Five killed, including shooter, around 21 injured in Texas shooting: police, media

rooster59

58 minutes ago, chokrai said:

Whenever I read the comments on here from the Liberal Left I thank God for the First and Second Amendment. 

Im not liberal Im not left. But I understand the 2nd Amendment is bullsh!t and has been abused and there is no need for it. I suspect the majority of Americans know it too but are betrayed by corrupt and weak politicians. Its incredible the USA has the highest rate of incarceration in the western world. It persecutes more of its own citizens than virtually any country in the world yet does not imprison people for having a gun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vinniekintana said:

Liberals belly-ache about a few hundred dying every year in mass shootings and yet fully endorse the killing of hundreds of thousands of unborn children during the same year.

Liberal 'logic'.

A spurious correlations and false logic. You just call anyone a liberal who opposes your point of view and then link  false narrative to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Im not liberal Im not left. But I understand the 2nd Amendment is bullsh!t and has been abused and there is no need for it. I suspect the majority of Americans know it too but are betrayed by corrupt and weak politicians. Its incredible the USA has the highest rate of incarceration in the western world. It persecutes more of its own citizens than virtually any country in the world yet does not imprison people for having a gun.

The 2nd Amendment is there because people like you think the govt should have the power to imprison people for having a gun. That is the whole point of the 2nd Amendment. You think it is better in the EU where they come after you for something you post on the internet? I find that much more scary then any nutcase with a gun.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chokrai said:

The 2nd Amendment is there because people like you think the govt should have the power to imprison people for having a gun. That is the whole point of the 2nd Amendment. You think it is better in the EU where they come after you for something you post on the internet? I find that much more scary then any nutcase with a gun.

Is the purpose of the internet to kill people?

you do realise the 2nd amendment is an amendment to the constitution. Im sure you are against that amendment as it isnt the original all holy constitution.

2 hours ago, daoyai said:

the media love to focus on the U.S. but my gawd are you really unaware of the situation in Myanmar, Bangladesh, Mexico, Brazil, ...

So you're equating US society with these countries?  And here I thought we were better than that.  So parents can tell their kids..."I remember when the USA was the leader of the free world, the shining beacon of prosperity, justice, equality, law and order....blah, blah, blah.  Too bad we squandered it all." 

10 hours ago, Tug said:

Sir you are wrong there is fury here people are spitting mad at congress inability to address this issue

I think you mean MoscowMitch, Senate Majority Leader who  is refusing to allow votes on many issues, including gun laws. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

12 hours ago, robblok said:

Then they call Thai people dangerous. Such a great idea letting everyone have guns. 

Check the crime  stat  figures  for death by gun Thailand v America before  condemning the gun laws in America, more chance  of  being shot in Thailand.

In 2016 Thailand's rate of violent gun-related deaths stood at 4.45 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. In comparison, that of the Philippines was 7.42; the US, 3.85; Cambodia, 0.96; Myanmar, 0.56; Malaysia, 0.46; Indonesia, 0.10; and Singapore, 0.03.[52]

Edited by gunderhill

7 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

Check the crime  stat  figures  for death by gun Thailand v America before  condemning the gun laws in America, more chance  of  being shot in Thailand.

In 2016 Thailand's rate of violent gun-related deaths stood at 4.45 deaths per 100,000 inhabitants. In comparison, that of the Philippines was 7.42; the US, 3.85; Cambodia, 0.96; Myanmar, 0.56; Malaysia, 0.46; Indonesia, 0.10; and Singapore, 0.03.[52]

It seems to me a lot of the US mass shootings involve people unknown to the gunman but that's rare in Thailand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Redline said:

More must die to see a change.  And it has to happen in close succession and large numbers-unfortunate as that may be.  Get big money out of politics 

Depends on who.  If it's not someone of influence, or a relative of such, it's the usual thoughts & prayers bs, regardless of the body count, even if it's senators and representatives.  If it is one of DT's kids it's a national tragedy.

• Like 2

Another day.

Another mass shooting.

Democrats press Trump, GOP to tighten gun controls after Odessa mass shooting

in West Texas that brought to more than 50 the number of people killed in such incidents in August alone.

Trump dismissed tougher background checks — “they would not have stopped any of it” — and suggested that Saturday’s shooting, which left seven dead and 19 wounded, had done little to change his calculus on gun control.

“We’re looking at the same things. . . . It really hasn’t changed anything,” Trump told reporters as he returned from Camp David.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/democrats-press-trump-gop-to-tighten-gun-controls-after-odessa-mass-shooting/2019/09/01/9913fd48-ccb9-11e9-8c1c-7c8ee785b855_story.html

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

Depends on who.  If it's not someone of influence, or a relative of such, it's the usual thoughts & prayers bs, regardless of the body count, even if it's senators and representatives.  If it is one of DT's kids it's a national tragedy.

Unless it's the overweight one.

On 9/1/2019 at 8:08 AM, robblok said:

Then they call Thai people dangerous. Such a great idea letting everyone have guns. 

many thais have guns in their car

illegal off course

what is worse... daily shooting in USA or 50 people dead on thai roads...

the reporting makes people scared = good for politics and giving up rights

you see how good TM30 and other bullcrap keep US criminals in control, rights

rulez are for foolz

18 hours ago, Sujo said:

Get rid of the machine gun type guns. There is no need for them.

Do intensive background checks and longer cooling off period, mandatory training.

Would you think the same if a dozen muslims walked down the street with uzies?

Citizens right to live outweighs nutters rights to have access to killing machines.

Japan seems to have it just right.

A voice of reason in the wilderness of American nonsense and ridiculousness, about the 2nd amendment. It worked when we needed militias. Does it work now? Apparently not. 

A country out of control, and declining by the day. A country with such weak gun laws, that a maniac has no problems getting his hands on guns, and when he is having a bad day, watch out America.

How many mass shootings in Japan between January 2018, and yesterday? Two total. 38 people killed, with 35 killed by one maniac. How about in the US? 620. 297 already this year. Way to go America.

Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit research group that tracks shootings and their characteristics in the United States, defines a mass shooting as an incident in which four or more people, excluding the perpetrators, are shot in one location at roughly the same time. This may include the gunman himself, or police shootings of civilians around the gunman." As of August 31, 2019, 297 mass shootings have occurred in 2019 that fit the inclusion criteria of this article. This averages out to 1.2 shootings per day. In these shootings, 1,219 people were injured and 335 died (for a total of 1,554 victims).

and in 2018:

The Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit research group that tracks shootings and their characteristics in the United States, defines a mass shooting as an incident in which four or more people, excluding the perpetrator(s), are shot in one location at roughly the same time. 323 mass shootings occurred in 2018 that fit the inclusion criteria of this article, resulting in 1,661 people being shot. Of those people, 387 people have died.

Truck driver loses his job and goes ballistic. 3.9 million truck driving jobs in America. 3 million of those will be automated away in the next 10 years or so. Anyone want to guess at the statistical overlap between truck drivers and gun owners? People falling down everywhere. It's only going to accelerate.

Edited by lannarebirth

On 8/31/2019 at 10:53 PM, toenail said:

The majority of Americans ( except the ones living in Thailand) want stricter gun control such as simple requirements: background checks before purchasing a weapon: people with mental health issues not being allowed to purchase a gun; no automatic “rifes” being sold that are really machine guns- not hunting rifles. But USA politicians, especially the Republicans,are  bribed ( they call it campaign donations) from the NRA and gun manufacturers. Yes, the USA also has a corrupt system.

- AFIK, background checks are mandatory, at least criminal checks.  Not psychological or medical record screening.  If the latter becomes required, it should also be applied to driver's licenses and some professions. 

- Fully automatic firearms (as opposed to semi-automatic) are not generally available (except to law enforcement) and those that are date back to pre-1968 (I think).  They are very, very expensive due to the limited supply and require a lot of federal paperwork.  That started back in the 1920's. A full automatic M-16 that is transferable may sell for $15,000 to $30,000 USD. Better to buy one cheap from federal undercover agents with an agenda and then just disappear.

That said, we responsible firearm owners are not happy about these nut cases.  New laws are made by politicians who generally know little about firearms and are more concerned with pushing the emotional buttons of voters than fixing the actual problems. 

I have about 25 firearms, perhaps half of which are semi-automatic.  My son and my older brother probably have equal numbers.  We were raised in an era when they were common and regarded as tools.  I had my first .22 rifle when I was a wee teen, even took it on an airplane as an unaccompanied minor as carry-on baggage.  And there was ammo in the side pocket of the gun case. No biggie.