Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

4 hours ago, bangkokstick said:

They still have 2 branches and will just open a new one when tourists are back. It's a lot smarter to quit a location to get a better price at a new one.

That Wok and Roll site on the roundabout has been empty for nearly 2 years; they threw in the towel before Covid came along. I could see Kiss ending up there.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Not sure if the rent will be 250k baht or 210k baht a month when the covid care taker discount ends, but I can't see this place paying the rent, let alone recouping the 6 million baht purchase price.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/european-gogo-club-take-over-walking-street-446416

Which agogo is that? I don't recognise it so not a popular one. There were places for sale pre covid

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I guess Leaver can confirm when he wakes up being in the UK but I'm confident it's not Baccara  by the photos, I'm guessing it's an obscure agogo no one went to

I'm an afternoon poster, Scuba.

It's most likely unrecognizable to many as it's a Russian gogo.  

Yes, we tend to forget that many establishments were struggling, and for sale, way before covid, hence this thread.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 8:47 PM, champers said:

La Plage has opened at the failed Witherspoons site on Beach Road. Was busy this evening but have done OK out of rules being relaxed. Luck of the draw.

La Playa getting ready to open on the old Coffee Club building on Beach Rd and Soi 1 junction, Markland site. This looks like the sister of La Plage - same sky blue and white signage, both translate to The Beach in English. Two prime locations with heavy footfall when things return to more normal.

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

I can't believe this thread is still open. It was started pre-covid as a doom and gloom post that Pattaya is stuffed and has sucked life off covid closures ever since...

The thread is even more relevant now, than it was back when I started it.  

When bars / boarders open, and covid rent discounts end, this will be the most expensive time for the businesses left standing.  They will be running at full expenses, but without full tourism and customers.  

Also, many will be 2 years into their lease and key money, with some having these fall due in the near future.  They have had no profits in 2 years to save for these large business expenses.  Some may not have the money to continue.

One only has to look at the rising popularity of the multitude of youtube channels that are showing their viewers what bars, clubs, hotels, restaurants etc are still open, which ones are mothballed, and which ones are closed for good.  These channels have become an industry, and continue to make money for the content providers until today.

Many tourists have their favourite places in Pattaya, and there was, and will be, a content demand by viewers to see what will be left here, when they eventually are able to come back, and it's constantly changing.

Take a look at some websites and see the thousands of businesses and properties for sale or rent, all over Thailand.  Many of them ill not be sold, or tenanted, anytime soon, thus, further closures.  

Free free not to read the thread.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/30/2021 at 4:18 AM, champers said:

La Playa getting ready to open on the old Coffee Club building on Beach Rd and Soi 1 junction, Markland site. This looks like the sister of La Plage - same sky blue and white signage, both translate to The Beach in English. Two prime locations with heavy footfall when things return to more normal.

As just mentioned in another post, as Pattaya / Thailand opens up, covid discounts will end, and Beach Road rents are high.

Tourism will not be back to the numbers that can support such large business expenses for quite some time.  This will be most evident on Walking Street.  

It will be interesting to see if Thai landlords will understand this, and negotiate with their tenants, or simply have the attitude, the boarders are now open, rent returns to the pre covid amount.  

I wish them well, but the next 12 months is going to be a bumpy ride.  

On 12/31/2021 at 10:29 AM, Leaver said:

The thread is even more relevant now, than it was back when I started it.  

When bars / boarders open, and covid rent discounts end, this will be the most expensive time for the businesses left standing.  They will be running at full expenses, but without full tourism and customers.  

Also, many will be 2 years into their lease and key money, with some having these fall due in the near future.  They have had no profits in 2 years to save for these large business expenses.  Some may not have the money to continue.

One only has to look at the rising popularity of the multitude of youtube channels that are showing their viewers what bars, clubs, hotels, restaurants etc are still open, which ones are mothballed, and which ones are closed for good.  These channels have become an industry, and continue to make money for the content providers until today.

Many tourists have their favourite places in Pattaya, and there was, and will be, a content demand by viewers to see what will be left here, when they eventually are able to come back, and it's constantly changing.

Take a look at some websites and see the thousands of businesses and properties for sale or rent, all over Thailand.  Many of them ill not be sold, or tenanted, anytime soon, thus, further closures.  

Free free not to read the thread.  

What a load of <deleted>. You started this thread being a doomsayer and hating on Pattaya. Covid happened and places shut whereby you claimed 'I told you so that places would close' 

Close this thread already, it's beyond ridiculous how much you think you are a bar business genius and yet you've never owned a bar in your life  lol

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 7:36 AM, Leaver said:

I wish them well, but the next 12 months is going to be a bumpy ride.  

Every 12 months has been a bumpy ride for bars in Pattaya and I don't see 2022 being any different. 

4 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

What a load of <deleted>. You started this thread being a doomsayer and hating on Pattaya. Covid happened and places shut whereby you claimed 'I told you so that places would close' 

Close this thread already, it's beyond ridiculous how much you think you are a bar business genius and yet you've never owned a bar in your life  lol

The facts are, bars, and hospitality establishments in general, were struggling way before covid. 

Covid probably sped up the inevitable for many of them.

I don't hate Pattaya.  I like Pattaya, and that's why I chose to live here, but I am also prepared to leave at a moments notice.  I give Thailand the amount of loyalty it gives farang, which is zero.

I don't own a bar, and never will.  I could think of nothing worse than being a slave to a greedy Thai landlord. 

It sounds like you have some skin in the game.  How does trolling this thread help your position?   

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 6:55 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Le Pub is closing for a few days, Mister Egg has covid, interestingly he didn't feel well, daily tests were negative then after a few days showed positive

Just looked at his channel.  I expected to see a clip from him describing his covid experience., but no updates from him for the last 6 days. 

I was under the impression that the vast majority of fully vaccinated people recover within 3 to 5 days from covid.  Hope his ok.  

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

I was under the impression that the vast majority of fully vaccinated people recover within 3 to 5 days from covid.  Hope his ok.  

Hopefully he is ok. His general health may not be great - he had a heart attack a few months back and like many business owners, the uncertainty must have caused him much stress and anxiety. Here's hoping he's ok.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mstevens said:

Hopefully he is ok. His general health may not be great - he had a heart attack a few months back and like many business owners, the uncertainty must have caused him much stress and anxiety. Here's hoping he's ok.

Me too - he's one of the good guys.  Please post on here if you get any updates as to his condition.

Good to see Phil survived covid.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure his bar will survive covid, and that is no criticism of him personally. 

Walking Street was falling out of favour with tourists well before covid struck.  Most likely due to pricing, and the rising popularity of the LK Metro / Soi Baukhao area, which has further increased with Tree Town.  

He has a good number of subscribers, many of whom I gather will call in for a beer with him, but will ultimately, I suspect, have their big nights out on LK Metro and surrounds.  

There would have been a critical point where he could have cashed in on his new found youtube celebrity by moving to a cheaper premises in or around the Soi Baukhao area, which due to cheaper rent, would have been more sustainable in the long term, and profitable, but he decided to stay in the Walking Street area. 

I wish him all the best, but without a market correction in the rents on Walking Street, I can't see his business, and many others in that area, being able to continue in the longer term.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

"• Asking Price: NIL - Rental Only with Key Money"

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/1202159-21-rooms-guesthouse-with-restaurant-near-soi-bua-khao-pattaya-313512

Drop the key money as well and you might have a chance of getting it tenanted.  

a poor ad, no photos, location vague, why would anyone bother

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 7:43 PM, Leaver said:

"• Asking Price: NIL - Rental Only with Key Money"

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/1202159-21-rooms-guesthouse-with-restaurant-near-soi-bua-khao-pattaya-313512

Drop the key money as well and you might have a chance of getting it tenanted.  

I thought this was the "is your favourite bar or restaurant closure" thread, why list a random 21 room guesthouse for sale ad? 

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aussiexpat said:

I thought this was the "is your favourite bar closure" thread, not list every random bar for sale?

It is.  

People's favourites will still be closing.  I posted yet another example.

Who knows, maybe the Bodega Bar and Irish Rovers will be the only bars left standing, but I guess that's all some people need.  ????