Your favored movie.

olfu

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, a3tsw said:

2001 : A Space Odyssey 

The Planet of the Apes (Charlton Heston)

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Dr Strangelove

The Day The Earth Stood Still  (1951 Robert Wise)

The Great Escape

Dances With Wolves

Blade Runner

Honorable Mention:

The Year Of Living Dangerously (Had an amazing relationship with a Vietnamese woman similar to the story line of this film).

Hmm, hard to list just one. As small/short a list as I can come up with.

Apocalypse Now (the original and not the "Redux" version, which added parts that broke up the flow, contradicted characters, and made a relatively long movie interminably so)

2001: A Space Odyssey - Pre-CGI era and still one of the most visually stunning films ever, plus thought-provoking plot, that makes you truly think days, years, even decades after viewing it.

Patton - Brilliant combination of biography and war movie, with one of the best acting performances ever by George C. Scott.

Spartacus - Another combo film; action/adventure but really, mostly a love story. Outstanding, ensemble cast.

The original three StarWars movies.

I remember I watched them in a cinema triple feature one after the other for 6 hours or so. Amazing!

I would love to do that again if they would play them like that again in a cinema with a big screen and great sound system.

qrhmh6813kh21.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

I like to watch bridge over the River Kwai because I played a few parts in it, when I lived in Sri Lanka. It brings back memories of that lovely country before it had all its problems. ( incidentally the film was made in Sri Lanka not Thailand

5 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

Mine is "Goodfellas". It is a great example of what happens when some people think they can grab money without working. In the beginning all is well - power, money, and good times, but by the end the wiseguys have to look over their shoulders every minute of the day to avoid violence. 

Well cast, well directed and I understand quite accurate in covering the life of Henry Hill. The events in the story are altered due to time limits in a movie. According to the book "Wise Guys", the movie did not even touch on all of Henry's businesses, such as rigging college basketball games.

There is something similar coming out on Netflix if it hasn't already come out, it's called The Irishman.

My two favorite actors playing side by side again. Have always loved these kind of wiseguy movies, Godfather, Scarface, Goodfellas as you mentioned and the likes.

Although my favorite movie is Fanny (1961) with Leslie Caron, I was taken by this emotional love story, something totally different, but then again, I was young and stupid. 

John Wayne’s 1960 movie “The Alamo” had a great impact on me when I saw it in the movie theatre as a kid. My grandparents dropped me off at the theatre and picked me up after the movie. I was nine years old. Always a favorite.

But...2001, A Space Odyssey big impact also for me when it came out. 

Many good movies posted so far; many far-from-good, also.  

My favourite is Tokyo Story directed by Yasujiro Ozu.  Favourite English language film, probably Manhattan directed by Woody Allen.  Honourable mention to Travels With My Aunt directed by George Cukor.

Can't answer that as I have hundreds of movies I really like over many decades of movie watching.

Movie I watched most- The Beach, because I missed Thailand and it was on at the Prince Charles in London, so very cheap to go to movies there.

Not a very good movie though- De Caprio ruined the plot and therefor the entire reason for the story, but it did have lots of Thai scenery in it.

Movies I like the most though would be almost anything by Studio Ghibli- feel good movies that make one feel happy.

20 hours ago, Catoni said:

John Wayne’s 1960 movie “The Alamo” had a great impact on me when I saw it in the movie theatre as a kid. My grandparents dropped me off at the theatre and picked me up after the movie. I was nine years old. Always a favorite.

But...2001, A Space Odyssey big impact also for me when it came out. 

If we are going back that far, "Old Yeller" was pretty good. Still is when I saw it a while back.

Some of the John Wayne movies were excellent. The Quiet Man is still a cult movie and not PC at all.

Treasure of the sierra madre...'I catch ye stealing our water again I'll let it outta ye in little round holes...'

The seven samurai is a close second...to parrot the observations of 65 years of reviews 'the greatest action film ever made'...in the last scene yer in the mud and the blood using conventional 1954 equipment with charging horsemen and fearless swordsmen...CGI is fer pussies...

On 8/30/2019 at 10:57 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If we are going back that far, "Old Yeller" was pretty good. Still is when I saw it a while back.

Some of the John Wayne movies were excellent. The Quiet Man is still a cult movie and not PC at all.

Another one from that era that impacted me was 'Zulu'. Based on real life story of the battle of Rorke's drift in 1987 ... classic.

Archived