Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Another price drop.  

When will the price meet the market?  Is there a market?   

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/pattaya-s-number-1-farang-restaurant-is-for-sale--387708

thing is it won't be a "gold mine" when a muppet buys it and drives it into the ground

Edited by scubascuba3

On 8/27/2021 at 4:39 AM, scubascuba3 said:

thing is it won't be a "gold mine" when a muppet buys it and drives it into the ground

I doubt it's a "gold mine" even when busy.  The sale of the business, pre covid, is where the "gold" was.  

The only one driving the business into the ground would be the Thai landlord.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I doubt it's a "gold mine" even when busy.  The sale of the business, pre covid, is where the "gold" was.  

The only one driving the business into the ground would be the Thai landlord.  

If you remember pre covid a lot of places couldn't compete, the Retox places were in a tail spin before covid partly because of room rental changing to monthly. HH was the busiest place in town, you had to go upstairs to get a seat, the problem will be the buyer will screw it up

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you remember pre covid a lot of places couldn't compete, the Retox places were in a tail spin before covid partly because of room rental changing to monthly. HH was the busiest place in town, you had to go upstairs to get a seat, the problem will be the buyer will screw it up

No argument from me, it's popular, and was busy.  The cheap eats are the bait for the business sale.  If it's profitable, why's he selling, and it's not due to ill health.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

No argument from me, it's popular, and was busy.  The cheap eats are the bait for the business sale.  If it's profitable, why's he selling, and it's not due to ill health.  

If he wants to sell,suggest he stops bleating to customers about how bad things are!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Even in its busiest times it hardly makes money . Low prices mean you need a massive turnover of customers . Restaurants have very low profit margins even at the best of times . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Even in its busiest times it hardly makes money . Low prices mean you need a massive turnover of customers .  

Thais know how to get a profit: you just need to raise the prices.

If even that way you don't get a profit, just increase them even more.

Easy. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Even in its busiest times it hardly makes money . Low prices mean you need a massive turnover of customers . Restaurants have very low profit margins even at the best of times . 

how do you know it hardly makes money in the busiest times? you seen the accounts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As far as i am aware, Retox had a number of partners with businesses in the UK.

I think one had a heavy plant business doing airport runway surfacing etc.

To be honest i just think they took the view, why keep a business a float when nobody knows the visibility of earnings going forward.

Everyone knows Pattaya demographics are changing.

I used to have brunch in Jasmin's on Pattaya Klang every morning. Knew the French boyfriend/ husband pretty well.

He said 6 years ago it would have been 90% farang/10% asian, now it's reversed.

Young, trendy, asian small groups and families.

I think Retox's owners made an astute commercial decision. If they want another hobby, they can buy another bar if/when normality returns.

Edited by GStewart70
Edit
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

how do you know it hardly makes money in the busiest times? you seen the accounts?

If you take into account the purchase price, and refurbishment costs, how many cheap eat meals would you have to sell a day to make that money back, on top of monthly rent and other operating costs?  

If it's profitable, why has the asking price dropped from something like 8 million baht to 4 million baht?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If it's profitable, why has the asking price dropped from something like 8 million baht to 4 million baht?  

We were talking pre covid, now it's covid and no one here so quite obvious why it's dropped, like condos, houses and rent

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Why even sell pre covid, if it's profitable?  

Make money? plus someone said he had Diabetes type 1, if true maybe some truth in his health being reason for sale. To be fair he is good at setting these places up and that's why he's done at least 3, probably hassle running a busy place

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Make money? plus someone said he had Diabetes type 1, if true maybe some truth in his health being reason for sale. To be fair he is good at setting these places up and that's why he's done at least 3, probably hassle running a busy place

Fair play.

I don't know him, personally.  It's common knowledge he's flipped a few restaurants.  I simply suggest the profit comes from flipping them, not from selling cheap eats in them. 

He'll be stuck with this one.  Why would someone buy it, when they can take over one of the vacant restaurants, dealing directly from the Thai landlord, and then offer cheap eats, if that's their business model? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Read the add . Supposedly it’s still the busiest place in Pattaya and just paying the running costs . What do you think the profit margins are on each plate they sell ? At those prices you need to sell thousands a day . It’s a lot of work for very little return . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Read the add . Supposedly it’s still the busiest place in Pattaya and just paying the running costs . What do you think the profit margins are on each plate they sell ? At those prices you need to sell thousands a day . It’s a lot of work for very little return . 

Is the busiest place still. So you're guessing, no idea of costs, margins, you're just plain negative

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

what the ad said "it hardly makes money in the busiest time"? think you need to read the ad again. How did you work that out?

Your hard work . The add  clearly said and you agreed , the add said it’s still the busiest restaurant in Pattaya but is only paying its bills and keeping up with maintenance . That is saying there is NO profit or the add would say it’s PROFITABLE. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 9:24 AM, chrisandsu said:

Your hard work . The add  clearly said and you agreed , the add said it’s still the busiest restaurant in Pattaya but is only paying its bills and keeping up with maintenance . That is saying there is NO profit or the add would say it’s PROFITABLE. 

We were talking pre covid , move on, clearly they like everyone struggle during covid

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2021 at 12:00 PM, scubascuba3 said:

We were talking pre covid , move on, clearly they like everyone struggle during covid

I agree, but for a business that relies on small margins, but high turn over, how long into "post covid" will it be before profitability will return?  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Called into Bryan Flowers' Youtube channel to see what was happening with Soi 6.

He does have a dry sense of humour.  How he manages to keep a straight face while delivering these gags is beyond me.  

Anyway, one of his Thai landlords has contacted him to say 1.5 million baht of key money is due.  What planet are they living on?  As he alludes to, they must be living in a cave in Pakistan, totally devoid of current, and ongoing, world events.  

I suspect there will be similar demands in the near future to other business owners, as leases and key money fall due.  

Does a tenant pay, if they have the capacity to do so, or walk away?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

They'll pay. I appreciate the man's sense of humour and his bitterness, but he (and the foreign investors) will pay because of sunk cost fallacy and having nowhere else to go.  They've invested so much in promoting and building up Soi 6 that they won't walk away. If they do, the shops will sit empty for a spell and new tenants will move in when (and if ever) the business climate is right. 

The comment about the tenancy "contracts" reflects a bit of optimism, because this man isn't inexperienced.  Go to court with a wealthy, connected Thai land owner and let us know how it goes; not well would be my guess.  Does anyone here remember what happened with The Haven hotel? Wealthy land owner VS upstart Issan girl (her financier didn't make enemies).  Landowner went scorched earth on upstart and The Haven was reduced to rubble, a loss to many of us who loved the place. 

3 hours ago, peeglen said:

They'll pay. I appreciate the man's sense of humour and his bitterness, but he (and the foreign investors) will pay because of sunk cost fallacy and having nowhere else to go.  They've invested so much in promoting and building up Soi 6 that they won't walk away. If they do, the shops will sit empty for a spell and new tenants will move in when (and if ever) the business climate is right. 

The comment about the tenancy "contracts" reflects a bit of optimism, because this man isn't inexperienced.  Go to court with a wealthy, connected Thai land owner and let us know how it goes; not well would be my guess.  Does anyone here remember what happened with The Haven hotel? Wealthy land owner VS upstart Issan girl (her financier didn't make enemies).  Landowner went scorched earth on upstart and The Haven was reduced to rubble, a loss to many of us who loved the place. 

When you say upstart Isaan girl, wasn't that Steve that owned that hotel restaurant? moved to Soi Lengkee, now closed for sometime

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Called into Bryan Flowers' Youtube channel to see what was happening with Soi 6.

He does have a dry sense of humour.  How he manages to keep a straight face while delivering these gags is beyond me.  

Anyway, one of his Thai landlords has contacted him to say 1.5 million baht of key money is due.  What planet are they living on?  As he alludes to, they must be living in a cave in Pakistan, totally devoid of current, and ongoing, world events.  

I suspect there will be similar demands in the near future to other business owners, as leases and key money fall due.  

He should have stopped paying rent when covid started, that was the big mistake, it was clear to me it had an unknown end date

^ You'll know things are getting really bad when his bar managers start doing livestreams for free drinks. For a guy who on more than one occasion talks about complaining negative foreigners in Pattaya, he doesn't half do his share of whinging and whining now that the business climate is not favourable for himself. . He could just walk away, it's not like it's his only business but disregarding the ego angle I guess the issue is if it's a Soi 6 bar it goes against his monopolistic strategy to even give up one.