Buy two get one free

overherebc

Local supermarket ( no names no pack drill ) has a shelf with various items on and a sign saying 'Buy two get one free'.

Get to the check out and keep those items until last and ask the girl to check at the till, don't just let her run them through the system.

3 lots today, on that shelf, were not logged in system.

My wife asked about each lot and when the girl checked and said 'computer says no' she put them back in the trolley and told the girl you can call someone to put them back, I don't want them.

Just something to keep your eye on, and, check your bill carefully.

• Like 1

It was good when they gave you the item for free if you caught it with the wrong price at the till, even got free wine from Tesco. Now they just moodily give you it at the price on the shelf. Special offers and 2 for one are the ones to watch, normally I take photos to prevent arguments. Foodland are best as every item has the price stamped on them, never had a problem there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blue Muton said:

Off on a slight tangent, what bugs me is that the offers on shower gel in particular make the pump-action bottles cheaper than the refills.

Indeed still not aware about waste reduction.

More anomalies:

Big pack more expensive by unit than small pack.

At MAKRO check whether bundled products are really cheaper than buying single (there or elsewhere).

I usually have good luck with the 3 for price of 2, 2 for price of 1 offerings.

But thats for products that I buy regularly and know the price.

Always have a calc on smartphone :smile:

• Like 2

Round my way the big two ( the flowery one and that ex french one ) have a bit of a price war going on.
Lay’s potato chips/crisps buy 3 one free at one store, buy 2 one free at the other.
Fisherman’s reduced from 37 to 34 baht at one store, buy one free one at the other.
Protex soap reduced to 48 baht at one store, 43 baht at the other.

It goes on and on, I’m not complaining, with the baht/gbp situation it’s all welcome.

Bought 2 for 1 Colgate Plax mouthwash today, Weetbix normally 111 baht today 81 baht, I bought 3, the other week Barbasol down to 86 baht , today it was 153 baht ( wish I’d bought a couple ! ).

Call me cheap Charlie I don’t care [emoji846], makes shopping for the usual stuff a bit more entertaining !!

• Like 2

grabbed some mouthwash that had a large bottle and a small bottle attached to it, when I got to the counter the girl told me that special had ended but as they were stuck together inside shrink wrap they had to be cut apart & unwrapped if you didnt want to pay for two bottles. Just told her she could keep it all and walked out, when they are packed like that the shops pay the special price for them as well so its a blatant rip off to charge for 2 bottles but then this is Thailand, the advertised price means nothing here

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Indeed still not aware about waste reduction.

More anomalies:

Big pack more expensive by unit than small pack.

At MAKRO check whether bundled products are really cheaper than buying single (there or elsewhere).

I usually have good luck with the 3 for price of 2, 2 for price of 1 offerings.

But thats for products that I buy regularly and know the price.

Always have a calc on smartphone :smile:

In fact not all products at MAKRO are cheaper than standard supermarkets:

- Fresh beef

- Spaghetti

- Canned tomatoes

- Some brands of sunflower oil

8 hours ago, seajae said:

grabbed some mouthwash that had a large bottle and a small bottle attached to it, when I got to the counter the girl told me that special had ended but as they were stuck together inside shrink wrap they had to be cut apart & unwrapped if you didnt want to pay for two bottles. Just told her she could keep it all and walked out, when they are packed like that the shops pay the special price for them as well so its a blatant rip off to charge for 2 bottles but then this is Thailand, the advertised price means nothing here

Yeah that showed her!!!  That minimum wage cashier will not do that again will she - she won't do what she's told to by her boss because you said the shop bought them like that.

You're almost like Rosa Parks.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, CharlieH said:

I have a pet hate with these "buy one get one free" as they are often a total scam ! 

Example: Price 199 two items taped together,  go the shelf and the single item is 99 baht so you are not getting anything free, in fact you are actually paying more than you would by buying two off the shelf @ 198.

They do it a lot with toiletries.

Challenged them and they just said "want or not" ?

Rimping commonly has buy one get one free, the normal shelf price for one is honoured for two.

This probably depends on the shop.

I do my shopping mostly at Big C, and i think 95% of the "sales" are really sales (I've seen some "sales" which were actually buy two for the price of two, but i think i've never seen a "sale" which costs more than the standard price). When on sale Shokubutsu (also other brands) shower gel refills can be bought for 99THB buy one get one, while the bottles cost something like 129THB buy one get one.

Yeah at Tops the other day, normally satisfied with what I purchase but this time, when I bought

GOLDEN FUJI grape layer biscuits, I am definitely not satisfied.  The pictures on the wrapping are

definitely not what one receives.  Inside each package are smaller, 3 biscuits per wrapper.  However inside the small packages, only 1 biscuit might have 1 tiny piece of a grape, unlike ANY other grape layer biscuits I have purchased before at Tops or Rimping.  These come from a CHINESE factory so why am I surprised.  Will definitely be looking at the fine print for now on.!  As an aside, while it says grape layer, in truth the berries are black currants.  Healthy yes, but misleading in advertising.  

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This probably depends on the shop.

I do my shopping mostly at Big C, and i think 95% of the "sales" are really sales (I've seen some "sales" which were actually buy two for the price of two, but i think i've never seen a "sale" which costs more than the standard price). When on sale Shokubutsu (also other brands) shower gel refills can be bought for 99THB buy one get one, while the bottles cost something like 129THB buy one get one.

I live where the nearest supermarket is some kilometers away.    I can buy most of what I need cheaper in the local big stores ( those supplying local shops ); savings often 5%.    As for fruit and veg,, with a good eye and a nice smile prices beat anything in the supermarkets - example 3 lettuce 15 baht enough for 4 - 5 salads.

Was overcharged 100baht on a special price offer at local BigC, complained and given refund.

Most buy i get 1 free offers are nothing short of scams.
Recently i went into my local BIG supermarket, i went to get a bag of chips ( french fries ) to some people.
Normally they are 69 baht each, not that day damn BIG sign saying buy 1 get 1 free, but the price ticket said 138 baht per pack, now if that is not a scam what is.

Yeah but you bought 2 @ 69 baht so you didn’t really get scammed, just paid the normal price [emoji51]

That has to be a clerical error, someone didn’t understand what was meant to be written I think.

I must say I’ve never come across anything like this, all the 2 for 1 or buy 2 free 1 promotions I see are kosher ( and I do do a quick calculation in my head, wouldn’t be proud to be a Yorkshireman if I didn’t ).

What does make me wonder though is some sales ( usually selling brand name T shirts outside their store at Future Park ) will say “ buy 5 free 1 “, who buys 5 ( or 6 in this case ) t shirts in one go ??

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yeah but you bought 2 @ 69 baht so you didn’t really get scammed, just paid the normal price emoji51.png

That has to be a clerical error, someone didn’t understand what was meant to be written I think.

I must say I’ve never come across anything like this, all the 2 for 1 or buy 2 free 1 promotions I see are kosher ( and I do do a quick calculation in my head, wouldn’t be proud to be a Yorkshireman if I didn’t ).

What does make me wonder though is some sales ( usually selling brand name T shirts outside their store at Future Park ) will say “ buy 5 free 1 “, who buys 5 ( or 6 in this case ) t shirts in one go ??

Look at my post, then look above at speedo1968s post both things happened in the same store.

Never mind clerical error, just scamming customers.

I do this, and i'm probably not alone [emoji6]
Usually i own about 10 T-shirts in total, half of them are good looking, the other half are older shirts. Upon noticing that my good looking shirts don't look good anymore i keep my eyes open for some shirt sale, and if i see one which i like i buy five new shirts in different colors or with different prints. Then i use my oldest shirts for cleaning my motorbike etc. and finally throw them away.

Yup, something I need to do.
Ironically the gf was ironing just now and said “ don’t have any coat hangers “ I have bought some t shirts over the last few weeks and do need to have a “ clear out” of the older ones ( that probably don’t fit me anymore.

But I think the real coat hanger issue is they have migrated to her wardrobe [emoji51]

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I do this, and i'm probably not alone ????

Usually i own about 10 T-shirts in total, half of them are good looking, the other half are older shirts. Upon noticing that my good looking shirts don't look good anymore i keep my eyes open for some shirt sale, and if i see one which i like i buy five new shirts in different colors or with different prints. Then i use my oldest shirts for cleaning my motorbike etc. and finally throw them away.

I sweat like a fat repulsive pig and can go through two or three T shirts a day dependiing on what I am doing. I leave them all here when I leave as I have Chang T-Shirt in size large from 20 years ago.

The white man is not the white man without a Chang Shirt or a Bangkok/Pattaya Harley shirt. its tres chic

Edited by Nyezhov

I sweat like a fat repulsive pig and can go through two or three T shirts a day dependiing on what I am doing. I leave them all here when I leave as I have Chang T-Shirt in size large from 20 years ago.

The white man is not the white man without a Chang Shirt or a Bangkok/Pattaya Harley shirt. its tres chic

Or one of these :

IMG_2668.JPG
  • Like 1

I never go for anything more complicated than buy one get one free. I can check it at the counter. Besides I only need one. Ok I'll take a second at discount. I definitely don't need a third perhaps nowhere to even store it. But mainly it's just drama following buy multiple items...

On 9/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, CharlieH said:

I have a pet hate with these "buy one get one free" as they are often a total scam ! 

Example: Price 199 two items taped together,  go the shelf and the single item is 99 baht so you are not getting anything free, in fact you are actually paying more than you would by buying two off the shelf @ 198.

They do it a lot with toiletries.

Challenged them and they just said "want or not" ?

Have  to say that is  not  just in Thailand. It  is  strategy  used   in many places  in the world.