minister has led the charge not the Minister. I seems to me that the review to be held could be "real" and that if there is a "least impact answer" they will look for it. A consensus, I doubt it.

I find it hard to imagine such an all encompassing review could happen by end of this year, even if over a whole year, it would still be challenging.

But I will watch and reserve judgement. IMHO there has to be a better way.

In my case, we use herbicides in preparing for rice planting. Do I have an alternative weed control? Well yes, I could use the tractor more with EM sprays etc.. Actually it would be cheaper if less convenient.

3 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

The deputy minister has led the charge not the Minister. I seems to me that the review to be held could be "real" and that if there is a "least impact answer" they will look for it. A consensus, I doubt it.

I find it hard to imagine such an all encompassing review could happen by end of this year, even if over a whole year, it would still be challenging.

But I will watch and reserve judgement. IMHO there has to be a better way.

In my case, we use herbicides in preparing for rice planting. Do I have an alternative weed control? Well yes, I could use the tractor more with EM sprays etc.. Actually it would be cheaper if less convenient.

The point is that rice kills more people than Roundup.

Just now, cooked said:

The point is that rice kills more people than Roundup.

None of us will get out of this life alive! But in my case you are right, Roundup is not and never will be on the menu here so the rice will get me. Mind you beer is cheaper than roundup...

Just now, farmerjo said:

If the chemicals go,next on the agenda will be the hybrid seeds produced by the chemical companies.

After that all pickled heirloom seed will be next.

Weevils will be the dish of the day in most eating establishments.

Roundup ready crops got their just deserts in Europe a few years back. Burnt! 

A friend here is exporting heirloom varieties of rice and doing very well. Hope that continues for him.

As for the weevils, around here more likely crickets and the locals do pretty well from them. Frogs and snakes and even snails are on the local plates depending on season but more so on money in the pocket. My wife can feed her family (I won't eat most of that <deleted>) without spending a baht. It is all relative guys.

The more is better BS from the chemical companies needs to go. The issue is with decreasing labour and increasing farmer ages and debt, how do we get better and enough food?

Came across this on a FB site called 'Rural life Thailand' 

https://www.thethailandlife.com/truth-about-pesticides-thailand?fbclid=IwAR107-6PANb7JroAXnmW57W8cbB1J96_ecCIKHAPdqGiBNYT4DLnBTgkZ2c

Another FB site 'Expats In Isaan / Northeast Thailand' is pretty interesting too.  If it is that you live in Isaan, I suppose.  i like it although I am not a big FB user.

Good luck Thailand taking on giants like Monsanto.  They are the NRA of chemicals and GM crops.  Or the Pall Mall outfit working to develop tobacco use in every country where it is not banned.  Or how about whoever is behind use of coal?  Moving right along to the arms industry that has been banned from making cluster bombs that look like toys.  Imagine, they had to be forced to do this.

Heaven help us. 

I'm open to suggestions of how i can direct seed a crop without the use of roundup.
I use 360ml per rai/year.
This is kept to a minimum by using a slasher(brush hog)between crops but will not kill the weeds.

Remember, that is you. An educated farang who reads labels, instructions and safety warnings.
Take the average Somchai Thai farmer it's a whole different story. I guess you know what I'm talking about...

Also in the case of glyphosate, the government really giving not any alternatives.
May it be reduced import prices for alternative chemicals or tax breaks and subsidies for more advanced machinery from overseas.

This year we've had 29mm of rain for August.

If i was to plough,rotovate and seed the crop it would be a certain failure with the weather pattern at the moment

Instead this week using 360ml of roundup a rai and direct seeding leaving all the organic matter on the surface to create a barrier and some moisture.it may just have a chance.

Yes that has been seeded already.

20190816_072413.jpg

Archived