Tax on imports

lujanit

Hi All,

I remember something about Thailand enforcing tax on imported goods however I cannot remember the trigger value.  Maybe 900 baht?

I am in the process of ordering multiple items via Aliexpress (thanks Crossy).  Most items are under 900 baht yet some are above.  Will I be taxed on those over 900 baht and how is it collected?

TIA

Most stuff coming via regular post / EMS will get through unscathed, even with values of several hundred dollars.

The killers are the couriers, sadly for larger ticket / heavier items there's no alternative.

I'm waiting to see how badly I get screwed on some solar inverters coming via FedEx ????

Thank you Lopburi and Crossy.  All the things I have ordered come from China and under 1500 Baht so hopefully I am safe.

I do not to use Fedex or DHL as I was stung several years ago for eyeglasses sent from Singapore via DHL. They wanted 3000 baht yet my wife negotiated down to 1000 baht. These couriers are just a rip-off.

8 hours ago, lujanit said:

All the things I have ordered come from China and under 1500 Baht so hopefully I am safe.

I do not to use Fedex or DHL as I was stung several years ago for eyeglasses sent from Singapore via DHL. They wanted 3000 baht yet my wife negotiated down to 1000 baht. These couriers are just a rip-off

1,500 is right on the edge: maybe yes, maybe no.  Coming from China is not a factor.  What matters is the customs & sales tax rules.  I've been hit right at 1,000 baht, but another parcel sailed through at 1,500.  This is Thailand!

Best case: You'll be safe and pay nothing.

Middle case: You'll get hit with duties and tax.  For small amounts you'll get a notice from your nearest Post Office to go there.  Show the notice, pay the amount due, and you'll be given your parcel.  You don't need to speak any Thai at all.  I've found Post Office people here very helpful.  They don't smile, but they are helpful.

Worst case: You'll get hit with duties and tax and be required to go to the Customs Service postal facility at Laksi (out near Chaeng Whattana).  I've been twice, it's not terrible.  But it is difficult to find -- take a Thai guide if you must go there.

8 hours ago, RLAretired said:

Coming from China is not a factor.

It is when value is listed low or sample - which often is the case in my experience.

8 hours ago, RLAretired said:

1,500 is right on the edge: maybe yes, maybe no. 

1.500 is the official duty marker but includes cost of transport but if by post would not likely be questioned as long as value 1500 or less.

The Customs procedure for goods arriving in Thailand by post
The goods arriving in Thailand by post are classified into three types:
  1. Category 1 Goods exempted from duty, which is goods imported by post and has Custom value, including freight and insurance charges, of no more than 1,500 baht or samples with no commercial value, which will be used for exhibition only and are not prohibited or restricted goods. For this category of goods, they will be handed over to Thailand Co., Ltd. to distribute to recipients.

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160922_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_02

2 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Is there a list of the import tariffs online? Is it based solely on monetary value or do different items have different rates etc?

And do customs stick to them? :whistling:

RAZZ

Like many things here, depends who you get on the day.

There  useful customs tools and info in the pinned topic at the top of the general forum.

20 hours ago, lujanit said:

Thank you Lopburi and Crossy.  All the things I have ordered come from China and under 1500 Baht so hopefully I am safe.

I do not to use Fedex or DHL as I was stung several years ago for eyeglasses sent from Singapore via DHL. They wanted 3000 baht yet my wife negotiated down to 1000 baht. These couriers are just a rip-off.

The couriers aren't a rip-off, you are avoiding import tax and getting away with it.

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The couriers aren't a rip-off, you are avoiding import tax and getting away with it.

If the couriers are not in it for themselves how come you can haggle with them?

Well my inverters have arrived ????

Duty = 10% of CIF value + VAT @ 7%

No additional FedEx charges ????

Tariff code used 85044040, described as "Inverter sample".

One is a happy bunny.

Archived