Assets for retirement visa

It has always puzzled me that the immigration authorities completely ignore any other assets when considering a visa applicants financial standing. I'm sure there are lots of expats who, for example, own a condo worth far more than 400,000 THB. Incidentally, owning a condo reduces an expats monthly outgoings substantially.

Is there anyway to get immigration to include this in their calculations which would solve the money in the bank problem for many expats including me.

• Haha 1

No, not if you do not go the investment path from start when buying, and get a visa based on investment instead of marriage/retirement. However, then you must reach up to a much higher amount.

Otherwise it can not be included, and Immigration will not accept anything else than real cash in the bank.

There are two argumentations against it:

- The 400k/800k are supposed to be for your living expenses over the year. Will you sell a bit of your condo every month?

- The 400k/800k are for an emergency. If you should end up in hospital and have to pay a few hundred thousand for a surgery by tomorrow, how do you sell your condo until tomorrow?

• Thanks 1

In the current climate of hostility towards expats I think it very unlikely but if they did they would probably require so much bumff proving value and ownership on an annual basis, that you would wish that they had not! 

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

- The 400k/800k are supposed to be for your living expenses over the year.

Meh.

400,000 of the 800,000 is available for living expenses during months three through nine.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

- The 400k/800k are for an emergency. If you should end up in hospital and have to pay a few hundred thousand for a surgery by tomorrow,

Meh.

400,000 of the 800,000 is available for surgery during months 3 - 9, hope it's elective and not an emergency.

It isn't about showing you have assets, like a gold chain, a vehicle and a nice telly. It is about having money to live on during the year of the extension. You could always get a mortgage or loan on the condo and show the cash from in on deposit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

No,

in fact they are probably laughing and think you are poorly managing your money as owning a condo here is a dead money bad investment.

Sort of like having 800,000 baht in the bank, but never mind, needs must. 

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

No,

in fact they are probably laughing and think you are poorly managing your money as owning a condo here is a dead money bad investment.

Actually, I think buying a condo was a good investment when I consider the rent I've saved and the appreciation in its value in Sterling. I accept it's not very liquid with the over supply in the market, but if I wrote it off tomorrow I'd still have done okay with it.

Also, I don't live in Thailand for the whole year so it's nice to come here and have my own place to stay, that's worth a lot.

5 minutes ago, jiffers said:

Actually, I think buying a condo was a good investment when I consider the rent I've saved and the appreciation in its value in Sterling. I accept it's not very liquid with the over supply in the market, but if I wrote it off tomorrow I'd still have done okay with it.

Also, I don't live in Thailand for the whole year so it's nice to come here and have my own place to stay, that's worth a lot.

Exactly.

No one can raise your rent, refuse to fix things, rip you off for power bills etc.