Thoughts on "will there be a Real High Season" this year?

joeyg

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Am I complaining? 

Quote please. 

I have already referenced the sentence.  The question about "too little too late" is a form of criticism in effect a complaints because it implies you believe it is too little too late. You need to learn how nuance works.

4 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I have already referenced the sentence.  The question about "too little too late" is a form of criticism in effect a complaints because it implies you believe it is too little too late. You need to learn how nuance works.

Hardly a complaint.

"too little, too late" is my opinion, based on my observations.  Is it critical, yes, it is.  Is such criticism deserved, that's debatable, but there is a reason for the huge change in tourist demographics here.

No "business" wants to lose a part of their market, and Pattaya / Thailand is rapidly losing the lucrative western tourist market, so, for me, anything they do to try to lure that market back is "too little, too late."

20 minutes ago, fhickson said:

who cares?

As I alluded to in my thread, "Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent" I will be a little disappointed to see some, or many, of my favorite places close, if there is no high season.  

I will certainly miss the food at some of my favorite restaurants. 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:52 PM, lapd said:

So let me get this straight.  People on here complained that the flooding was going to drive tourists away.  Now that they are digging up roads to fix the flooding you are saying that that is now going to drive tourists away....rrright.

And they are going pretty fast with that work on beach road.  They were near walking street last week and now they are at Royal Garden.  Anyone know how far they are going?  That's a huge pipe they are putting in there.  Looks like about 5' to 6' diameter.  Big enough to stand inside.

Right they were near Walking st last week. Guess when/where this photo was just taken . If the tourists liked walking by that sorry mess of construction trailer 

trash for the last 5 years - they are going to love this walk to Walking st. Ya all are missing the point here regarding infrastructure "upgrades" Sure they are needed but the

problem is the never ending series of failed projects, redo, failed project ... That creates a sorry construction , construction worker environment. Take the last major work on storm drainage at Nua, Soi 6 and Walking st with 2 meter pipes going off shore. But the did not install pump stations and the piped filled up with sand. I posted a photo.

blob.png

On 9/9/2019 at 7:54 PM, morrobay said:

Right they were near Walking st last week. Guess when/where this photo was just taken . If the tourists liked walking by that sorry mess of construction trailer 

trash for the last 5 years - they are going to love this walk to Walking st. Ya all are missing the point here regarding infrastructure "upgrades" Sure they are needed but the

problem is the never ending series of failed projects, redo, failed project ... That creates a sorry construction , construction worker environment. Take the last major work on storm drainage at Nua, Soi 6 and Walking st with 2 meter pipes going off shore. But the did not install pump stations and the piped filled up with sand. I posted a photo.

Not sure what your point is other than to try find reasons to complain about stuff.  They are going very fast as far as I can tell.  Well past Royal Garden now when they were at walking street a couple weeks ago.  And they are digging stuff up on 2nd Rd and Pattaya Klang as well which I assume is all related to this.  They still need to put the concrete back overtop the new pipe.  Looks like that will be starting soon.  Lots of rebar going in now near walking street.  They are working 24/7 as far as I can tell so they are probably going as fast as they can.

Regarding the high season / low season Pattaya is totally doomed never ending discussion.  Was out walking last night and it looked quite busy to me.  This is on a Tuesday night in the middle of rock bottom low season.  A mix of everything.  Asians, couples, families, single men.  Lots of restaurants were busy.  Same with legit massages and Beer bars.  I don't know what high season looks like but it sure looked busy to me last night for low season.  Yes, even in some of the out of the way off the beaten path areas.  Buakao was a zoo.  Lot of bars hopping with customers and the booze was flowing.

20 hours ago, fhickson said:

are rents dropping in low season, or are they getting priced up like the bars do?

Rents are already too high, which is a cost passed onto the customer for food and beverage and accommodation.  It's one of the reasons Pattaya / Thailand has outpriced itself in the region. 

On 9/11/2019 at 8:55 PM, lapd said:

Lots of restaurants were busy.

Can you name a few?

Same with legit massages and Beer bars. 

Which beer bars?

Yes, even in some of the out of the way off the beaten path areas. 

Such as?

Buakao was a zoo. 

Not what I see.  Even LK Metro is quiet.

Lot of bars hopping with customers

Where?  What names? 

On 9/8/2019 at 12:24 AM, Leaver said:

As I alluded to in my thread, "Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent" I will be a little disappointed to see some, or many, of my favorite places close, if there is no high season.  

I will certainly miss the food at some of my favorite restaurants. 

go next store, no big deal. the food, beer and people are all pretty much the same unless your dining at 4 star joints.

sounds like you own a bar or restaurant.

3 hours ago, fhickson said:

go next store, no big deal. the food, beer and people are all pretty much the same unless your dining at 4 star joints.

sounds like you own a bar or restaurant.

I don't own a bar or restaurant here.

"Next door" will be packed, because only the bigger establishments will survive.  Their prices will also rise. 

Most of the small establishments will close.  So western expats will have a smaller choice of venues, and less variety of food and beverage to chose from. 

30 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Most of the small establishments will close.  So western expats will have a smaller choice of venues, and less variety of food and beverage to chose from.

Western Expats have more choice than ever to eat cheap in Pattaya.... at the moment. But on a downward spiral it's tough to be already trading at the lower end.

On 8/18/2019 at 12:59 PM, joeyg said:

The list is too long,  We used to be treated like kings,  hard to find a fit girl,  prices of many things less in our home countries blah, blah, blah.

It's not a Pattaya specific problem. It's a sign of the times, worldwide. Men don't need to frequent bars these days to find fit girls and fit girls don't need to work in bars to find "fit men". These days It is all achieved with ease, online. From a purely selfish point of view, the sooner the bars in Pattaya close down the better. I didn't come here for bars and they will not be missed. When the bars close down, Pattaya will actually do much better as it can become a real tourist resort. It's already halfway there...

One thing I never concern myself with is how busy the tourist industry is. I much prefer quieter times of the year, but there are actually no quiet times. The roads are always congested. It's the redundancy of too many of the same businesses in Pattaya that may give the place a quiet (business) feel, because in Pattaya there are too many of the same stores, shops and businesses supplying exactly the same thing, and as a result, most do badly. You only have to count all the Family Mart and 7Elevens on nearly every street to see this strange quirk. There are corners with 7Elevens on both sides of the intersection with a Tesco Mini next door and possibly a Family Mart nearby and then 5 more down the street, all supplying exactly the same products 24/7. It's wonderful for consumers and one of the things I love about Pattaya.

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Good, maybe some of those lard-asses will lose a few Kilos.  Now, why are you so worried about the tourist traffic in Pattaya again?  Do you turn tricks near the Jomtien sign, or have similar vested interest? 

17 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Western Expats have more choice than ever to eat cheap in Pattaya.... at the moment. But on a downward spiral it's tough to be already trading at the lower end.

This is what I am trying to explain.

In the past, westerners were the majority of tourists to Pattaya, so the majority of F & B businesses, and accommodation, were catering to that market, and there are / were a lot of these businesses.

Now, the majority of tourists to Pattaya are Chinese and Indians.  Initially, the Indians, for example, will buy up cheap western establishments and convert them into Indian restaurants, for example. 

This means less businesses catering for westerners, which means less variety and choice for westerners, both tourists and expats, alike. 

5 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Good, maybe some of those lard-asses will lose a few Kilos.  Now, why are you so worried about the tourist traffic in Pattaya again?  Do you turn tricks near the Jomtien sign, or have similar vested interest? 

Another one who doesn't get it.

Businesses that are set up to cater for westerner tourists also pick up a lot of western expats customers. 

Take out the western tourists, and we are seeing that now, and many of these smaller businesses will close, and will most likely be converted to a business catering for Indians or Chinese.

Some of these smaller businesses my be a favorite business, or closest business, for many.  These businesses very well may offer a good product, in pleasant surroundings, with good service, but may still close, due to the lack of western tourists.  They may have been in business for several years.  One example is The Pig and Whistle. 

Eventually, that leaves tourists, and expats, which is me and you, with less western businesses to chose from, which means less products to chose from, and most likely, higher prices, with less service.   

On 9/14/2019 at 2:14 PM, Leaver said:

I don't own a bar or restaurant here.

"Next door" will be packed, because only the bigger establishments will survive.  Their prices will also rise. 

small choie of venues?

thailand is packed with cheap food, everywhere you go. i cant even get off my doorstep and someone is selling food, drinks, snacks, fresh fruit, espresso...if you cant get service from a local thai eatery your doing something very wrong.

maybe your focused on these smaller overpriced expat type food places that sell hamburgers, western breakfasts where they put a hot dog on the plate for sausage, etc.

ive never really liked those, and dont particularly care if they were to close down. many expats get attached to these places because its familiar and the owners are always arss lickers.

21 hours ago, fhickson said:

small choie of venues?

thailand is packed with cheap food, everywhere you go. i cant even get off my doorstep and someone is selling food, drinks, snacks, fresh fruit, espresso...if you cant get service from a local thai eatery your doing something very wrong.

maybe your focused on these smaller overpriced expat type food places that sell hamburgers, western breakfasts where they put a hot dog on the plate for sausage, etc.

ive never really liked those, and dont particularly care if they were to close down. many expats get attached to these places because its familiar and the owners are always arss lickers.

Yes, I am focused on small expat style food places. 

Would you care to comment on how many of them will still be open, say, 2 years from now?

Archived