Right of way at T intersection

Kenny202

I have made following driving experiences in my almost 7 years of Thailand:

1. The bigger and heavier does not have, but takes the right of way, i.e. truck over minibus, minivus over pick-up, pick-up over limousine, limousine over motorbike, motorbike over pedestrians

2. The one breaking later wins the right of way

3. Always expect the unthinkable

4. The only way to survive, avoid accidents and arguments, is to drive defensively

10 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I think most road rules here are same as back home

How many “stop signs” do you see while driving everyday ? Stop signs give you right of way (it does not mean even a stop sign helps) which we don’t see any here.!!! only at the time of test for driver’s license. Sometime even a red light wont help. ????????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Theory said:

How many “stop signs” do you see while driving everyday ? Stop signs give you right of way (it does not mean even a stop sign helps) which we don’t see any here.!!! only at the time of test for driver’s license. Sometime even a red light wont help. ????????

OP's 'intersection' is unsigned...

but in the meantime... 

if the Thai is approaching the 'intersection'

He does not Look

If he does not look, he does not see you

therefore, you are not there!

11 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Never rely on such things as right of way, especially here, defensive driving is the best 'right of way'

Right of way is given. Not taken. 

I believe there are generally too many cars on the road for rules to be followed to the T, even if drivers knew them. If one follows the rules as stated, noone would be able to get onto a busy street, for example. I would say ony 5% or lerss Thais know the rules for a roundabout here - leaving a roundabout one must go slowly as there is some Somchai shooting into the roundabout and not giving way.

If one wants to survive here - think and drive like a Thai..within reason of course:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

I've stopped at a stop sigh, just to have the car with right of way stop as well lol.

11 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

This.

Blatently obvious really.

The bigger you are, the more right of way you have.

I have no problems with driving standards and lack of rules and of law enforcement in this country.

Just ride/drive around it and go with the flow.

Chill.

Back in the UK for some reason, with supposedly saner and safer, more sensible traffic, i get my RR (road rage) levels raised way more than here.

I also love being able to drive my farm truck into town, on legal highways, with no tax and insurance, no handbrake, no working lights, no doors, no windows, no bonnet, 3' straight up exhaust, etc etc.

Wonderful country....

Good point.  The UK is effectively banning cars via over regulation. Especially in London. But after ten years driving in Saudi, far more dangerous than Thailand, i have given up driving. Always pay someone to drive for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

and just seem to try and bluff their way out. 

Thats pretty much it.. On all roads in Thailand drivers are 'bluffing' their way though, they don't really know the rules but copy from everyone else.

In areas of such high density traffic, it a driver doesn't 'bluff their way out' or drive with a degree of assertiveness and push out into traffic they wouldn't get anywhere.

Its the way it has to be because no one gives way - its quite normal and nothing to be concerned with. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats pretty much it.. On all roads in Thailand drivers are 'bluffing' their way though, they don't really know the rules but copy from everyone else.

In areas of such high density traffic, it a driver doesn't 'bluff their way out' or drive with a degree of assertiveness and push out into traffic they wouldn't get anywhere.

Its the way it has to be because no one gives way - its quite normal and nothing to be concerned with. 

Thats the way in all cities world wide.

In Ayutthaya there’s a roundabout with traffic lights ( actually a Chedi ) in the main drag downtown. 6 lanes reduce to 4 to go round , if you stop at the lights it gives you an opportunity to decide which lane you are gonna choose when the lights change.
It’s great fun squeezing people out and avoiding others who are trying to squeeze you out !!
Of course the confusion is mainly due to the guys who painted the white lines !!

An old guy in a tuk tuk the other day just drove in a straight line across all 4 lanes and out the other side without hitting anyone or any road rage etc.
I figured he must be well known for it !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Unfortunately, the Thai right of way is;-

1) My car is bigger than yours.

2) My car is more expensive than yours.

But mostly,

3) I got here before you!!????????????

You left one out!

4) I am Thai and you are not and if you stayed in your own country this would not have happened

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40+ years I was going south down the main road from Chiang Khan to Loei town.  The road to Tha Li just past Loei Rajabhat University was a T intersection, right by the police checkpoint.  Some numb-nuts kids on a Honda 50 blew across the road through the stop sign in the right lane, hidden behind a box truck waiting to turn south.  They were headed to the houses across the street.

I hit them dead square on the side between the driver's and passengers legs.  I did a nice flying superman impression as I went over the bars and partway down a ditch.  People suddenly appeared from nowhere, picked me up, straightened a couple bits on the bike and gave me a shove in the direction of town.  Next day I felt like I had sprained one each of every unique body part.  No road rash I can recall, maybe grass stains.

Right of way, 555.

The person entering from the side road, regardless of oncoming traffic, should slowly continue into the traffic lanes until some is forced to allow them in. Then, after accomplishing this, one needs to begin to proceed slowly while figuring out what to do next! 

It is also best to use at least 2 oncoming lanes to accomplish this task. 

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2019 at 8:20 AM, CharlieH said:

Where to start, no formal training, no highway code that's really followed and most of all no damn enforcement, and where there is there are no real consequences to an action. All that boils down to a general free for all.

Then they wonder why thousands die on the road ! 

I gave up trying to make sense of it or apply logic and law a long long time ago. If you drive and react like everyone is trying to kill you, you'll be just fine !

in a civilised country who drive on the left....then anyone coming from a side road SHOULD give way to a vehicle approaching from the RIGHT...but does it happen here NO NO NO...they just sneak in or barge in to the path of vehicle coming from the right...

clearly they are NOT taught anything here....

15 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Sorry wrong!  size doesn't give you the right away!

Let say as noted above by one poster vehicles on main road has the right away.  Truck comes out from side Soi doesn't bother to stop or even slow down because he is the truck thereafter as you noted has the right away run downs everyone and everything?  Now I know way trucks drive the why they drive here!????

Right away is basically a guideline how to handle a particular driving situation it isn't based on size!

Is this what you will say to Saint Peter - "I had the Right of Way'

25 minutes ago, essox essox said:

in a civilised country who drive on the left....then anyone coming from a side road SHOULD give way to a vehicle approaching from the RIGHT...but does it happen here NO NO NO...they just sneak in or barge in to the path of vehicle coming from the right...

clearly they are NOT taught anything here....

You do realise traffic coming from the left has right of way? And you realise in all western countries where they drive on the right traffic coming from the right has right of way? Therefor if driving on the left it makes sense that the left has right of way. So I guess that makes the UK uncivilised.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, stevenl said:

You do realise traffic coming from the left has right of way? And you realise in all western countries where they drive on the right traffic coming from the right has right of way? Therefor if driving on the left it makes sense that the left has right of way. So I guess that makes the UK uncivilised.

That's right. Give way to the left here. I think that causes the chaos at roundabouts here, as the rule is give way to traffic on the roundabout, which is essentially giving way to the right.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 8:03 AM, Kenny202 said:

Is there any law I don't know about where possibly the people coming out of the smaller Soi on to the main two way road have right of way? 

No! But they wouldn't let a minor issue like that get in the way of their freedom to uphold TiT's law.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

11 years here, one accident. I just keep going, I have right of way. Brakes are for losers, I'm a winner. Seems to work.

I drive an old hatchback in Bangkok, with Lamphun number plates. The combination puts the fear of Buddha into everyone's eyes.

• Like 1