Where to eat - British pub restaurant

Briggsy

Need ideas. I am out of date with Pattaya's dining scene.

Please suggest a British pub restaurant. I have been taken, over, say, the last 2 years to a number of restaurants, often on Lengkee or Chaiyaphun and found the food average. I suspect the people who recommended them were focusing on value for money rather than quality. 

So, I am looking more for quality and ambience rather than a cheap way to fill my stomach. 

At the other end of the scale, I don't need to pay for a live band or prime location.

I just want quality British pub restaurant type food and I am prepared to pay for it.

I welcome your suggestions.

Well The Pig and Whistle shut. 

Retox, Robin's Nest, Steak and Co, Dicey Reillys, Mulligans in The Hilton. 

Rosie O'Grady's. Beefeater.

Different with live music... Hooters.

Edited by jacko45k

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Thanks I don't want Retox nor Hooters.

Where is Dicey Reillys, he asks picking one randomly from the list.

Part of the Royal Garden sprawl next to Avani. Used to be a basement Spinney's (?) supermarket in a long-ago previous existence. Entrance is from 2nd Road. Has dining out front or air conditioned inside. The Filipina crooner is nice.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Part of the Royal Garden sprawl next to Avani. Used to be a basement Spinney's (?) supermarket in a long-ago previous existence. Entrance is from 2nd Road. Has dining out front or air conditioned inside. The Filipina crooner is nice.

No, no live band, no live singers. Just quality food. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Thanks I don't want Retox nor Hooters.

Where is Dicey Reillys, he asks picking one randomly from the list.

If you're thinking Retox on Lengkee maybe. Primarily a breakfast and sports venue. I think they may still have another, larger venue that straddles the 2nd Road end of Soi Honey and the adjacent soi. I recently had fish and chips there and mistakenly added a soup starter thinking the portions may be small. Wrong! The excellent soup came in a proper-sized soup plate with thick, crusty bread and there was maybe 3 big cod fillets and more thick-cut fries than I could handle. I couldn't even finish my pint I was so stuffed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

The crooner is outside.

Ah, maybe, the Retox on Second Road can get back on the list. However I am extremely dubious about any establishment that gets recommendations on the size of its portions 'cos it makes me think the recommender is focussing on value for money rather than quality. 

All crooning pubs and restaurants are out.

Just now, NanLaew said:

If you're thinking Retox on Lengkee maybe. Primarily a breakfast and sports venue. I think they may still have another, larger venue that straddles the 2nd Road end of Soi Honey and the adjacent soi. I recently had fish and chips there and mistakenly added a soup starter thinking the portions may be small. Wrong! The excellent soup came in a proper-sized soup plate with thick, crusty bread and there was maybe 3 big cod fillets and more thick-cut fries than I could handle. I couldn't even finish my pint I was so stuffed.

Yes, Retox Game On,  it runs through from Soi Honey and I think it is soi 10, at the second Rd end. I too have had a good meal there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, Retox Game On,  it runs through from Soi Honey and I think it is soi 10, at the second Rd end. I too have had a good meal there. 

Okay, found it on Googen. It is on the list. Need one or two more. I used to go to Rosies or Rosie O'Grady's on Soi 7. I found the food there to be something like what I am after. Is it still okay / in business?

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

Okay, found it on Googen. It is on the list. Need one or two more. I used to go to Rosies or Rosie O'Grady's on Soi 7. I found the food there to be something like what I am after. Is it still okay / in business?

Yes it is still there and in business. It is always pretty quiet and the food is nothing special but then again, that is in line with Brit pubs.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Ah, maybe, the Retox on Second Road can get back on the list. However I am extremely dubious about any establishment that gets recommendations on the size of its portions 'cos it makes me think the recommender is focussing on value for money rather than quality. 

All crooning pubs and restaurants are out.

Listen, you're the one that wanted some advice and then you suggest that maybe I eat poorly?

On yer bike.

• Like 2

Try The Haven, two doors down from Retox on Soi Lengke. Quiet except when the golfers are in and always excellent food. For mahoosive portions of good Brit food try Nicky's on Soi Buakhao same side as the hospital about another 200m south.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

Just now, Jip99 said:

+1  and Robin Hood.

I can't keep track of Robin Hood, place seems to open and close under various names. How is it now? (Thought Sunday Carvery was great, but service staff dopey!)

3 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Try The Haven, two doors down from Retox on Soi Lengke. Quiet except when the golfers are in and always excellent food. For mahoosive portions of good Brit food try Nicky's on Soi Buakhao same side as the hospital about another 200m south.

Doesn't satisfy the "bar" requirement.

Food good though.

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I can't keep track of Robin Hood, place seems to open and close under various names. How is it now? (Thought Sunday Carvery was great, but service staff dopey!)

Not my cup of tea - and yes the staff were awful. Friends who like a bar 'vibe' seem to enjoy it.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Not my cup of tea - and yes the staff were awful. Friends who like a bar 'vibe' seem to enjoy it.

Now we have 2 posters that say the staff are under par at Robin Hood. Okay, looks like we are back to Retox.

5 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Now we have 2 posters that say the staff are under par at Robin Hood. Okay, looks like we are back to Retox.

Retox Game On........................... not Lengkee.

(IMO)

Edited by Jip99