Police Crackdown on Licenses

MysteryX

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why can't tourists get an International Driving License?

If I did it would have already expired.

2 minutes ago, moe666 said:

If you do not have a bike licenses from your own country more than likely do not ride a bike.

I don't know about the country you're from, but in Canada, 95% of people never drive motorbike because it can only be used 3 months per year. It's considered a luxury. And in practice, renting a scooter (or buying a motorbike) is really the only way to get around Thailand (or most Asian countries) if staying more than a few days.

I agree I wouldn't drive motorbike in Bangkok, but smaller cities are fine.

A bigger issue is 20% of people driving without helmets -- which the police apparently doesn't care about anymore (but that's what they used to check for back in 2008)

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just heard another hardship of Thai system, but for locals: if they want to travel abroad, they need 3 months of planning and preparation and tons of paperwork, and can't confirm whether they'll actually be traveling until 1 month before departure.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

In my case I'll message the Mexico embassy in Bangkok see if I can get my license translated via mail.

For others, I think the best advice for short stay is to rent car instead (then no need to worry about international driving license), and for long-term, pay $500 to get a 5-year Visa in Cambodia instead.

On a side note, I went on a 12-day roadtrip across Lampang, Phrae, Uttaradit, Sukothai and Lampang provinces and had no issue. Crossed some roadblocks in Lampang main highway but they were not into collecting tax from foreigners and he let me go. It's only touristy areas that are an issue.

I guess this is not worse than China who started enforcing "arbitrary laws" and even issuing exit bans. I was practicing Tai Chi in the mountains but knew it was time to get out.

Edited by MysteryX

8 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Why do you think there's no requirement for an International Driving Permit for tourists who drive rental cars?

Ask them.

Fact is, my friend is driving her car instead of motorbike (with valid license) for the simple reason that she'd get stopped every week while driving motorbike. Not a single time by car.

• Like 1

My friend got the whole process done within 2 weeks. My guess is the delays are much longer now because of crackdowns.

She gave me some numbers of people who "might" be able to accelerate the process. Thankfully I have useful friends. Whether they can help, at least they're trying.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

As a canadian, I would say pay the tax if it's less expensive than getting the license. In Thailand do like the thai. 

So far best option seems to be translating the Mexican license, but I'll have more details tomorrow.

1 hour ago, MysteryX said:

For others, I think the best advice for short stay is to rent car instead (then no need to worry about international driving license)

What strange advice! A valid license is required to rent the vehicle in the first place, or should be!

To drive a car or ride a motorbike without a valid license is pure madness, I know the locals do so, but any foreigner who thinks that it is some sort of right to do this in a foreign country, must have a screw loose IMHO, I certainly hope you do not have an accident and hurt, or worse still kill someone whilst driving unlicensed.

The police tax is a fine BTW, for not being legal.

I am assuming from your comments that CM DLT will not issue a Thai DL to a foreigner who has a tourist visa, a lot of other areas will issue the 2 year license, even to those on a visa exempt entry, you should look at doing this elsewhere.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

As a canadian, I would say pay the tax if it's less expensive than getting the license. In Thailand do like the thai. 

Depends. If you do not have a Thai license 3 months after driving on a IDP your insurance is negated. You have an accident without that insurance you'll be requesting a 'GoFundMe'. Make yer mind up. One Two Three...………..

• Like 2