Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

4 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

$7 Canuck for a vodka, $10 for a marguerite , $11 for a burrito?????

good Luck to the new owner, ballsy move opening in these times. 

A common mistake by falang restaurant owners is they charge falang prices although we're in Thailand

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

A common mistake by falang restaurant owners is they charge falang prices although we're in Thailand

A common mistake charging more than in my home country, I pay 40-50 percent less than those prices.

I don’t think a restaurant in downtown Vancouver would survive charging those prices, how on eRth does he expect to survive on Soi bigcow?

8 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I know of at least 3 businesses that have tried to negotiate a rent reduction for the period of closures. All have failed.

The problem is they think if they sell they will be able to get their money back, i doubt it for the next year or so, they should just throw in the towel, i doubt they were making much\any profit. Once shops, bars, restaurants are empty landlords will have to have a rethink

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Once shops, bars, restaurants are empty landlords will have to have a rethink

I doubt it,plenty of "new"properties near me that have been empty since newly built 5 years ago....reduce the ridiculously high price to sell....no they actually believe that prices have increased during this period.......:whistling:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Once shops, bars, restaurants are empty landlords will have to have a rethink

But they never do. I've seen several venues closed for long periods because no one will meet the rent demands. Landlords just sit on the property until someone is prepared to meet the price. Its the Thai way.

Happens with houses too. One house near me has been empty for 2 years purely because the landlord is asking silly money for the rent. Buyers market? No such thing in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

But they never do. I've seen several venues closed for long periods because no one will meet the rent demands. Landlords just sit on the property until someone is prepared to meet the price. Its the Thai way.

Happens with houses too. One house near me has been empty for 2 years purely because the landlord is asking silly money for the rent. Buyers market? No such thing in Thailand.

No yearly rates and taxes from local authority to pay, adds to the lack of urgency.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

$7 Canuck for a vodka, $10 for a marguerite , $11 for a burrito?????

good Luck to the new owner, ballsy move opening in these times. 

OK its not cheap but lets have some reviews before they get crucified..Good mexican food is hard to come by..........Sues place is/was pretty good and excellent for Pattaya....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Once they get a handle on property taxes that should change things.

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

No yearly rates and taxes from local authority to pay, adds to the lack of urgency.

Never new this, explains a lot. The Thai landlords must act as a union to uphold prices.

Typical attitude, won't give it away to cheap to farang.

If they have enough capital/income from other sources why should they.

Bukhawo bistro was opposite the bar with the Filipino metal band from memory. Not a romantic meal for two of an evening.

I admire people who do new, innovative, logical things with their offering and marketing.

Only problem is your doing it on cheap charlie alley in Pattaya.

The Fanny Craddock 'every bahts a prisoner' posters on this forum don't venture further than a specials board.

I thought the Great American Sandwich restaurant was very good for the money but even it didn't survive.

Best of luck to them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WillyPlatt said:

I thought the Great American Sandwich restaurant was very good for the money but even it didn't survive.

Best of luck to them.

Subway survives just fine.... 

Great American Sandwich had other issues.

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Subway survives just fine.... 

Great American Sandwich had other issues.

The Great American Sandwich microwaved their sandwiches including the bread........I ate there once and I was one and done......

Subway is better.....But Subways cheapest sandwich now cost 99 baht and a footlong is about 200 baht.....So I don't go there much any more... 

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Could be something to do with the farang rent prices and T-money 

Correct.

It's the Thai landlords that have slowly but surely made Pattaya uncompetitive in the tourism market, when compared to neighboring countries.

Their high rents are passed onto consumers, and they have pushed the western marker to breaking point, possibly past breaking point, as we saw this past high season, pre virus. 

Compare food and beverage for tourists here to Vietnam, for example, and it's not hard to see why Vietnam's tourism increased 28% while Pattaya had one of the quietest high seasons for westerners ever, pre virus.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

The Great American Sandwich microwaved their sandwiches including the bread........I ate there once and I was one and done......

Subway is better.....But Subways cheapest sandwich now cost 99 baht and a footlong is about 200 baht.....So I don't go there much any more... 

I get a footlong and a bottle of water, usually for a few coppers under 200 baht.. but one of the cheaper options. 

Subaway is marginal at 59 THB for a six inch, that seemed to be about four inches in Patts.  Globally, they are in trouble.  Too bad that Pizza Slut is now inedible..not just because of the hot dog and fake seafood toppings, but they changed the sauce to Thai style by making it into a sugary disgust.  

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Correct.

It's the Thai landlords that have slowly but surely made Pattaya uncompetitive in the tourism market, when compared to neighboring countries.

Their high rents are passed onto consumers, and they have pushed the western marker to breaking point, possibly past breaking point, as we saw this past high season, pre virus. 

Compare food and beverage for tourists here to Vietnam, for example, and it's not hard to see why Vietnam's tourism increased 28% while Pattaya had one of the quietest high seasons for westerners ever, pre virus.

For sure - plus the fact a foreigner can’t be an owner operator which would free up at least 3 useless wages on the books . 

6 hours ago, moontang said:

Subaway is marginal at 59 THB for a six inch, that seemed to be about four inches in Patts.  Globally, they are in trouble.

They must be using the cheapest of ingredients to be selling a sandwich at that price, I will be passing on that!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CGW said:

They must be using the cheapest of ingredients to be selling a sandwich at that price, I will be passing on that!

They're not.  The correct prices are in post #1186 (the top of this page for now).

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

One of the Subway shops is for sale, but I was told none of them were doing any good, pre virus. 

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/1202070-great-pattaya-restaurant-and-bar-in-high-foot-traffic-area-314251

When the subways had their sub of the day for 69 baht they were doing good business...And when the sub of the day price was raised to 79 baht they were still doing ok......But when the sub of the day went to 89 baht I noticed business fell off a cliff....Now a small sub cost 99 baht for the cheapest one......People just dont like to pay 100 baht for half a sub...

And Thais just are not huge fans of subway overall thoe some like it....And now subway has no farang tourist only cheap charley expats...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2