Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

50 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

B Johnson end game is winning a general election while seeing off the Brexit Party.

He will return after requesting an extension and put forward Mays deal , backstop tweaked.

He hopes Parliament ratifies the deal abd the UK leaves on time.

The GE will take place and while committed Brexit party supporters will vote for Farage the other non committed relieved that Brexit over will return to their normal voting intentions.

Well, you might be right. However, if he gets "May's" deal over the line then I would expect that the amount of tweaking that might go with it will be severely limited and that will restrict the amount of success he may get in seeing off the Brexit Party. In this case, then the leavers may split in protest and the outcome will probably be some kind of ghastly coalition (not sure who might form it). Then the UK will be bogged down for even longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Indeed, this may be a TV topic on it's own. There will be more resignations to come, many Tories actually have principles of sorts.

I am not an expert on Parliamentary history, but surely this has to go down as the worst first week any PM has ever had. How many more defeats can he stand. I think the most astonishing thing is to read the headlines in the Mail, Sun, Express (Journalism's answer to Rabies) and the Telegraph. Imagine you were a loyal reader, and you reached the end of the week believing that nothing had gone wrong with the glorious march towards Brexit, and the only thing of note was that Corbyn was a chicken. Then you gradually became aware through other sources that it had actually been a Weekus Horribilis (To misquote HM) for Boris. Would you not feel that the "Newspaper" that you had been reading, had betrayed you by hiding the actual news from you. 

Boris's problem is that nobody believes anymore that he is having serious negotiations with the EU about a deal, it's all pretense. So claiming that ruling out No Deal is effecting negotiations, is obviously complete BS, there are no  meaningful ones, as Amber Rudd implies. Now they are planning to put up a challenger to Bercow at the next election, entirely against convention. This is petty, vindictive, and pointless, Dom and Bojo at their shallow - probably drunken, worst.

Brexiteers should look at BoJo's face, and ask yourself in all honesty if this is really the man that is going to lead you to the promised land. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 10.45.54.png

Well he should take more care shaving, I have to give you that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Another blow for the bully man...

Toby Helm, Michael Savage, Andrew Rawnsley and Daniel Boffey in Brussels

Sun 8 Sep 2019 00.49 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/07/amber-rudd-resigns-from-cabinet-and-surrenders-conservative-whip

Amber Rudd quits cabinet and attacks PM for 'political vandalism'

Work and pensions secretary also leaves parliamentary Conservative party and sends excoriating letter to No 10

Boris Johnson’s government was in danger of imploding last night as the work and pensions secretary, Amber Rudd, dramatically quit the cabinet and resigned the Conservative whip, saying should could not “stand by” while “loyal moderate MPs” were purged from the party.

In a devastating resignation letter, she accused the prime minister of “an assault on decency and democracy” and “an act of political vandalism” for sacking 21 of her Tory colleagues for backing a parliamentary bill to stop a no-deal Brexit.

Rudd told Johnson she had joined his cabinet “in good faith accepting that no deal had to be on the table”. She added: “However, I no longer believe leaving with a deal is the government’s main objective.”

more...

just wondering when is he going to throw in the towel....555

• Confused 1

It's getting ugly...

2019-09-08_141053.png

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/07/anti-brexit-protesters-decry-johnsons-coup-in-london-and-leeds

Anti-Brexit protesters decry Johnson's 'coup' in cities across UK

Anna Soubry ‘too frightened’ to speak at London event marred by at least 16 arrests

In the largest of a number of demonstrations across Britain on Saturday, crowds gathered outside Downing Street to protest against “Boris Johnson’s coup against the democratic process” and hear combative speeches from anti-Brexit campaigners.

The London protest was marred by violence when scores of pro-Brexit counter-protesters attempted to disrupt the rally and provoke the anti-Brexit demonstrators by marching through the crowd holding a banner demanding the UK reverts to WTO rules – which some believe would be the default eventuality after a no-deal Brexit – and verbally insulting them.

The Metropolitan police confirmed that there had been skirmishes and said 16 arrests had been made in connection with the protests in Westminster, mainly for violent disorder, but also for possession of an offensive weapon and a racially aggravated public order offence.

Edited by david555

3 hours ago, david555 said:

Sun 8 Sep 2019 00.49 BST

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/07/amber-rudd-resigns-from-cabinet-and-surrenders-conservative-whip

Work and pensions secretary also leaves parliamentary Conservative party and sends excoriating letter to No 10

Boris Johnson’s government was in danger of imploding last night as the work and pensions secretary, Amber Rudd, dramatically quit the cabinet and resigned the Conservative whip, saying should could not “stand by” while “loyal moderate MPs” were purged from the party.

In a devastating resignation letter, she accused the prime minister of “an assault on decency and democracy” and “an act of political vandalism” for sacking 21 of her Tory colleagues for backing a parliamentary bill to stop a no-deal Brexit.

Rudd told Johnson she had joined his cabinet “in good faith accepting that no deal had to be on the table”. She added: “However, I no longer believe leaving with a deal is the government’s main objective.”

more...

A blow, that's a blessing for the remainer. She will not be missed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If he does what will you do. You will have nothing else to do but comment on British politics. It must be really grim in Holland.

No …,it is  only fun to see it disturb you …, not so much happens with us , life roll's on...

4 hours ago, david555 said:

Sun 8 Sep 2019 00.49 BST

more...

In the mean time Leadsom intends to see the downfall of Bercow by calling on the Conservative to put up a candidate to oppose the speaker at the next election.

John Bercow represents Buckingham, probably well liked in his constituency that was pro remain at the Referendum, the Brexit Party has already said they will contest the seat that by convention the major parties do not contest the seat of the Speaker.

I would suggest Leadsom take more interest in retaining her own seat...  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

In the mean time Leadsom intends to see the downfall of Bercow by calling on the Conservative to put up a candidate to oppose the speaker at the next election.

John Bercow represents Buckingham, probably well liked in his constituency that was pro remain at the Referendum, the Brexit Party has already said they will contest the seat that by convention the major parties do not contest the seat of the Speaker.

I would suggest Leadsom take more interest in retaining her own seat...  

such a vote ...is it with simple majority or 2/3 one ?

28 minutes ago, david555 said:

such a vote ...is it with simple majority or 2/3 one ?

Simple majority. However, a candidate must be proposed by at least 12 members and at least 3 must be from another party. Normally takes place after a GE but if the sitting speaker stands for re-election, convention has it that he is returned unopposed, but this isn't parliamentary law. Secret ballot.

The Father of the House presides over proceedings (Ken Clarke, if he's still an MP).

If Clarke is no longer a member, Dennis Skinner would be due to hold the title but has previously said that he wouldn't accept it. Good old Dennis the Menace!

Edited by DannyCarlton

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Simple majority. However, a candidate must be proposed by at least 12 members and at least 3 must be from another party. Normally takes place after a GE but if the sitting speaker stands for re-election, convention has it that he is returned unopposed, but this isn't parliamentary law. Secret ballot.

The Father of the House presides over proceedings (Ken Clarke, if he's still an MP).

In that case I think Bercow has nothing to fear …., but I thought he would retire …? Or is he waiting the result for that Brexit trilogy end…?

Probably becoming Lord Bercow ….after

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

You misunderstood my post , I cannot be bothered to explain to you what the word 'someone' means .( 'Someone"doesnt mean myself , it means someone else,other than me)

First you say you cannot be bothered to explain the meaning of 'someone' then you explain it!

But I wasn't referring to your 'someone' post but one you made afterwards.

Fairly obvious, I'd have thought, as I quoted it!

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

700 pages of waffle.  Until the EU admits that Brexit means Brexit they will forever be the stumbling point to the triumph of our Great Nation.

Like any legal document, especially a treaty, the withdrawal agreement has to cover any and all eventualities; hence the waffle!

But there are plenty of shorter summaries of the main points, such as the one I posted earlier.

If the EU admit that Brexit means Brexit, explain their stance that if our government don't approach them with proposals for a new deal which are agreed by them and the UK parliament by 31st October then we are out without a deal?

15 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Boris realised this, and understood that, as the Brexity of Brexiteers, he had a job for life, so long as he could prevent us leaving the EU.  

Good job, Boris!

Make your mind up; is Boris a Brexiteer or really a secret Remainer doing his best to sabotage Brexit?

Edited by 7by7
Addendum

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

You have already called me a liar. You did not ask for a detailed list. Now you want more answers to a completely different question. Your whole line is jagged. 

First you say you've answered my question, now you say you haven't because I've not asked it!

Never mind; consistency is something I long ago stopped expecting from many Brexiteers here!

• Sad 1