Majority of Britons say any Brexit deal should be put to referendum - poll

snoop1130

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, lungbing said:

And if remain wins can we have another one?  Best of five perhaps?

Nothing to do with Remain or Leave but people (families/poverty) should focus their decent living what government can promise.  

14 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I think we already had a referendum.

maybe there was a referendum that I missed, asking if they want a referendum..????? or how do "they" know there is a "majority" who want xxx.. wasn't it the expectation that the original vote would be to stay in.. they got that wrong, so how can you believe any other statements about "majority" ??? when no vote has been taken... polls have been notoriously wrong

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

And what if after a vote there is another 3 years of chaos ,because the losers dont agree? another vote ?

That would not be the case. There has been no binding referendum. So make the next one binding.

24 minutes ago, Sujo said:

That would not be the case. There has been no binding referendum. So make the next one binding.

Lord Monewden (former head of the remain campaign) knows:-

A TOP Remain campaigner has called on MPs to “get on with Brexit” and respect the “democratic process” as he dismissed calls for a second referendum to defy the will of the people.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1168355/brexit-news-brexit-no-deal-Lord-Rose-of-Monewden-comment-brexit

1 hour ago, St George said:

I think you are mistaken.

I think you know you are mistaken.

The EU know you are mistaken

The referendums are advisory, it is up to the Government to decide what is best for the economy of the Country. Secondly the law on referendums state that a majority of 55% of the electorate is necessary for the government to take any action. The majority was only 52% so the Government was wrong to start the process  to leave the EU. Both Switzerland and Holland had similar referendums without a 55% majority and did not leave as they follow the democratic procedure.

3 minutes ago, Estrada said:

The referendums are advisory, it is up to the Government to decide what is best for the economy of the Country. Secondly the law on referendums state that a majority of 55% of the electorate is necessary for the government to take any action. The majority was only 52% so the Government was wrong to start the process  to leave the EU. Both Switzerland and Holland had similar referendums without a 55% majority and did not leave as they follow the democratic procedure.

Link to that law please? Never heard of it. have you got the right country?

Just over half of Britons back any final Brexit deal or agreement being put to a referendum, a poll showed on Wednesday 

Lies! Just over half of the people polled may have said they would back it.

Mr Trump, please sir there is fake news here!

1 hour ago, St George said:

Lord Monewden (former head of the remain campaign) knows:-

A TOP Remain campaigner has called on MPs to “get on with Brexit” and respect the “democratic process” as he dismissed calls for a second referendum to defy the will of the people.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1168355/brexit-news-brexit-no-deal-Lord-Rose-of-Monewden-comment-brexit

Excuse me if I don't shout on TV. How is it the "Will of The People" when 63% of the population did not vote for BREXIT. Secondly, Lord Rose of Monewdan is still a remainer and he is leaving it up to Parliament to make the right decision to stop the 3 years and probably another 3 years of severe damage to the UK economy. Lord Rose is in the house of Lords and hardly ever turns up. It is up to the House of Commons to make the right decision for the benefit of the Country and not my friend Lord Bamford of JCB who gave the Conservatives GBP635,000 to fund their BREXIT campaign and a tidy sum to finance Boris. All this to benefit J.C.B. and Tony Bamford and his mates who don't want the EU getting too close to their offshore finances.

Don't the politicians understand what they are doing? Parliament has been divided over the EU for decades.  

To settle the matter once and for all Parliament voted to hand the decision to the people.   We had an informed, fiercely debated campaign, with the largest voting turnout in our history, followed by a decisive referendum result.  From the campaign it had been clearly understood that Britain was to take back sovereign control of its laws, its money and its borders.  

It had been clearly explained by both sides of the argument that 'a vote to leave is a vote to leave the single market'.

Parliament then voted to trigger the article 50 process with a fixed 2 year time line after which we would leave.

We hoped for a deal, as the Brexit Secretary said, a Canada + deal, but clearly there was no guarantee as it partly depended on the attitude of the EU.

Yet still, for 3 years Members of Parliament, including members of the Government itself, have consistently undermined any attempt to properly leave.   

Don't the Politicians understand that if they stop Brexit they will destroy the democratic process in this country.  Then what?  Have they thought to a future without trust and belief in the democratic process? 

Polls got it very wrong before the referendum (which is why I read polls with scepticism), and I gather this poll is possibly even more unreliable than others?

Nonetheless, as our govt. and MPs have proven themselves untrustworthy - I'm inclined to agree that another referendum is probably necessary.

The options should (of course) be:

1) Accept the deal agreed between UK and EU

2) Reject the deal and leave with no deal

Why only these two options?  Because we've already had a referendum on whether to remain or leave.

12 hours ago, the guest said:

Not true, the majority voted to leave, end of ! Democracy must be respected, otherwise UK will become yet another Banana Republic.

Not possible. Bananas won't grow in our climate.

Mind you, with global warming/global heating/climate change/climate disruption/climate crisis/climate disaster/climate catastrophe looming, who knows?

43 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

Polls got it very wrong before the referendum (which is why I read polls with scepticism), and I gather this poll is possibly even more unreliable than others?

Nonetheless, as our govt. and MPs have proven themselves untrustworthy - I'm inclined to agree that another referendum is probably necessary.

Why only these two options?  Because we've already had a referendum on whether to remain or leave.

No, that's a bit 'gamey' isn't it?  The poll would be about the final deal :  accept/reject.  

What happens thereafter would be up to Parliament.  So back to square one, which is where we always land up, and always will land up when the main issue is avoided.

We either go ahead with Brexit regardless, or revoke.  There is no appetite for either, but there it is.  That's the choice!

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does it matter?

It seems most UK politicians don't care what is good for the country and the majority of the UK citizens.

They do what they think is good for them and what is good for their party.

And that is obviously the case with most or all UK political parties. Disgusting!

I think that's unfortunately true in virtually every country these days.

13 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

No, that's a bit 'gamey' isn't it?  The poll would be about the final deal :  accept/reject.  

What happens thereafter would be up to Parliament.  So back to square one, which is where we always land up, and always will land up when the main issue is avoided.

We either go ahead with Brexit regardless, or revoke.  There is no appetite for either, but there it is.  That's the choice!

As you say, if a further referendum was limited to accept/reject then it would be again "up to Parliament" - and they've proven themselves to be incapable of doing anything other than representing their own interests.....

"So back to square one, which is where we always land up, and always will land up when the main issue is avoided."

Agree entirely.  The main issue is that there was a referendum, and that the result was to leave the EU.

Hence my 'argument' re. another referendum and democratically acceptable options.  Edit - a referendum based on BRINO/remain is not at all funny....

7 hours ago, Snackbar said:

1133 people completed an online Kantar survey. The CEO Eric Salama works for the Labour Party. 

He's a researcher and speechwriter to the UK Labour Party Foreign Affairs Team in the House of Commons. Not that this is relevant, of course.

59 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

But we had a previous referendum to stay in.

The usual Brexit nonsense that because they won by a small margin it must never ever be challenged. Seems they're all <deleted>-scared of democracy really. No one must ever change their mind; and we must pretend that referendums aren't just advisory!

Any future referendum must include:

1. Leaving with no deal.

2. Leaving with the deal currently on the table, whatever that is at the time.

3. Remaining with the current UK membership deal.

Intelligent people can then reason between the 3 to decide the one that's best for the UK's future while Brexiters can cry in their beer because they didn't get their own way.

5 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

If it was  put as a  "binding" referendum that would rule out  any further dispute.

But the government promised last referendum would be binding! Let's get that one out of the way first, eh?

Archived