Details of mandatory health insurance for Non-Imm O-A visas to be announced next week

rooster59

18 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hi. Sorry to be too lazy to read the 48 (!) pages,

but this topic is now more than 1 week old,

so where are the "Details of mandatory health insurance"

that should have been announced this week ? :ermm:

You haven't missed much.

A quick update:

The hand wringing, nightie shredding, panic merchants have commented on a scheme that in all likelihood will not affect them one iota as stated in the OP. They are not on an OA visa but feel the need to share their paranoia of what might happen, however unlikely. Just another typical TVF thread really.

And now the weather:

A severe tropical depression has occurred over the TVF region. Suvarnabhumi is experiencing occasional heavy downpours of tears and inundated with farang leaving.

Isaan is clear with plenty of sunshine. Pattaya and Phuket is still miserable with some clear weather forecast for Hua Hin.

Long term outlook is for of brighter days ahead.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, friend of siam said:

would be really interesting to hear what they really can do if u dont pay cause u dont have cash...maybe offer a payment plan...i think people on retirement visas should be eligable  for  free health care just like thais ..maybe charge them a 1000 euro when giving them the 1y.visa and that should cover the lot

Fits of laughter again. So,  a retirement visa should be equivalent to the years a Thai citizen has worked for their country.

A payment plan ?? It's called your credit card in the West.

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

You haven't missed much.

A quick update:

The hand wringing, nightie shredding, panic merchants have commented on a scheme that in all likelihood will not affect them one iota as stated in the OP. They are not on an OA visa but feel the need to share their paranoia of what might happen, however unlikely. Just another typical TVF thread really.

And now the weather:

A severe tropical depression has occurred over the TVF region. Suvarnabhumi is experiencing occasional heavy downpours of tears and inundated with farang leaving.

Isaan is clear with plenty of sunshine. Pattaya and Phuket is still miserable with some clear weather forecast for Hua Hin.

Long term outlook is for of brighter days ahead.

But always have your incontinence nappies on the ready if a Thai storm happens to hit by surprise ????

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

As an OA visa has to be purchased in the applicant's home country, how could they force them to buy insurance from a Thai company? How does it work with the OX visa?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are there even Thai insurance companies selling insurances to expats? The biggest companies are international insurance companies.

24 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Fits of laughter again. So,  a retirement visa should be equivalent to the years a Thai citizen has worked for their country.

A payment plan ?? It's called your credit card in the West.

How many Thai pays income tax?

~3 million out of a workforce of ~38 million. The free healthcare system costs a fortune for the government. I think they regret that they implemented it.

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

How many Thai pays income tax?

~3 million out of a workforce of ~38 million. The free healthcare system costs a fortune for the government. I think they regret that they implemented it.

It's a poor developing nation. Conversely less than half pay some income tax in Britain. And it's a rich 1st world country.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:36 PM, NCC1701A said:

in the USA the word "scheme" is always used as a verb.

"make plans, especially in a devious way or with intent to do something illegal or wrong."

No, it's also used as a noun for a plan, though sometimes a bit shaky.

noun: scheme; plural noun: schemes
1.     a large-scale systematic plan or arrangement for attaining some particular object or putting a particular idea into effect.
    "a clever marketing scheme"
    synonyms:    plan, project, plan of action, program, strategy, stratagem, game plan;

Also see Schema or Schematic, as in a plan or perhaps a wiring diagram.

27 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

No, it's also used as a noun for a plan, though sometimes a bit shaky.

noun: scheme; plural noun: schemes
1.     a large-scale systematic plan or arrangement for attaining some particular object or putting a particular idea into effect.
    "a clever marketing scheme"
    synonyms:    plan, project, plan of action, program, strategy, stratagem, game plan;

Also see Schema or Schematic, as in a plan or perhaps a wiring diagram.

Oh come on !! Is this some sort of a game in semantics?

5 hours ago, muffy said:

I am retired (USA) and have med insurance for life with Blue Cross cards .What are they going to accept for proof of insurance ,I wonder.????????????????????

Same boat as you, same Insurance which is probably better than any other local insurance you can get here.

On 8/24/2019 at 8:17 PM, Tuvoc said:

He is on good terms with his insurer Pacific Cross (has posted video interviews with them in the past) so maybe it comes from them.

Yes, his "information" came from Pacific Cross. It is not mentioned in the video but in his reply to a question in the comments section. 

On 8/24/2019 at 10:42 PM, ThaiBob said:

The Youtube guy JC (retirecheapjc) just posted a video that the medical insurance requirement for O-A visas has not been implemented and put on the back burner. No idea about his source. 

And the original post mentioned a contact in the insurance game saying there would be an announcement last Thursday.  I assumed at the time it was the insurance industry trying to beat up some business ahead of the announcement

no overpriced thai health insurance is necessary for

1. my wife is working and im covered through her health insurance "prakan sangkhom" which she

receives through her employer.

2. i obained an accident insurance 2 million baht annual fee 5000 thb .

3. severe illness such as cancer, i fly home.

wbr

roobaa01

56 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

1. my wife is working and im covered through her health insurance "prakan sangkhom" which she

wbr

roobaa01

May I ask where home is? us, uk, aus. And how do you maintain insurance in both countries?

1 hour ago, roobaa01 said:

wbr

roobaa01

1)

Not many expats have wives with a really good job and insurance. So, that's not an option for most of the expats.

2)

A personal accident insurance, though, is easy to obtain for an expat,even banks issues them for 5-6000 baht/year if you have a bank account.

3)

I don't think the hospitals in your home country will welcome you with open arms when you come back "home" with cancer after years in Thailand.

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

1)

Not many expats have wives with a really good job and insurance. So, that's not an option for most of the expats.

2)

A personal accident insurance, though, is easy to obtain for an expat,even banks issues them for 5-6000 baht/year if you have a bank account.

3)

I don't think the hospitals in your home country will welcome you with open arms when you come back "home" with cancer after years in Thailand.

Agreed - UNLESS he returns "home" every couple of months. We don't know this jokers methodology and traveling history yet.

19 minutes ago, Melbun said:

Agreed - UNLESS he returns "home" every couple of months. We don't know this jokers methodology and traveling history yet.

You're right,but I don't think he'd be included in his wifes insurance as a tourist. 

On 8/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, tracker1 said:

I would have thought with the millions of tourists flooding Thailand that they would be more of a medical problem then a few hundred expats living here !

Why EU need travel insurance for non EU members?

When have RP of EU, annual health insurance is mandatory, why?

So if in TH new law comes, why the hell so many complains?

3 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Yes, his "information" came from Pacific Cross. It is not mentioned in the video but in his reply to a question in the comments section. 

Just saw that myself. He also lists a contact address for them

[email protected]

He probably earns a commission from every referrals - and good on him !

2 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Why EU need travel insurance for non EU members?

Because a travel insurance for 1 month for a Thai person only cost a few hundred baht. BUT,for an expat who is let's say 65 years old the cost is about 50k or more per year depending on insurance company. For a 70 year old maybe 10-15000 baht more per year. So stop comparing a travel insurance with a health insurance for an expat. It only shows that you haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

20 minutes ago, Thaifriends said:

Because in the EU the insurance is not only mandatory for the insured person, but as well for the insurance company. Because it is mandatory the basic requirements MUST be fulfilled by any insurer. Irrespective of ANY preconditions. Nobody can be turned away. How else can you demand something mandatory that is not possible to be fulfilled by everybody ?

On 8/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, overherebc said:

If you're happy good for you.

I just have the opinion I would never turn my back on my own country.

I will be returning in the next 18 months on a full time basis, always planned to.

Buy a small house and relax there as I'm entitled to do and insurance won't be a problem either.

I also believe anyone who turns their back on UK and becomes a citizen of here should have their right to settle back in UK revoked. ( I still pay tax on my income from UK by the way ). Their right to buy a house in UK should also be revoked and they should be  required to apply for and pay for a visa for visiting UK.

Just my thoughts.

interesting thoughts.  getting PR does not mean you turn your back on your own country.  I'm keeping my US citizenship and will continue to do so even if I have Thai citizenship.  Quite common among expats.  I've yet to meet one who dropped their original citizenship after getting Thai citizenship.

3 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:

interesting thoughts.  getting PR does not mean you turn your back on your own country.  I'm keeping my US citizenship and will continue to do so even if I have Thai citizenship.  Quite common among expats.  I've yet to meet one who dropped their original citizenship after getting Thai citizenship.

Why do you want to be a Thai citizen?

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Why do you want to be a Thai citizen?

to make living here easier.  with PR you still need to get re-entry permits and a work permit.  if i retire here and want to do some part time work somewhere i won't want to have to deal with getting another work permit.  coming and going without worrying about re-entry permits would be nice.

i'm not looking to be accepted in Thai culture or anything like that.  just want to make living here easier, and the best way to do that is through citizenship.

3 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:

to make living here easier.  with PR you still need to get re-entry permits and a work permit.  if i retire here and want to do some part time work somewhere i won't want to have to deal with getting another work permit.  coming and going without worrying about re-entry permits would be nice.

i'm not looking to be accepted in Thai culture or anything like that.  just want to make living here easier, and the best way to do that is through citizenship.

Good luck with the five year and more effort you'll be going through

Archived