What are expats really saying when they say they don't feel welcome anymore in the LOS

4MyEgo

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I don't think that the IO at Khampaeng Phet was too worried over much about the funds coming from TW as long as there was enough coming in per month.

Great for you, but the problem is, it isn't everywhere like that. 

In fact nothing is for sure nowhere, except at the very moment one is confronted with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, luckyluke said:

Great for you, but the problem is, it isn't everywhere like that. 

In fact nothing is for sure nowhere, except at the very moment one is confronted with it. 

Sometimes it differs between regions, provinces and even between IO officers at the same office.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

IMO what's really being said is " I can't afford to live here anymore" end of story..

Might come to be as one reason to seek a lower cost country was to be able to have a comfortable (no Mercedes nor swimming pool) working middle class retirement. If I understand from my exposure to many coming to retire in C. Mai, a great number of the some projected 40 K living here were simularly motivated.

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

he is being considerate by not making you and him lose and face and taking the path of least resistance.

i don't expect anything, but many times the red carpet has been rolled out just because I'm a  white farang. Getting my drivers license is one example.

the last thing I will every be is home sick, and I have a lot of money and can go back to the USA any time I want. I could live in a ski resort or beach town or own my own farm or small ranch. no thanks.

op you did not say how old you are.

F*****g lift lines at Mammoth

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:
17 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I've only highlighted something, changed nothing.

Relax....

Again, you never have my permission to change the emphasis on my posts. 

It would be nice if TVF provided a means of "identifying" a portion of a post that a reply is addressing specifically, without potentially changing the context or meaning of the original post. Many of us have used underlining or bolding or italics to accomplish this, but clearly the OP can argue that this has the potential to change the meaning of their post (and that is a perfectly valid argument).

Just now, malibukid said:

F*****g lift lines at Mammoth

yes horrible but i can remember when a lift ticket was $12. i would head out from LA in my Jeep in a middle of a storm. Great fun.

later in life i was lucky i skied at Sun Valley and Aspen.  

i would park at county line beach on PCH for free. now it is $8 to park off the highway. not that it really matters.

laguna beach, they "tore" my beach down and put up a hotel. i can only stand there now and watch the tourist who have not a clue how great this was before.   

i rented an apartment in Laguna when I was 20. that is how cheap it was.

but big party in Thailand now. Just as soon as I finish working on my taxes.

22 hours ago, JaiLai said:

If you can afford to live here then you can pay people to take away the hassles of visa system, end of.

If you are not married to a Thai or too young for retirement visa, tell me how to pay people to make visa hassles go away (not talking about Elite Visa). I am not affected by any of the visa issues but I think a lot of people not affected making it sound so simple. 

Edited by Dnyy

I do notice a big change towards foreigners personally, but not in Chiang Mai (where I also live). 
Other than that, I left for a year in between of all the years here, nobody cared or even noticed that I have been gone that time, just a few said; o didn't see you a while. Since I figured that out, I also care much less about many people that I thought to care about (and they about me).

So yeah, I guess they would not care much if one leaves, they will just temporary feel some pain of missed turn-over perhaps, which they will also forget soon enough.

Edited by tabarin
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

There are just simply less good reasons to stay here period - certainly in Bangkok.  Its now overpriced, horrendously polluted.  Traffic is insane.  Immigration continues to make it more difficult for foreigners.  Roads are the most dangerous in the world.  Private schools are outrageously priced.  Smiles are few and far between whether your Thai or not, most people are overworked and seem miserable and are not in control of their destiny or their country. 

However the weather remains good and if you have cash you can live in a happy bubble :).

but they do have Ben and Jerry's at Siam Paragon

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dnyy said:

YES! Always seeing foreigners doing the wai but in most cases not receiving it back

Seeing it happen, not to receive back, more than before for sure too. Not talking about the misplaced wais, but legit ones as well.
I stopped to wai most times because of that.

Edited by tabarin

Just now, Dnyy said:

YES! Always seeing foreigners doing the wai but in most cases not receiving it back

Yes, similar at my office after a 100% purge during the Big Joke era.

Dare I say our visits to Immigration used to be enjoyable.   No more.  I dread it now.  Our wai was sniffed at and dismissed by the stone faced drone we pulled for my last annual extension.  A real piece of work that one. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sometimes, but not always. Also dealing with the recent onerous visa rule changes is totally separate from affording to live here. You need to be able to navigate that visa system AND afford to live here. I detest efforts to over simplify these issues. 

I detest those that detest, which in itself make no difference, as much as I may detest that fact.

2 hours ago, Nip said:

I'm in total agreement. I abandoned Thailand two years ago after living there for 17 years. I never felt entirely welcome for those 17 years but by 2017 I felt decidedly unwelcome. I was a model immigrant in that I gave all and received nothing in return and all the annoying  traits I grew to dislike about Thai people were beginning to manifest in my own kids. I can't say any one thing caused me to leave but one that irked me was Thai prostitutes within 3 years of landing on our shores were clutching passports and after 17 years in Thailand every time I went to renew my annual visa I felt like a criminal. I had become the irritated and angry old man I swore I would never become.

Last year in 2018 I returned to Thailand for two months and embraced the good but was assailed by everything that is bad. That said i had to return this year in July and have just left and shall not return any time soon. 

Why? Because from my arrival in Swampy the dislike for the White Man was now in my face. I speak Thai fluently and am a genial good natured individual and accept there are millions of similar Thais but the welcoming I once received is long gone. Anybody notice that the once common Thai wai is now a rarity?  And for me that sums it up. 

When I approached the Emirates ground staff member in arrivals to report that my suitcase had been badly damaged and wished to report it she turned and walked away saying complain online. I exit arrivals and when I asked a young woman playing on her phone at the first car rental desk was there a problem with the airport Wi-Fi she dismissed me mumbling it was not her job foreigner. Not a great start and sadly this attitude continued throughout my stay.

The TM30? I discovered after 30 days that the woman or company where I was staying despite taking a copy of my passport did not register me and flatly refused to do so. So immigration simmarily refused to stamp the 30 day extension. It took 5 hours to sort it out. The entire operation took me 7 hours.

I moved to Pattaya for a few days to visit friends all of whome are making plans to move elsewhere and despite the city being overrun by the people once abhorred by Thais for being smelly it was deserted and they were being embraced to the extent one bar was showing Bollywood movies. But that did not stop the receptionist at a hotel I previously visited at least twice a year for the last 7 years screaming angrily at me as I approached reception; " Foreigner you not pay your bill!" As she lay across her Thai boyfriend on the sofa in reception. She was referring to the advance payment for the following day. Later that night in 7/11 when I innocently queried of the ladybug serving me was the microwaved food in the bag that he had just handed me he screamed 'yes you annoying foreigner' The American guy standing next to me said is that the Thai welcome I've read so much about? Just about summed it all up.

While before Thais 

tolerated us now they don't because they have other fish to fry but their overfishing is coming back to boot them in the ass. Im of course not talking about all Thais because while I met hundreds who were pleasant and accommodating the 5 or 6 who needlessly abused me tipped the scales massively. In future I will go where I'm appreciated and welcomed.

Blimey Nip, what a depressing post. But I don't doubt a single word of it especially the bit about Pattaya. Probably because it's the haunt of sex tourists.

I find that unless the Thais are in a situation in which it's expected that you tip them they are inclined to be sullen, abrupt and even downright rude. 

You notice it in the shops and supermarkets more than anywhere else. I sometimes need to buy things from upstairs in the Friendship Supermarket in Pattaya and never look forward to it. You never get a 'thank you' nor a smile just a scowl and silence. I now make a point of not thanking them for their 'service' either. Those downstairs are a bit more helpful and pleasant though.

I first visited Pattaya 35 years ago but today you'd think you were in a different country as far as the general attitude of the people are concerned. I honestly sometimes find the attitude of some Thai people to be a bit of a shock and they make no attempt to conceal their contempt and sometimes even hatred for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Sounds like the same I/O I got at Swampy 2 weeks ago, nearing midnight.  Younger than usual, cute as a button in her too-tight uniform, colorful campaign ribbons and spit-shined bunny rabbit house slippers.   

Dude there's a bunch of those out of Chang Wattana..... that makes me absolutely nuts

Don't forget the perfectly coiifed hair in the ribbon snood.

I look for uniforms on tinder

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

did you join this thread simply to make everyone aware of this?

typical yank 

I have a lot of money too mate, are you jealous of us Yanks then? No giro day for us....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

yes horrible but i can remember when a lift ticket was $12. i would head out from LA in my Jeep in a middle of a storm. Great fun.

later in life i was lucky i skied at Sun Valley and Aspen.  

i would park at county line beach on PCH for free. now it is $8 to park off the highway. not that it really matters.

laguna beach, they "tore" my beach down and put up a hotel. i can only stand there now and watch the tourist who have not a clue how great this was before.   

i rented an apartment in Laguna when I was 20. that is how cheap it was.

but big party in Thailand now. Just as soon as I finish working on my taxes.

Neptunes Net at county line. 

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Whenever I go into Big C.

No problem getting smiles from Thai.

It is the sour faced farang that I see.

I have to admit that in the small Issan town where I temporarily stayed for a few months, I have never seen so many miserable-looking western guys, all wearing ill-fitting shorts - showing off knobbly knees ????and sandals.  I never figured out why they didn't smile.

A very strange-looking bunch...

• Haha 1