Requirement to keep outdated 90 day reports

Is there a new requirement to keep outdated 90 day reports to show to Immigration? I've haven't been asked to show them in the past. I had thought that Immigration already had records of all the 90 day reports in their computer system.

However, the firm that helps me with visa extensions now wants copies of outdated 90 day reports.  For example, the firm wants to show Immigration a 90 day report from July that would have been good through October. Yet I have a new TM6 from an overseas this month which is now the most up to date document.

Although I have the copy of the old 90 report, I'd prefer to settle this issue now if I don't need to keep them. With all the other paperwork flying about these days, not too interested in having to keep more pieces if they aren't really needed.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I have seen doc lists - these are published by all sorts of folks: first-hand reports, agregators, web-sites, law firms, posts here - which sometimes mention "past 90-day report forms", often followed by "if applicable" or "if available".

What all this means, or how it might be enforced by any number of the thousands of IOs in all the offices, is difficult to say.

I would hope that our 90-day "history" is available on line for IOs to review if necessary?

I usually include my two most recent 90-day reports (done online, so app + next appt). Whether these are required is unknown.

If you have them, include them. If not, what can you do?

Personally I scan everything Imm related so have it in digital form.

And I can view all 90-day reports on line, or via the mobile app.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I don't have any records of 90 day reports, I go to the IO (15Km away) the officer removes the slip of paper from my passport and clips a new one in, end of story.

So you get a different person's passport details on the back of the new 90 day slip !    LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's only a requirement if you stay in the country as they will remove the old one and replace it by a new one. As you exited the country you are a new visitor and therefore you have no 90 days report. All the old ones are useless in that case. But of course if you end up with a newbie immigration officer he might ask for it anyway and even if you tell him that's not required he will not want to lose face and still ask for it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I have seen doc lists - these are published by all sorts of folks: first-hand reports, agregators, web-sites, law firms, posts here - which sometimes mention "past 90-day report forms", often followed by "if applicable" or "if available".

What all this means, or how it might be enforced by any number of the thousands of IOs in all the offices, is difficult to say.

I would hope that our 90-day "history" is available on line for IOs to review if necessary?

I usually include my two most recent 90-day reports (done online, so app + next appt). Whether these are required is unknown.

I have never heard of anything so stupid. The form I fill out for my 90 day report have all been retained by the immigration officer. By the way why do they make us fill form out for a 90 day report. There have been times when the Immigration officer has thrown it in the bin and not needed it which translates to me that they enjoy making life as complicated as possible. When your passport number and name are entered on their computer it automatically prints the same or similar form with a perforation at the bottom of it  which automatically gives a date for your next report.. Filling all these forms out is like Immigration is 20 years behind the rest of the world for something we shouldn't not have to do anyway!!!! So there is no mistake working out when 90 days is as sometimes Immigration used to get my next 90 day date wrong!!!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 7:17 AM, soalbundy said:

I don't have any records of 90 day reports, I go to the IO (15Km away) the officer removes the slip of paper from my passport and clips a new one in, end of story.

Same here. 

Don't even have to sign anything. 

Been this way for a couple of years or longer now. 

If your Immigrations office processes 90-day reports using a bar-coded receipt, it makes things quicker for subsequent 90-day reports if you keep the bar-coded receipt, even if that report receipt is from many, many months ago.  

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

It seems your "Agent" does not know/understand the rules.  I suggest you find yourself a better Agent or just do it yourself.

Not an "Agent" really, but my book keeping firm.  It sounds like they've run across rogue IOs who ask for this.  I wanted to clarify what the actual rules were, though, if only for future reference. 

Regarding doing this myself, renewing the Non-B business visa extension isn't something I've felt like horsing around with each year.  My book keeper has done just fine in the past, so I don't plan to find a "better" one.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 7:17 AM, soalbundy said:

You are correct. That's the procedure.

On 8/29/2019 at 7:20 AM, mtls2005 said:

The paper you print out when doing the 90 days report online is equal to the slip you get from Immigration when you do the report there. It's just telling you the so called Due Date for next report and it's supposed to be stapled inside your passport. 

On 8/29/2019 at 2:19 PM, jamestip1947 said:

I have never heard of anything so stupid. The form I fill out for my 90 day report have all been retained by the immigration officer. By the way why do they make us fill form out for a 90 day report. There have been times when the Immigration officer has thrown it in the bin and not needed it which translates to me that they enjoy making life as complicated as possible. When your passport number and name are entered on their computer it automatically prints the same or similar form with a perforation at the bottom of it  which automatically gives a date for your next report.. Filling all these forms out is like Immigration is 20 years behind the rest of the world for something we shouldn't not have to do anyway!!!! So there is no mistake working out when 90 days is as sometimes Immigration used to get my next 90 day date wrong!!!

For me it depends what I O does it 1. just sign the form ( i think he can't work the computer ) 2. do nothing and new date stapled in. 3. fill out the complete form. Once i genuinely got one to come back on 30 feb ! no BS.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:08 AM, Misty said:

However, the firm that helps me with visa extensions now wants copies of outdated 90 day reports.  For example, the firm wants to show Immigration a 90 day report from July that would have been good through October. Yet I have a new TM6 from an overseas this month which is now the most up to date document.

You mean your AGENT. helps you (?) don't you mean they charge you a fat fee, and your bank acc is at the nearest bank to immigration. just a wild guess.

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You mean your AGENT. helps you (?) don't you mean they charge you a fat fee, and your bank acc is at the nearest bank to immigration. just a wild guess.

Ha!  Nope.  Try again.

50 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I could not agree more. I was referring only to the 90 day report.

Got it, thanks - as per more original post I just had a question on whether there was a genuine requirement to keep old 90 reports for the purposes of doing visa extensions.  (I asked because my book keeper who handles the paperwork was told by Immigration that I need to supply old copies.)

The answer seems to be there is no real requirement to keep old 90 reports for the purpose of doing visa extentions, however nevertheless some IOs may ask for it anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Misty said:

however nevertheless some IOs may ask for it anyway.

Demanding obscure and meaningless bits of paper is power, money and influence to an IO. 

If it is no hardship just keep it "just in case".  I personally scan and keep everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Demanding obscure and meaningless bits of paper is power, money and influence to an IO. 

If it is no hardship just keep it "just in case".  I personally scan and keep everything.

There's no requirement what so ever about keeping 90 days slips (not reports) when doing them online. I don't even think Immigration saves the old ones. Thats what computers are for. The slip just tells you next Due Date,nothing else.

32 minutes ago, Autonuaq said:

The immigration officers always keeps my old 90 day report. This is going on for a long as I can recal.

I think you are confusing the TM47 form with the 90 days slip. You only use the TM47 the first time you do the 90 days report. After that when doing 90 days reports you just need your passport with the 90 days slip stapled inside,and the IO replaces the old one with the new one. The slip is just showing the Due Date for next 90 days report. I don't know where you're living,but what I just described is the procedure by the book,and that's how the 90 days report works for me and every other expat in our province. There's no "old report" to keep.

• Thanks 1