Money laundering offences land Dutch man, his Thai wife in jail for a long time

snoop1130

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

So charged with money laundering,but not  with exporting  marijuana,?

seems strange,i am sure his assets will find a good home.

Also no bail for him,but murderers..yes.

regards worgeordie

Yeah, here is just 'twisted' as I like to say.

Often, we experience different rules or regulations at different times. They are like that for a reason. Not to mention unknown influences or corruption. But hey, stay low. I'd never have the eggs to do such things as this guy.

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

The whole case has been a farce.

The Dutch government should hang their heads in shame.

Hopefully some powerful people and the media in the Netherlands pick up on this story and create a storm so that both these people are released asap.

Absolutely outrageous story.

The only winners here are the corrupt officials who will have a nice earner on the assets/proceeds.

Disgusting.

so there was nothing wrong then ?

everything was legal and above board

I cast no judgment but you seem to know 

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, dimitriv said:

It is strange that you can get convicted in Thailand for something you did in The Netherlands and also was allowed to do that in that country.

well you can't 

and although a few people on here think they know what went on - does anyone really know

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, LaoPo said:

It's better to leave your country with all taxes and other debts paid, or face eventual very serious consequences. Many criminals and tax evaders "think" they can get away with (legal or not) crimes, once they settle in Thailand, but they would be much better off in their own country...

nailed it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, smedly said:

There is no Thai jail big enough :post-4641-1156694572:

I was referring to money laundering - where could they put them all and who would put them there ?

On the current topic - the question is - did anyone break any laws in Thailand, forget about the business in the Netherlands which sort of confuses the issue - he brought a pile of money into Thailand

The Assets - where do they end up ?...……………. we all have our thoughts on that one

• Confused 1

Whats going to happen when the Thai Government starts asking Retirees to prove where they got the Bht 800,000 needed in a Thai bank or for that matter where any of us got our money from to purchase properties in Thailand.

Will we need to show our tax records from our home country going back many years.

Don't laugh, it could happen

• Sad 1

So he was using the internet to sell weed from Holland to willing buyers and it is legal over there to do so.  None of this weed ever was shipped to Thailand nor did it ever touch Thailand soil.  But he made lots of money doing this and obviously wasn't sharing his good fortune adequately with the surfeit of local officials that felt entitled to a share.  Guilty as charged - case closed.

Edited by remorhaz
grammar
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, tgw said:

the whole case doesn't seem to make sense.

From what I read before about the case, apparently, he was sentenced in Thailand for business that entirely took place within the Netherlands, where - AFAIK - his activities were legal.

yes i agree

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never quite understood the seemingly pointless Thai legal process of courts sentencing people to ridiculously long prison terms for what they've been accused of, and then saying, oh by the way, the pertinent law limits the prison time to 1/10th or whatever of the sentenced time, so we're going to give him the 1/10th....

Why not just follow the law from the get-go, and if the maximum sentence allowed under the law is 20 years, then sentence the poor soul to 20 years and be done with it.... 

The wife, meanwhile, after 5 years credit for time already served, should be out of the streets again and a free lady within a year or two. And probably ending up being divorced and free to marry again, since hubby seemingly is going to be put away, or perhaps deported abroad at some point, for a long time.

It is a sign of massive weakness on the part of the judiciary. 

12 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So charged with money laundering,but not  with exporting  marijuana,?

seems strange,i am sure his assets will find a good home.

Also no bail for him,but murderers..yes.

regards worgeordie

Unfortunately bail's seems to be given only in cases where the vultures do not have free access to the assets ….

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Why not just follow the law from the get-go,

Which is exactly what the courts do...

he committed 15 separate offences to which each one is awarded a sentence in terms of years,

these are obviously totaled together & then the court decides on the severity of the overall offence as to what jail term should be awarded...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

if the maximum sentence allowed under the law is 20 years, then sentence the poor soul to 20 years and be done with it

The maximum allowable by law is 50 years, even for lese majestic violations.

But it seems the Thai courts want to present themselves as humanitarian/caring by sentencing upwards to over 100 years for some convictions, then roll it back to the maximum citing some human cause such as "gave evidence important to the case" (my translation is "confession"). In other words the Thai courts operate not only by the laws but by personal attributes. It's more of the "good person" philosophy typically projected by authoritarian influences that promotes decisions according to personal opinion over law by "good people."

This story seems to have changed from the initial one of doing him over for selling  weed in the Netherlands and committing other ‘crimes’ (as deemed by Thailand) yet not on thai soil, to now ‘exporting’? If you can be charged for offences not committed in a country I would suggest every Thai tourist be jailed on entry to any country for traffic offences - at the very least!

• Confused 1