Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LOlivier-1081117015253738

L'Olivier
Restaurants posted for sale
Because of various reasons ,we will not open the restaurant anymore ,but we decide to sell. So customers who want to take over the restaurant directly at a friendly price please contact with
066-027-8944 ( Manager)
‭66 88-306-0145‬ (Owner Art )
Thanks for all customer always support L'olivier that time passed ????????????
Address : 413/9-10 Jomtien Complex

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Subway is another good example of like to like. 

Here's the link to Subway in Vietnam. 

https://www.subway.com/en-VN

There's a small seafood sub for 39,000 Vietnam Dong.  That's 52 baht, in 2020.

There's a large pizza sub melt for 49,000 Vietnam Dong.  That's 66 baht.   These exchange figures have come from the XE website, at the time of posting.

I'm surprised that Subway survives in Vietnam. The subs you get from the street stalls are way better and cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

I'm surprised that Subway survives in Vietnam. The subs you get from the street stalls are way better and cheaper.

Not to mention the 27 baht beers all over the place.  ????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

Subway is another good example of like to like. 

Here's the link to Subway in Vietnam. 

https://www.subway.com/en-VN

There's a small seafood sub for 39,000 Vietnam Dong.  That's 52 baht, in 2020.

There's a large pizza sub melt for 49,000 Vietnam Dong.  That's 66 baht.   These exchange figures have come from the XE website, at the time of posting.

The sub you mentioned had increased in price by 43%.  I would be interested to know what caused such a big increase.  A small portion would be inflation, and staff are on minimum wages, or close to.  I doubt the farang owner raised the prices so much, nor the franchise company, and we know utilities have not increased that much, so that leaves rent, and the Thai landlord.  If it was a big rent increase, the Thai landlord/s has effectively will not only send his tenant broke, but has contributed greatly to sending tourists to other destinations.  Eg. Vietnam.  (think the same practice across accommodation, food and beverage)

I don't see many farang business owners driving around in BMW's here, but I see a lot of Thai landlords in BMW's.  It will be interesting to see if the virus causes a correction in the commercial property rental market.

Yes it's amazing over the years how stupid BMW driving Thai landlords have proved to be and how clever their repeat and changing foreign customers paying for those BMW's have turned out to be. No one forces someone to sign a lease it's a matter of personal business judgement, to whinge and whine when the business " plan ' goes wrong is lame and I guess blaming it on the nearest Thai is a convenient scapegoat. 

I'm sure given the age demographic of retired expats in Pattaya that a fair few came here on the back/luck of a historic rise in their domestic property market, to see Pattaya as anything different for those that have benefitted seems hypocrytical. Like others have mentioned in the thread i personally know of a couple of bigger entertainment establishments that have had positive agreements with their landlords from the outset in March.. 

And please don't bother asking again and again stupid questions about what percentage of this or that business will permanently close, reopen or be shut by xmas, it's utterly meaningless speculation that no one could possibly know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Yes it's amazing over the years how stupid BMW driving Thai landlords have proved to be and how clever their repeat and changing foreign customers paying for those BMW's have turned out to be. No one forces someone to sign a lease it's a matter of personal business judgement, to whinge and whine when the business " plan ' goes wrong is lame and I guess blaming it on the nearest Thai is a convenient scapegoat. 

I'm sure given the age demographic of retired expats in Pattaya that a fair few came here on the back/luck of a historic rise in their domestic property market, to see Pattaya as anything different for those that have benefitted seems hypocrytical. Like others have mentioned in the thread i personally know of a couple of bigger entertainment establishments that have had positive agreements with their landlords from the outset in March.. 

And please don't bother asking again and again stupid questions about what percentage of this or that business will permanently close, reopen or be shut by xmas, it's utterly meaningless speculation that no one could possibly know. 

No one can argue with that . Has always amazed me at how farang get caught up every time . There are very few successful farang run businesses, most are money pits just to live the dream of living in Pattaya !(????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

it seems that they all are closed now ????

Most of them quite dingy establishments, but served a purpose when times were good.  

I can't foretell where Pattaya will be in the next five to ten years but it sure isn't going to arrive in anywhere near its present form.  

The global economic recovery has accelerated.  That would have to be good news for Patts, except for those who like the police state, ghost town better.

I visited Jomtien in January and found a shack place across the street from the beach that was near perfect..and cheap.  Mom/pop, daytime only, spicy Thai food.  That, and a cart out front of 711 selling squid on a stick, grilled to order, were the most memorable places from the trip, which was good.  I walked through that bar plaza on the land owned by the hospital, and kept right on walking.  The Eastern European guys I talked to had been going to Soi Buakhao, but were now doing Sangsom on the steps of 711, but had nothing good to say about anything over there.  

IMG_20200107_160055 (1).jpg

Edited by moontang

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm interested to see which walking st agogos re-open, most seemed to be struggling. I haven't seen any new for sale signs up though except Rich agogo

Kiss is a restaurant not a go go, even tho it sounds like it. They were open 24 hours for good cheap meals.

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2019 at 10:00 PM, Leaver said:

Thanks for your example.

Not that I went there much, but there was a thread about The Pig and Whistle, also.

Will we be seeing more closures in the near future?

New owner and new name "Big and Whistle" with the back half now the "Punjabi Palace". 

Hope springs eternal and all that, but can anyone name an Indian bar or caff which has opened in the last two years or so and looks like a viable, going concern. 

I think the Chunky Monkey may be Indian owned, but it is run as a normal caff. I was thinking of the curry house places. 

Edited by rott

21 hours ago, kinyara said:

No one forces someone to sign a lease it's a matter of personal business judgement, to whinge and whine when the business " plan ' goes wrong is lame and I guess blaming it on the nearest Thai is a convenient scapegoat. 

There is a lot a truth to your comment.  The dreamers have been easy pickings in the past, but what of farang that have ran a good operation, only to have a rent increase by a Thai landlord that is looking to tap into the hard work of the farang tenant?  The increase sends the business broke, and the tourist elsewhere.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leaver said:

There is a lot a truth to your comment.  The dreamers have been easy pickings in the past, but what of farang that have ran a good operation, only to have a rent increase by a Thai landlord that is looking to tap into the hard work of the farang tenant?  The increase sends the business broke, and the tourist elsewhere.  

If you have built up a loyal following and a prospective rent increase is that significant it's going to put your business finances at risk, you could try relocating the business to a more economically viable premises. It all depends just how widespread business closures are, hard to say until we see who opens up when they are allowed to and who call it a day. I suspect we won't see the true impact until the year end. 

1 hour ago, rott said:

New owner and new name "Big and Whistle" with the back half now the "Punjabi Palace". 

Hope springs eternal and all that, but can anyone name an Indian bar or caff which has opened in the last two years or so and looks like a viable, going concern. 

I think the Chunky Monkey may be Indian owned, but it is run as a normal caff. I was thinking of the curry house places. 

There is a place next to the Galaxy Bar near the junction of Klang and 2nd Road. It has a name in Indian script and is more of a caff. Pre covid it was always busy, been there less than 2 years. They have another branch in S Pattaya but I don't know how that fares.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kinyara said:

If you have built up a loyal following and a prospective rent increase is that significant it's going to put your business finances at risk, you could try relocating the business to a more economically viable premises. It all depends just how widespread business closures are, hard to say until we see who opens up when they are allowed to and who call it a day. I suspect we won't see the true impact until the year end. 

Rent increases by greedy Thai landlords have been pushing prices up for consumers (tourists) well before the virus. 

It was the quietest high season for western tourists before the virus crisis, with many businesses in distress. 

Businesses were set to close anyway, well before the virus, hence, the heading of my OP. 

Some businesses here have a loyal following of expats and tourists.   That doesn't mean a greedy Thai landlord will not increase the rent by 20% come next lease.  That basically makes a 100 baht beer 120 baht.  Would you pay the extra 20 baht for the Thai landlord's pocket?   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Rent increases by greedy Thai landlords have been pushing prices up for consumers (tourists) well before the virus.

Some businesses here have a loyal following of expats and tourists.   That doesn't mean a greedy Thai landlord will not increase the rent by 20% come next lease.  That basically makes a 100 baht beer 120 baht.  Would you pay the extra 20 baht for the Thai landlord's pocket?   

My favourite places haven't increased their prices in the last few years and certainly for alcohol the last increase I remember was a direct result of the government increasing the tax level. I guess they must have good landlords. Som.emay see this as an opportunity to lock into a good future deal if the Covid crisis results in a lot of vacant units, as you say better to rent than buy. 

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

My favourite places haven't increased their prices in the last few years and certainly for alcohol the last increase I remember was a direct result of the government increasing the tax level. I guess they must have good landlords. Som.emay see this as an opportunity to lock into a good future deal if the Covid crisis results in a lot of vacant units, as you say better to rent than buy. 

Don't forget another silent major expense. My friend had to close his bar after 4 entities asked for payment to avoid business disruptions. Just couldn't make enough to care for his wife and child. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Don't forget another silent major expense. My friend had to close his bar after 4 entities asked for payment to avoid business disruptions. Just couldn't make enough to care for his wife and child. 

Aren't bungs only required when doing things illegal?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Aren't bungs only required when doing things illegal?

Heck no...... they can come up with something or simple general hassle. 

You can suffer death threats if you simply pay the girls more than your competitors. 

Edited by jacko45k