Confused about Elite Visa.

My Thai Elite Visa will expire middle next year.  When I fly out and return to Thailand I will get another 1 year stamp.

However, the Thai Elite Visa people informed me that I will be overstayed if I stay in Thailand, even though the immigration officer stamps another fully 1 year stay permission.

Why would this be the case?  Anyone else had experience regarding this?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mas4568 said:

Did you know the 'Elite Visa' is nothing of the kind. Your Visa is simply a normal TOURIST Visa that allows a 90 day entry only, with the bonus of being able to send Elite staff to go and do your 90 day report. You can confirm this at the Elite office.

90 day reports have nothing to do with your permission to stay stamp. If you look at a 90 day report receipt, it clearly states 

THIS IS NOT AN EXTENSION OF STAY PLEASE NOTIFY YOUR ADDRESS AGAIN ON

If an IO has stamped you in for 12 months, you or someone does need to make 90 day reports, (or if you leave Thailand then it is not necessary,) but you do have a 12 month valid permit to stay.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, G950 said:

It is not uncommon to ask someone in power a question to be told totally the wrong answer. 

This is precisely the reason for much of the confusion and varying experiences debated amongst us foreigners here in Thailand....  More often than not those who should know, don't. Face prevents those in any positions of decision making power from asking and finding out resulting in the multitude of inconsistencies we are subject to. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.  Still unsure what to do. 

My membership card expires April next near, but I will get the 1 year stamp.  

So my membership will be expired, but the visa stamped for another year.  

Seems that people have used that extra year (and no longer being a member) and had no problems?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

well, since 90 day reporting is still required, it seems like a possible scenario is the man would be allowed in, but when he submits the 90 day report , the immigration people would then peruse his visa status and possibly or probably say he has to do a new visa of some type as his TE visa has expired.  So, while he may get stamped in and start that extra year, he may have trouble after in Thailand.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

well, since 90 day reporting is still required, it seems like a possible scenario is the man would be allowed in, but when he submits the 90 day report , the immigration people would then peruse his visa status and possibly or probably say he has to do a new visa of some type as his TE visa has expired.  So, while he may get stamped in and start that extra year, he may have trouble after in Thailand.

Doubtful. Never had a report like that and the Elite thingie has been around for a long time already. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Thanks for the replies.  Still unsure what to do. 

My membership card expires April next near, but I will get the 1 year stamp.  

So my membership will be expired, but the visa stamped for another year.  

Seems that people have used that extra year (and no longer being a member) and had no problems?  

I have not read any posts of anybody actually doing that "extra year".  Many posts on being able to do it, but I don't recall any posts where somebody actually did it

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I have not read any posts of anybody actually doing that "extra year".  Many posts on being able to do it, but I don't recall any posts where somebody actually did it

I have. Chill out. It works unless the authorities decide at a later date to make it not work. 

3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

...  I doubt you ever had the money to purchase that

To directly quote you -- Jesus you people make stupid assumptions. 

Again, there have indeed been reports here of people successfully getting an extra year stamp with the Elite. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I’m pretty sure I was the first to point out the possibility of getting 6 years out of the visa 5 years ago when the scheme was launched. But I also advised at the time that I also spoke with TE who made it clear it wasn’t their policy.

As the first 5 years is now up it will be interesting to see what they do — if anything — to stop ex-members. I think it will depend entirely on how many members don’t renew and keep using the visa, or renew after six years instead of five.

There are plenty of PE visa holders that have been given permits to stay beyond the expiry of the visa, but TE will presumably be expecting those members to renew membership at the end of the 5 years.

At the end of the day the visa is meant for TE members. Your money buys membership and the visa is a benefit of that membership, like the golf, limos etc are. You wouldn’t be allowed to ride in a limo after the membership expires, so logically neither should you be able to use the visa.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 10:48 AM, Mas4568 said:

So effectively once you leave Thailand and your Elite card has almost expired, you would only be able to get at least one more 90 day entry, not 1 year. I know this because I asked at the head office.

Maybe you have one of the real old versions which only allowed 90 day entries, you get a 1 year stamp with the newer versions, see my post above.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

so logically neither should you be able to use the visa.

But you aren't using the Visa, just the ensuing permit to stay. 

If the policy is to give one-year Permits for every entry, I do not see how this can be restricted. Everything you say could be applied to an O-A, and O-X.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Respectfully - I think the comment was... Have YOU done that with a Thai Elite Visa JT?

Do you hold a Thai Elite Visa JT?... it does seem that you are attempting to dodge that very specific question after you claimed 'I have' [done it] i.e. Stayed for a 6th year on a Thai Elite Visa.

There is the very real possibility that after being stamped in for a year, someone does their 90 day report and finds themselves in a tricky situation - The question was asked of 'First Hand' experience which I think is a reasonable question considering the amount of spurious claims often made on this forum. 

Stop lying. I never said I had an Elite Visa. What inspired you to tell such a blatant lie? Don't bother answering. Not interested in engaging with members that play games like that. GOODBYE. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But you aren't using the Visa, just the ensuing permit to stay. 

If the policy is to give one-year Permits for every entry, I do not see how this can be restricted. Everything you say could be applied to an O-A, and O-X.

Yes it's exactly the same "loophole" that people have been regularly using with O-A visas for dog years. Never one report that hasn't worked either!

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

You have now.

You are hardly the first.

There have been a number of such reports.

What we have never seen here is a report of it not working. 

I do recall though one report of a land border officer not knowing how to stamp an Elite entry but that wasn't on a sixth year entry.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1