Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

It's possible relocations may mean less rent to pay, thus better product and service can be offered to customers.

Most certainly on the former, hopefully on the latter. A definite switch from tourist and Expat to Expat only market. I liked the old original place, remember when there was a glass room butchery. My go to place for lunch before immigration reopened. 

3 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

Probably rare for a tourist location like Pattaya where people are just passing through. The business model is more like offer window dressing, serve over priced cheap <deleted>, and draw in the next customer who won't ever return.

You are referring to a train station model, not what I see in Pattaya

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

Probably rare for a tourist location like Pattaya where people are just passing through. The business model is more like offer window dressing, serve over priced cheap <deleted>, and draw in the next customer who won't ever return.

Dan the post where you described Retox Game On as being in "some Soi in Central Pattaya" had me wondering exactly how well you knew the place. 

This post is having the same effect. 

• Thanks 2

On 6/18/2021 at 8:37 PM, Leaver said:

Here's a random one from the first page of a Google search.  There are many.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/economics/article/3136134/no-nightlife-yes-vaccinations-can-thailands-pattaya-rebrand-and

Quote:

“Around 80 per cent of tourist businesses have gone in Pattaya,” said Chairat, who is also a regional representative for the Thai Hotels Association."

This one is specific to massage shops.

https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/over-80-of-massage-shops-in-pattaya-closed-permanently

Do you have any thoughts of your own to post?  

If that means 80% of massage shops that is heavily exaggerated. From my own observations I would say probably no more than 30%.

Still a lot though. 

3 hours ago, rott said:

Dan the post where you described Retox Game On as being in "some Soi in Central Pattaya" had me wondering exactly how well you knew the place. 

This post is having the same effect. 

i was referring to the main tourist areas, like soi buakhao. what i saw was foreign tourist eateries where the food was junk (over priced for what it was).

to give a concrete example, the ever present "western breakfast" consisting of a hot dog that should be a sausage, a slice of toasted white bresd, scrambled eggs, a thimble full of oj enough to put in my eye, some beans, coffee, usually priced around 150-200 baht. that's about 5-6 usd. a tourist scam imo.

Edited by DerbyDan

32 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

what i saw was foreign tourist eateries where the food was junk (over priced for what it was).

to give a concrete example, the ever present "western breakfast" consisting of a hot dog that should be a sausage, a slice of toasted white bresd, scrambled eggs, a thimble full of oj enough to put in my eye, some beans, coffee, usually priced around 150-200 baht. that's about 5-6 usd. a tourist scam imo.

something a tourist would order, laugh at, and hopefully not return for unless they like their mushy peas hard.

maybe you are referring to higher end foreign food joints, steakhouses and such. i don't even look for or try them, because i won't pay what they are asking, but just prefer my street side thai food on a stool with free water mostly.

Most British style places do proper sausages and decent size mugs of tea or coffee, at a price either side of 100 baht at least up till 12.00 and possibly all day for a full breakfast. 

So what you are saying is that your knowledge of Pattaya is sketchy at best. Nothing wrong with that. 

As for Thai Street food plenty of that about as you describe. 

Are you confusing me with someone else, your post is about things I have never mentioned.? 

Edited by rott
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, rott said:

Most British style places do proper sausages and decent size mugs of tea or coffee, at a price either side of 100 baht at least up till 12.00 and possibly all day for a full breakfast. 

So what you are saying is that your knowledge of Pattaya is sketchy at best. Nothing wrong with that. 

As for Thai Street food plenty of that about as you describe. 

are you sure it's not really a hot dog, cooked to look like a sausage? they have blokes in there all they do all morning is make hot dogs look like a real sausage so people will pay extra. they even pour catsup on your plate so you can't tell that it's really a hot dog weiner.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I do not know where you are speaking of, my places have been the Queen Victoria Soi 6, the Hideaway Soi 15, The Swan Soi Yamato and Retox. Unfortunately the last two are currently out of it. 

Others that people speak well of are Nikkys and the Hungry Hippo in Soi Buakhao. Even the Robin Hood does a 99 baht special, otherwise not known for cheap prices. 

6 hours ago, rott said:

If that means 80% of massage shops that is heavily exaggerated. From my own observations I would say probably no more than 30%.

Still a lot though. 

No, it's "80% of tourist businesses."  That would be everything from hotels to bars to restaurants, and including massage shops.

From my observations, I would put massage shop closures a little higher than 30% though.   

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

No, it's "80% of tourist businesses."  That would be everything from hotels to bars to restaurants, and including massage shops.

From my observations, I would put massage shop closures a little higher than 30% though.   

No, quoting from the Thaiger lower down it says" 80 of massage shops" which I take to mean 80%.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

are you sure it's not really a hot dog, cooked to look like a sausage? they have blokes in there all they do all morning is make hot dogs look like a real sausage so people will pay extra. they even pour catsup on your plate so you can't tell that it's really a hot dog weiner.

I now seriously doubt that you have ever been to Pattaya. Hot dogs cooked to look like sausages? Really?

I have eaten many full English breakfasts both in Pattaya and the UK. Although the breakfasts in Central Pattaya don't measure up to the best of British, most would pass muster in your average British transport caf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

I now seriously doubt that you have ever been to Pattaya. Hot dogs cooked to look like sausages? Really?

I have eaten many full English breakfasts both in Pattaya and the UK. Although the breakfasts in Central Pattaya don't measure up to the best of British, most would pass muster in your average British transport caf.

i'm talking about sausages i would eat in the usa. uk weiners may be different.

all i know is they use american hot dogs in place of sausages on many breakfasts and they want you to put catsup on a hot dog for breakfast, but they were not british joints, but just cheapo tourist type spots, like thai places that have american breakfast options and cater to foreigners.

we don't eat hot dogs for breakfast in america, only at ball games, cookouts etc.

if your reading this and serving hot dogs for breakfast, stop doing that, and use a thai sausage instead if you can't get legit american sausages.

hotdogBig.png

Go-on---you-know-you-want-009.jpg

Edited by DerbyDan
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

Iam not a tourist but I do remember the places that serve over priced cheap <deleted> noting to never return.

Doubt Iam the only one.

4 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Personally I have seen weiners served for breakfast in many places, so I do agree with derby Dan. Not many places serve proper sausage, but a few. Can’t expect much for a bargain price.

Certainly in hotels where a breakfast is perhaps included, named American Breakfast. Very likely to get a greasy Weiner straight from the frying pan and a chance it has been butterflied for whatever reason. Hate most hotel breakfasts, sugary small glasses of not orange juice, half cooked snotty eggs, toast served too soon, dry as dust. A slice of boiled ham.... and bitter coffee. Some tired little pieces of fruit....

I am off to Nicky's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Certainly in hotels where a breakfast is perhaps included, named American Breakfast. Very likely to get a greasy Weiner straight from the frying pan and a chance it has been butterflied for whatever reason. Hate most hotel breakfasts, sugary small glasses of not orange juice, half cooked snotty eggs, toast served too soon, dry as dust. A slice of boiled ham.... and bitter coffee. Some tired little pieces of fruit....

I am off to Nicky's.

Have you tried to eat Nicky's mega breakfast?

2741049aHvaX80t.jpg

Edited by redwood1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am off to Nicky's.

Is Nicky's English breakfast better than Hungry Hippos 109\129 baht one?

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Have you tried to eat Nicky's mega breakfast?

2741049aHvaX80t.jpg

I just had the eggs benedict...... that breakfast tempts me, but as I get older I have less appetite.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is Nicky's English breakfast better than Hungry Hippos 109\129 baht one?

Their both horrible in my opinion. I don't get places like these frying up their eggs and bacon in sweet margarine ruining the taste. I don't know if its cheaper then cooking oil but having sweet tasting eggs for me is not appetizing.

• Like 1

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

This thread is redundant. A relevant and positive  thread would be about business  that are opening or thriving.

Hardly redundant. 

There will be more closures in the future.  Most notably in recent time, the Retox bar, Pattaya's most popular sports bar, closing the doors.

You are welcome to start a thread on opening and thriving businesses.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That's a different article to the post you were quoting.  

No that is exactly what I was quoting. Your post on p135. 

Edited by rott