The "leavers" that can't leave.

swissie

1 hour ago, justin case said:

An illegal in EU ...

Compare that to thailand:  you have to prove you have money and nothing is giving, quite the opposite... more bullcrap every day/week/month...

You don't have to prove you have money to be an illegal in Thailand.

So then problem solved. Everyone who's stuck in Thailand for financial reasons should just become an illegal in the EU

Edited by Suradit69
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2019 at 7:31 AM, RichardColeman said:

If the Uk would relax financial laws on visas for my wife and child today, I'd be on the 0.01 am flight out tomorrow. And it really annoys me to think that as a UK Brit of 55 years that worked all their life, an unemployed EU citizen can bring their unemployed wife within hours !

Yep, what you put in, you never get back as we all find out later, we are all numbers, fortunately for me I learned early on and do everything way ahead of time and never depend on authority where I can stand on my own, i.e. wife has citizenship, as do the kids, and I have the finances, suffice to say if I ever needed to exit tomorrow, I could.

I will add to your comment about the unemployed being able to bring their wife within hours, as my mum is aging back in Oz in a nursing home, I am currently thinking of upping everyone here and going back for the remainder of her years to perhaps look after her better than the nursing home would, whether I can do a better job or not will depend on a lot of things, suffice to say that I was blown away to see that the government would hand me 630,000 baht per annum just for having kids, now that is just wrong !

Edited by 4MyEgo

On 8/30/2019 at 2:51 AM, aqua4 said:

You:

1. They are poor; OR

2. They like the nightlife;

Maybe:

1. The cost of relocating is a pain; (sell house/condo into a soft market)

2. Too old to move and start again;

3. Procrastination and gotten used to the uncertainty;

4. Hoping it changes; (which I doubt)

5. What to do with Thai wife and/or kids; (they are now a liability)

6. Just to lazy to do anything other than moan;

7. Hoping it does not affect them later as they can still wiggle for now.

You should add too old or ugly to find a decent looking girl in thier own country

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/30/2019 at 2:35 AM, swissie said:

Most of the "long-term" Farangs, unhappy with their situation in Thailand are still here.
Probably after they have read all the "fine-print", when it comes to Relocate/Citizenship in an other country. (Outside of their home-country).
After having looked at all the "fine-print", most Farang-Residents in Thailand could not qualify for a permanent residence outside of some impoverished S/E Asian countries. Them tightening "Visa-Rules" in accordance with "Thai-Immigration-Rulings".
In spite of all the increased "visa-pressure", most LT-Farangs are still here, not having re-located to Ecuador. They know why they are still here and not in Ecuador.
Cheers.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:51 AM, aqua4 said:

You:

1. They are poor; OR

2. They like the nightlife;

Maybe:

1. The cost of relocating is a pain; (sell house/condo into a soft market)

2. Too old to move and start again;

3. Procrastination and gotten used to the uncertainty;

4. Hoping it changes; (which I doubt)

5. What to do with Thai wife and/or kids; (they are now a liability)

6. Just to lazy to do anything other than moan;

7. Hoping it does not affect them later as they can still wiggle for now.

Gee, you two must have had great conversations at the pub last night. Alcohol has damaged a few of your brain cells, has it? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thingamabob said:

Utterly ridiculous and pointless topic. I for one am still happy here after 30 years plus, and have no intention to move. Who dreams up these puerile questions ?

Friday night pub quiz?

I am strongly thinking about a move to Panama next year.  I kept rationalizing that Thailand would eventually come to their senses and roll back some of the overbearing regulations.  Barring that I thought that the USA Embassy would start verifying income which would be easy for those who are living on Social Security.  However the Trump administration is too busy destroying the US government to think about providing assistance to their expatriates. 

I like Thailand but the continual introduction of new regulations and rules make it impractical to live here much longer.  I assume that is their goal.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

my body is broken, im not fit to relocate,

funny the one reason i want to relocate

is i dont want to get caught having to relocate.

if my body was working properly,

i would have no issues with either,

but alas

Edited by brokenbone

Leaving is not really an option fo me. I have a good wife of over 10 years, an adopted son who is closer to me than most biological sons, and a niece who is more like a daughter, who tells everyone I’m her dad.

I have no family or friends left back in the States, so there is nothing back there for me. Leaving Thailand, even for Vietnam, is not really an option for me. I’m over 70, and have had a minor stroke, which makes getting around difficult at best most of the time. You could say I’m “stuck” here, and in some ways you would be correct. But with an income more than double needed for retirement here, it is a comfortable “stuck”.

If they up the anti again, I’ll just switch from Retirement extension to Marriage, A bit more of a hassle, but not unbearable,

• Like 2

This  seems to be a endless conversation about wanting to be here or not

we all have our reasons 

bottom line if you can afford to go else where and are not happy with the situation here just do it

Others like myself cannot  do this as most of what I have is here in Thailand Family  ect

I try to remain positive I have made my life here and intend to enjoy it

No matter what 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 4:53 AM, seasia said:

"After having looked at all the "fine-print", most Farang-Residents in Thailand could not qualify for a permanent residence outside of some impoverished S/E Asian countries. Them tightening "Visa-Rules" in accordance with "Thai-Immigration-Rulings".

I can, plenty of countries to choose from. In one now.

If you're alone and doesn't have to sell your condo for peanuts, then you're right. Many are stuck here because of family and a condo, they will get maybe 50% of the purchase price. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Leaving is not really an option fo me. I have a good wife of over 10 years, an adopted son who is closer to me than most biological sons, and a niece who is more like a daughter, who tells everyone I’m her dad.

I have no family or friends left back in the States, so there is nothing back there for me. Leaving Thailand, even for Vietnam, is not really an option for me. I’m over 70, and have had a minor stroke, which makes getting around difficult at best most of the time. You could say I’m “stuck” here, and in some ways you would be correct. But with an income more than double needed for retirement here, it is a comfortable “stuck”.

If they up the anti again, I’ll just switch from Retirement extension to Marriage, A bit more of a hassle, but not unbearable,

If you go marriage visa the problem will be if your wife snuffs it. What visa would you have to apply for?

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 11:31 PM, RichardColeman said:

If the Uk would relax financial laws on visas for my wife and child today, I'd be on the 0.01 am flight out tomorrow. And it really annoys me to think that as a UK Brit of 55 years that worked all their life, an unemployed EU citizen can bring their unemployed wife within hours !

Take her to an EU country (where they have to let her come in as an EU accompanied wife) get the settled status, and drive back into uk. 

2 hours ago, highonthai said:

Anyone that just picks up and moves to another country with out spending anytime there first, is just a nutter.

Most likely the same people that sold everything and moved to Thailand because they had the vacation of a lifetime. And then realized everyday is not a holiday here.

Living in Thailand is what you make it. You have to find your place here. Just like you would have to any country.

Thailand would be a great country if the government was prepared to govern, and not spend most of their time bullying retirees and tourists.

Putting it simply, do something about the dreadful road behavior, and stop all the stupid and unnecessary reporting nonsense.

I know, I know, it is never going to happen.????

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 5:59 AM, dimitriv said:

This is not completely the truth. And what others can you can do yourself too.

If I want to marry and live together with a wife from a country not in the EU I have to comply to very strict rules because I live in NL. I need to have enough income, if I am self employed I need to show that I made enough money in the past 3 years. Before my wife would get a visum she needs to follow lessons to learn to speak Dutch, and make a test in the Dutch consulate in her home country.Only after this she will get a visum to travel to me with the goal to live together. 

Other countries have rules with are less strict. Belgium and Spain are examples. But as an EU citizen I can use these countries too. I can for example move to Belgium or Spain. Rent a house. Register myself. As a EU citizen I have the right to do this.  My wife can come on a tourist visum. In Spain it's no problem to overstay that visum. If I register her on my address, marry and live together for a year we can both move to NL without problems. Upon arriving in NL I will have to prove that we lived together for a year in an EU country. And she will get her visum to live together.

I don't know how this will be for UK residents after Brexit. Probably the right to travel and live/move permanently in EU countries will be restricted. The law that after living together for a year in the EU your wife will get a visum is also an EU law. But at least till now it is something you could use too.

The idea that you can do this while being unemployed is of course not so. Although (as far as I know) you do not have to prove that you earn enough money you do need money to pay the rent and other things.  So you need a job, or enough money in the bank.

There's no requirement for an invited Thai to the NL on a tourist visa to learn to speak Dutch. That's BS. Maybe if she applies for a permanent residency or want to become a naturalized NL citizen. Otherwise,no! And with a Schengen visa she can visit other countries. I said visit.

On 8/30/2019 at 8:54 AM, Puchaiyank said:

The poster makes wild generalizations of which he has zero knowledge...just a feeble attempt to provoke emotional responses...this thread should be closed...IMHO   ????

He's not completely wrong. I know several expats from the UK who are in deep trouble because of the weak £ in combination with the loss of income letter from the UK embassy. A few others managed to go back home,some are thinking about it. 

On 8/30/2019 at 4:26 AM, Kenny202 said:

What a nasty lot of people on here. Why would you talk so badly about people you dont even know or that you perceive to have less than you? Who is they and who said "they" havent left for anywhere else? Do you have any numbers or stats to back up this nothing post?

I wrote this terrible diatribe 2 days ago and then came back and just deleted it. It was the same as you have noted and showed how terrible some people are. Someone asked about the TM30 and why falang cant muster a united front like Asians in other countries. I wrote simply because look at TVF and see how many penis competitions we have each week about who has money and who is a loser. I note too that Chinese abroad can lobby because they dont do this to each other. Another thing ... people who have real money not Baht money dont talk about money. I am yet to talk to a multi USD millionaire and have him talk about how well off he is.