Police Crackdown on Licenses

MysteryX

27 minutes ago, MysteryX said:

For others looking into this. Just learned from a local that you can book online for "DLT Smart Queue" which is what the agent said had a 1 month waiting time in Chiang Mai.

Edit: dang that's only for locals, need local ID card to use. Back to square 1 (at least have papers)

So you'll get a your papers in order the deliberately drive to road blocks to challenge the police??? 

You are like one of those youtube wise-<deleted>-activists who antagonise the police by filming them at their station etc then when challenged start spouting off about your rights! 

Just get on with life man, it's easier than trying to win petty battles. 

Getting tired of all the BS. Still need to get it done and can do without the noise. If you got nothing to contribute please refrain from posting. Thanks.

Next step: try calling Lamphun DLT office before driving there for more info.

Edited by MysteryX

On 9/2/2019 at 12:58 PM, MysteryX said:

And in practice, renting a scooter (or buying a motorbike) is really the only way to get around Thailand

is it?

train, bus, boat, airplane, taxi, samlor, baht bus, tuktuk, bicycle, walk ... and friends with vehicle plus valid DL

Lampang office is only 30 minutes from my home! Very reasonable. I'll get my friend to call both offices tomorrow. If Chiang Mai won't do it, Lampang will.

6 hours ago, MartiniMan said:

In short bully them as much you can and make them look like really great guys that you adore to pay

Another friend had a very good idea. Greet them, shake hands and be very friendly. Nobody does that. Before getting her local license, she has never been fined even carrying a mere photocopy of Indonesia license.

Hi 

I rent from Hertz/Budget for 3months at a time using my UK licence.

I get checked at road blocks occasionally, but I have never had a problem or fine. I think the policemen can't read English so just give up an wave me on.

Once driving a car, I was asked if it was a motorbike licence. I answered that it was a special multi licence allowing me to drive any motor vehicle, train, plane etc. He was baffled and waved me on.

Let's face it its luck of the draw with anything in Thailand

Sinead

A lot of talk about IDP's here. Some mention they are valid for 12 months, that's correct, but you can only legally use it with your home licence for 60 or 90 days from entry depending on visa type.

Having said that, an IDP is NOT a legal requirement in Thailand if your home licence is already in English and has a photo. It's just a recent (couple of years) shake down. Car rental companies don't ask for an IDP.

An IDP is a translation of a non English licence into English and adds a photo. Why would you want to translate English to English?

Edited by Lancashirelad
  • Like 1

btw I've been accusing the police of being lazy corrupt mafia only going after low-hanging fruits.

Just read that they are shifting their focus towards public transport drivers and setting up checkpoints 24/7.

This is hard work to actually make the roads safer. This, I respect.

My guess is they're going to gradually tone down on motorbike blockades for a while.

4 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

An IDP is a translation of a non English licence into English and adds a photo. Why would you want to translate English to English?

Easy cash

Edited by MysteryX
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 3:20 AM, Lancashirelad said:

Some mention they are valid for 12 months, that's correct, but you can only legally use it with your home licence for 60 or 90 days from entry depending on visa type.

That's not correct, there is no 60 or 90 days limit, so far nobody here could ever provide an official source for such a limit, so it most likely doesn't exist.

Having said that, an IDP is NOT a legal requirement in Thailand if your home licence is already in English and has a photo.

That's also not correct. The law is not 100% clear if an IDP is required or not (i would strongly recommend to have one). If we would interpret the law in such a way that an IDP is not required, then it doesn't matter in which language your home country license is, an IDP would not be required for any such license from a contracting state.

Car rental companies don't ask for an IDP.

I guess their contracts with insurance companies don't require an IDP from the driver, this is of course something they can do.

That police might fine the driver for driving without a license is not their problem.

R.A.C. advises to have an IDP in LOS for your own peace of mind as anything can happen here.

Confirm with insurance company about if or how long you can drive on a non LOS license. Better safe than sorry.

90 days is a good benchmark to avoid trouble.

https://thailandtravelessentials.com/do-you-need-an-international-driving-permit-in-thailand/

Read this one carefully...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Well Mr X - best get going and get a license - whining not recommended ...

https://www.pattayaone.news/update-50k-baht-fine-and-3-months-jail-for-driving-without-a-license/

Again cannot get in Chiang Mai (without 1 month waiting) but probably can in Lamphun no problem, will look into it soon and report back.

Focus is shifting away from foreigners more towards local drivers. My guts feeling tells me they're going to stop asking for license translation booklet gradually over 3 months and by next year it will be safe again to drive with international licenses like before. Focusing on locals first. Time will tell whether I'm right.

took me about an hour to get my thai bike and car licence here simply by showing my aussie licence plus my international permit for both, I didnt want the heavy truck licence. They checked what my licence covered had me do the tests(pull the strings, reaction test, colour test) and then gave them to me. I never had to get it translated but I had done the right thing when I arrived here and had my international licence as I knew it was needed in Thailand to drive/ride. You have been coming here for 12 years yet you do not follow the rules, makes you out to be the idiot seeing as you should know they are required as your non thai licences mean nothing here, no one to blame but yourself, especially as all you want to bitch about is how hard it is for you to get them and the time it takes, you break the law you deserve to pay the fines, just follow the law and get them

Edited by seajae

On 9/3/2019 at 7:55 PM, thurien said:

is it?

train, bus, boat, airplane, taxi, samlor, baht bus, tuktuk, bicycle, walk ... and friends with vehicle plus valid DL

While I think OP may percieved wrong at getting Thai DL(cheapest & easiest to legally get in all countries I've been), but let's face it Bangkok as a big city has least metro lines in the entire world while most buses are very expensive nowaday, also motosai could be expensive for longer distance. If I go to work by bus transfer(bang kunthian motosai->minivan->bus->walk to yaowarat) often cost more than driving a gas hungry sports car, while wasting avg. 2-3hrs in a single transit, compare to usual 40-50minutes of driving. 

While many public transit drivers are friendly and flexible, still all sorts of drivers are notorius for ignoring passenger... plus dangerous driving, I've been in accident 3 times on a bus, only once anything else.

I can only imagine worse outside Bangkok. 

Edited by Coremouse

On 9/3/2019 at 7:55 PM, thurien said:

is it?

Our new Canadian friend doesn't like to be questioned. All we need to know is that he is right. Thailand is corrupt and specifically with the police. They are out to get him.

So unless we can get him an early spot in the line to get a new license, we should just shut up and refrain from screwing his Chi.

Been busy last week but got it done today with a stroke of luck. Was ready to drive off 3 times to Lamphun.

Stopped at Canadian Consulate on the way since it's literally on the way to certify the translation. First she tells me the certification had to be done BEFORE the translation (the exact same lady who sent me off to another office for translation), then she does a certification anyway hoping it will be OK. Only tells me of the fee in the end. Fee: 450 baht on top of the 800 translation. I was hoping this would help get at least the car license easier. I'm still wondering whether the translation certification was necessary or not.

Got to Lamphun at 11am, I ask the guy for both car and motorcycle licenses. He looks through the papers, and asks me to make a photocopy of everything. I don't say a word and do so; then he tells me to sign all the copies. Tells me to come at 1pm for the 1h video.

Eat, walk around, come back for the tests and video. Got out by 3pm with both licenses.

Been seriously lucky. In Chiang Mai they wouldn't have taken my translation and I'd have to wait 1 month before getting the 5h training before going again for the exam.

So overall fees: 1250 for translation, 50 for medical certificate but hospitals now charge 200, and 320 for both licenses. Plus gasoline and time.

Sorry to disappoint you guys but the situation is resolved.

And yes I drove my motorbike to get there.

Edited by MysteryX