Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

4 hours ago, izod10 said:

And now the cracks are showing,everything about it is poor, population in general could not give a toss,or are subdued to a point its pointless to query anything. Only tourism kept them up there ,screwing anybody and everything,not there anymore,never will be,so that leaves a fine mess

Plus side I feel things here are getting cheaper,even supermarket shopping,as for rents giveaway now,unlike back 'ome,frightened at the thought of trundling back after all these years,but Spain firmly in my sights ,if I can unload my mutts,but another story

No doubt get a good Thai woman looking after you,life is assured in old age,trouble is finding one

Getting back on topic, what businesses will be left standing Q1 of 2023, and of the businesses surviving now, is it worth it for the owner to be propping them up with their savings?  

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

Did anyone mention the Govt might be looking rather surprisingly at reviewing visa requirements to encourage visitors and investment to Thailand.

Yes it took a pandemic and 3 waves and 3 lockdowns that aren't to be called lockdowns for them to even comment that they might be considering easing requirements. Just prior to Covid we seemed to be on a path of making life more difficult for Expats . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kinyara said:

The same ones that we explained to you last year.  Are you struggling for somewhere to go for your Sunday lunch yet ?  

I said back in 2020 that the businesses left standing in February 2021  will most likely still be standing when covid has finished.  I said this with international travel starting back up mid 2021 in mind.

We can now see that's not going to happen. 

A lot of these businesses are being propped up by savings or foreign income.  Do you think that capital is infinite?   

The longer this continues, leases come up for renewal.  I posted an example of Retox bar.  Will they pay in 2022, or walk away?  Will they even have the money to pay? 

If a bar relies on tourists, and their lease is coming up, will they pay again, or walk away?   Those that walk away, will be the next round of closures.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kinyara said:

BTW Leaver, if for some reason you fancy cooking your own Sunday lunch there are 3 new expat supermarkets that have set up in the last couple of months to cope with the dwindling demand of expats in Pattaya. Rather outrageously prices have dropped, I guess they must have the only realistic Thai landlords in town.

I'm sure restaurant owners are happy with this news.   ????

26 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I said back in 2020 that the businesses left standing in February 2021  will most likely still be standing when covid has finished.  I said this with international travel starting back up mid 2021 in mind.

We can now see that's not going to happen. 

A lot of these businesses are being propped up by savings or foreign income.  Do you think that capital is infinite?   

The longer this continues, leases come up for renewal.  I posted an example of Retox bar.  Will they pay in 2022, or walk away?  Will they even have the money to pay? 

If a bar relies on tourists, and their lease is coming up, will they pay again, or walk away?   Those that walk away, will be the next round of closures.  

Pure speculation on your part unless business owners are in the habit of divulging their financial circumstances to you.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes it took a pandemic and 3 waves and 3 lockdowns that aren't to be called lockdowns for them to even comment that they might be considering easing requirements. Just prior to Covid we seemed to be on a path of making life more difficult for Expats . 

So it's potentially good news for us right ?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kinyara said:

there are 3 new expat supermarkets that have set up in the last couple of months to cope with the dwindling demand of expats in Pattaya. Rather outrageously prices have dropped, I guess they must have the only realistic Thai landlords in town.

Can i ask the name and the location of those goldmines?

I would like to explore new supplies sources, because due to the lack of westerners in Pattaya Big C has dramatically reduced the offer on the imported products and the prices are up months after months

Edited by kingofthemountain

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

Definitely. Maybe buy land. Foreign quota for condos up to 80%, the kinda potential good news that makes Leaver (already left) miserable

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, kinyara said:

BTW Leaver, if for some reason you fancy cooking your own Sunday lunch there are 3 new expat supermarkets that have set up in the last couple of months to cope with the dwindling demand of expats in Pattaya. Rather outrageously prices have dropped, I guess they must have the only realistic Thai landlords in town.

Did anyone mention the Govt might be looking rather surprisingly at reviewing visa requirements to encourage visitors and investment to Thailand.  Always good to take the long term view, sit back, relax and enjoy what's within our control.

Saw the video blog on YT with these 3 places reviewed. Visited one and got a gem or two - a jar of pickled baby beets. Heinz, not Baxters, but still quality. Heinz piccallili too, though not quite as good as Sainsburys own brand from the UK.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

So, Witherspoons on Soi Buakhao has been sold.

Witherspoons is in the process of moving to what was one of the R-Con Sports Bars just up from the S-Bend.

We await to see what Witherspoons will become.

Probably need the cash to prop up their new(ish) Beach Road location. Cannot be making money, huge place with very few customers whenever I go by.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kinyara said:

Pure speculation on your part unless business owners are in the habit of divulging their financial circumstances to you.

Yes, it is speculation.  Since when are internet forums only about the past and the present?  

10 hours ago, kinyara said:

I think it will be good news for tourists, not expats.

Free tourist visas, perhaps with no back to back restrictions, or longer tourist visas.

The only thing I could see them doing for expats is reducing the 800k baht to maybe 700k baht, in the hope expats will inject the 100k baht into the local economy.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Definitely. Maybe buy land. Foreign quota for condos up to 80%, the kinda potential good news that makes Leaver (already left) miserable

Hardly. 

Give majority voting rights on a property to farang, too funny.  ????

On 4/16/2021 at 7:20 PM, rott said:

That bar does ot look to be "on" any part of Soi Buakhao that I know. But it does look an interesting bar (apart from the gent sat outside). Anyone got a name for it.? 

Yes, I looked at the photos to try to see what bar it is, but I couldn't tell.  I'm not sure it's on Soi Baukhao, either.    

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's what the article said, let's see if it pans out, I'm sure you agree would be good news, something to be happy about eh?

Article stated quite the opposite; that they would not have voting rights. Though I'm sure they have followed up by saying that it's too early to consider changing anything.

4 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Article stated quite the opposite; that they would not have voting rights. Though I'm sure they have followed up by saying that it's too early to consider changing anything.

wow no voting rights, a real game changer.....most falang wouldn't care as long as it's foreign quota

20 hours ago, kinyara said:

Well yes, but it isn't true until it happens... and if I am allowed to own, I have to untangle my house from company ownership.

• Like 1