Opponents of 'no-deal' Brexit defeat PM Johnson, who promises an election

webfact

50 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Well you don't run a business , or rely on imported medicines , or care about disruption to the manufacturing supply chain on which 100 of thousands of jobs depend , or have a relative in social care , or rising fuel and food prices for a start. I say if this doesn't concern you then you are a wrecker who wishes ill on the country. And that's that - I hope and pray wiser counsel will prevail. 

Au contraire.

I own a business that has taken steps to ensure that any impact from a hard Brexit does not adversely affect the annual profits of £500k+

I wish for a better long-term future for my family, and country, which I believe will come from leaving the EU. If that leaving involves a few bumps in the road so be it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Well I am correct then. Your actual words were 'If you really knew what you were voting for you would know that SMEs are the largest employer in the UK'.

That's exactly the same as telling me that if I did not know what an SME is I did not know what I was voting for.

Failing to grasp the meaning hardly makes you correct, but that is brexit in a nutshell.

UK business is systematically being sold off to foreign entities while brexiteers are convinced they are taking back control.

British Steel going to the Turkish army was bad enough, but Abbott Ale in the hands of the Chinese, unthinkable.

The bid for the LSE follows a string of foreign acquisitions of British companies. Last month, US toymaker Hasbro bought the UK-listed owner of Peppa Pig, while Britain’s biggest pub owner Greene King agreed to sell its entire business to CKA, a Hong Kong real estate group.

Earlier this year, Fuller’s, another UK pub group, sold its brewing business to Asahi, Japan’s largest brewer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/lse-hong-kong-london-stock-exchange-hkex-buy-brexit-pound-a9101166.html

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

UK business is systematically being sold off to foreign entities while brexiteers are convinced they are taking back control.

British Steel going to the Turkish army was bad enough, but Abbott Ale in the hands of the Chinese, unthinkable.

The bid for the LSE follows a string of foreign acquisitions of British companies. Last month, US toymaker Hasbro bought the UK-listed owner of Peppa Pig, while Britain’s biggest pub owner Greene King agreed to sell its entire business to CKA, a Hong Kong real estate group.

Earlier this year, Fuller’s, another UK pub group, sold its brewing business to Asahi, Japan’s largest brewer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/lse-hong-kong-london-stock-exchange-hkex-buy-brexit-pound-a9101166.html

And the Financial Times was sold to the Japanese so they would get publicity they could control

5 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Au contraire.

I own a business that has taken steps to ensure that any impact from a hard Brexit does not adversely affect the annual profits of £500k+

I wish for a better long-term future for my family, and country, which I believe will come from leaving the EU. If that leaving involves a few bumps in the road so be it.

Have an offshore account by any chance do you?

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Britain’s biggest pub owner Greene King agreed to sell its entire business to CKA, a Hong Kong real estate group.

Wow! Stuff Brexit, that's the worst news ever. My local pub was aquired bt Greene King a few years back. Has been my local for 40 years. Georgean building in a prime location surrounded by a huge car park. All recent developments in that area have been luxury apartments.

I must return to the UK and buy the apartment that will occupy the rear LHS of the ground floor of the building. I'll bid for a section of the bar and install it in my lounge. Then I can sit at the bar, pour my bottle of Stella into one of my original Stella glasses, put some really annoying football match on the TV and say to myself, "Ahhh, nothing has changed...." Just need some fat munter to pour my Stella.

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Au contraire.

Removing certain rights from the UK population can hardly be described as a "bump in the road"

Collateral damage is perfectly acceptable to many, as long as it is not them.

17 hours ago, yogi100 said:

And how many of the 8.7 million people of working age who are economically inactive do you think are in reality swinging the lead with feigned ailments like bad backs, supposed mental problems, stress and depression etc.

As I have already explained to you, those 8.7 million (estimated) aged between 16 and retirement age who are not working are not unemployed because they are not seeking work.

As already shown to you, over half of them are in full time education. Would you kick them all out of school, college, university and tell them to go and get a job? If so, where will our future doctors, nurses etc. come from? EU migrants, perhaps?

The next group are unable to work due to a disability; but as you accuse them of "swinging the lead with feigned ailments" I can only assume that you want them to be forced out to work. Yes, there are some who are as you describe, but most are not.

Then there are those who are carers for disabled family members who need full time care who are saving the government a fortune through doing work which the government would have to pay someone else to do. But I suppose you will accuse these dedicated individuals of stealing jobs!

Other economically inactive persons include parents, usually the mother sometimes the father, who stay at home to look after their young children while the other parent goes out to work. Are you going to accuse them of stealing work from child minders?

Then there's those who have been able to retire early, but are classed as economically inactive rather than pensioners because they are below the state retirement age.

Perhaps you believe and will claim it's only the 1.5 million the government tell us are actually unemployed?

Yes, because it is them who have registered as such and are, or supposed to be, actively looking for work. The 8.7 million are not for, as explained above, they are not actively seeking work.

You've 'proven' absolutely zilch so pull the other one it's got bells on.

That you've ignored the facts proves one thing, and one thing only; the truth of the old adage:

"You can lead a horse to water,

but you can't make them drink.

You can lead a person to knowledge,

but you can't make them think."

As does your repetition of your usual tired, old pony in the rest of your post.

Archived