Extending pub opening hours will just lead to more crime and mayhem - think again Phiphat!

webfact

Who cares about opening hours of bars and pubs when looking for a holiday destination? Open until 2 am or 4 am doesn't make any difference for neither tourists or expats, (at least not for me). 

Clear and clean water, clean environment, not as in Thailand where it looks like a junk yard even in cities, good food and cheap prices are 100 times more important than if I have 2 more hours to get more drunk than I already probably are at 2 am????

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

How about doing a lockout time like in Sydney, if your not in a pub/club/establishment serving alcohol by 1am, your out of luck, patrons already in can remain until they close, usually 3-4am, it has reduced the amount of people being injured for their own good, and those places still make a killing so to speak.

Although I have no direct personal experience of Sydney lockout laws, many reports I’ve read in the media state that these laws have devastated Sydney’s night life, with quotes such as “lead to millions of fewer visitors”, and “cost of $1.4 billion in turnover”. These reports are easy to find with a web search.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Phiphat thinks that the move will stimulate the economy by 25%.

I thought it was another kind of "quality tourists" the nation was heading for, than those spending their holiday mainly in the nightlife.

2 am is not that bad a closing time, eventually prolong dedicated nightlife areas till 3 am, and then let a limited number of venues, i.e. clubs, in major tourist areas be authorized with later openings hours, or a few so-called "after party" places, provided their noise/sound don't disturb the neighborhood; eventually soundproof buildings.

I'm staying in a tourist party-destinationfor, for about 15 years, and the tourists typically head back to their hotels between 2:30 am and 3 am – venues are open till little later than two – and even before, when there were longer opening hours at some clubs, only a few could survive being open all night. And I'm talking a about a destination where parties are part of the tourists attraction, however a few monthly events are, and have always been, running all night till sunrise.

However, I don't believe that longer openings hours in the nightlife will "stimulate the economy by 25%", extra tourists turnover will be in my view be limited to a few percent or less...????

Extending closing hours for bars is just one of many other steps needed to ease the nightlife experience in Thailand. Above all else what Thailand needs to do is to recapture the glorious past when bars and clubs had much more freedom to offer different experiences to guests. Just hark back to Patpong of old. In that one lively lane there were strip bars, gogo bars, LB bars, music bars with live bands, discotheques, bars with unique entertainment offerings, and so on. Just ensure the lane is spruced up and maintained well. The money for maintenance would come from the bars. Don't get too officious. Just unleash the entrepreneurial spirit of bar and club owners/managers and partner them in reviving tourism. There will be less corruption and harassment if more activities are legalised. Less corruption and harassment will automatically translate to lower prices which is a big plus. I'm sure the tourists will be back.

In the UK, Scotland was the first to allow 'all hours opening' for bars.  Previously they had some of the strictest opening/closing times.  The consensus of opinion was that drunkenness would escalate.  England watched before following a similar tack.  Surprisingly to most, drunkenness did not escalate but quite the opposite.  There was a big reduction in 'drunks'.

England followed suit.

6 hours ago, keithet said:

Staying that late in a bar would involve section38 and the real crime would be that the bars did not file a tm30 for staying overnight at another address. 

Pay bar fine ,  along with your TM 30 print out ,   and remember safety first ,

be home at your stated address, before 24.00  enjoy short time...

So I've read 5 pages of discussions whether it's good or bad for tourism. C'mon folks, are you for real? There are thousands of bars and clubs in Bangkok alone and they're all packed on weekends - you will rarely see any foreign faces though. All the touristy places together are no more than a drop in an ocean, this isn't about tourism but about local life.

46 minutes ago, HHTel said:

In the UK, Scotland was the first to allow 'all hours opening' for bars.  Previously they had some of the strictest opening/closing times.  The consensus of opinion was that drunkenness would escalate.  England watched before following a similar tack.  Surprisingly to most, drunkenness did not escalate but quite the opposite.  There was a big reduction in 'drunks'.

England followed suit.

I can understand that.  "Last Call"  and  Closing Time rules  at any  nominated  time would  see bulk  last minute binges resulting  in a sudden peak in inebriation whereas a  no  call environment would  create a  more  relaxed environment which  although  not reducing total intoxication  would  not  create a sudden ejection of   drunk people  onto the streets all at the same time. Which  would be less likely  to  cause  aggression and associated  behaviour.

41 minutes ago, commie said:

So I've read 5 pages of discussions whether it's good or bad for tourism. C'mon folks, are you for real? There are thousands of bars and clubs in Bangkok alone and they're all packed on weekends - you will rarely see any foreign faces though. All the touristy places together are no more than a drop in an ocean, this isn't about tourism but about local life.

I go to this one place out in Wang Thonglang that is packed to the gills till all hours of the am....with Thai men. Older, established Thai men. These geezers know how to party. Its ugly on my liver.

8 hours ago, Katipo said:

Keeping bars open in certain areas could help tourism a bit, but in a country that is notorious for not being able to enforce laws, I could see this creeping out in to other areas. Drunk driving and alcohol fuelled violence are a real issue, so I think serious thought has to be given as to whether the Gov/Police can really manage these extended hours and thus avoid the potential carnage it could cause.

I think those who are going to be drunk will be drunk and on the roads whether it’s 2 or 4. Good for the bar/club owners and tourists in the beach areas. 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Phiphat thinks that the move will stimulate the economy by 25 %

The economy of what ?

Of Thailand ?

With my limited knowledge of econometrics, I don't think so.

Personally, I used to enjoy late opening hours.

Tuesdays or Wednesdays we had a few hours of sleep after work before hitting the town; by 4 o'clock to a night restaurant; another few hours of sleeping and back to work .. ..

Never missed a day's work because of that. On Saturday mornings used to make a small detour to get a week's supply of fresh veggies from the market at opening.

We'd drink with the goal to enjoy ourselves, did not have the goal to get drunk because that would spoil the fun, doesn't it.

Who wants to talk with a drunk person? nobody!

Fun days, and then, I got married ....

11 hours ago, Katipo said:

Keeping bars open in certain areas could help tourism a bit, but in a country that is notorious for not being able to enforce laws, I could see this creeping out in to other areas. Drunk driving and alcohol fuelled violence are a real issue, so I think serious thought has to be given as to whether the Gov/Police can really manage these extended hours and thus avoid the potential carnage it could cause.

Well at least most non-drunk people r safely ftucked up in bed between 5 and 6am allowing the party animals to only kill or maim each other!

17 hours ago, mercman24 said:

FIRSTLY , what a disgusting photo, yes and 99% of the crime is done by THAIS not people on holiday and ex pats who live here. many tourists are use to late night opening in their country, and that is rubbish to say more fighting,  see then streaming out at 2 am in all the bars in bangkok, if it brings in more money for ISAN i say good job. talk about dead. i popped up to Bamngkok the weekend, i was the only guy in what use to be a busy bar. 2 am all the shutters came down. there must be a need as all the pavement bars pop up, and great atmosphere, no one fighting as one would like to make out, just people enjoying themselves

People have a certain budget to spend when here on holiday, they will not go out in the evening and stay to 4am spending every hour. They will eat & drink and go back to the hotel to sleep ready for the next day.

A handful of <deleted>-heads will try to do it all but not the majority.
Thais will not spend more, they will just go out later, so the bars will be open all hours but taking the same revenue.

Residents and staff will suffer as they will have to endure the noise & longer working hours with little reward. If he thinks 2 extra hours of business will generate 25% more then he's dreaming!

10 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Although I have no direct personal experience of Sydney lockout laws, many reports I’ve read in the media state that these laws have devastated Sydney’s night life, with quotes such as “lead to millions of fewer visitors”, and “cost of $1.4 billion in turnover”. These reports are easy to find with a web search.

Ever heard the saying, don't believe everything you read ?

Devastated Sydney's nightlife, or brought it back to order ?

I grew up in Sydney, the nightlife has always been good, however when it gets to levels of far too many young people on the streets who cannot handle their alcohol because places are open till the early hours of the morning, then you have to cull the trend, e.g. lock them out at 1.00am, that said, if they are in an establishment before 1.00am, they can remain drinking their merry ways till the places shut between 3am-4am.

This law was put into place because too many young people got into fights, and some minding their own business walking along got a one punch hit to the head, fell and hit their heads on the pavement with them never regaining consciousness, so at the end of the day, you can either allow things to be the way they are, or put in measures to handle the out of control situation that it was, that said, Sydney is a beautiful place to go out to in the evening, let alone the day time, and we are actually returning their in a month for a holiday with the family, suffice to say if those lock out laws were not in place, I would not be taking the family for a walk through the streets when the City is brilliantly lite up at night, as if wouldn't be safe.

The above said, it got to a level that the paramedics were being bashed trying to treat those intoxicated after being in a fight, even being set upon treating those one punch innocent victims, police also being hit which is a no, no, and so on, door men, or bouncers as we refer to them also had their hands full, it was out of control, the public wanted this curbed back as many felt that it wasn't safe to walk the streets, and I for one experienced it first hand, it wasn't pretty, it wasn't safe, had a few occasions where I was sized up, fortunately for me, I remembered how to shadow dance from many years ago and a few Aikido moves taught to me by my late brother which at both times got me out of trouble or should I say got the attacker out of trouble using both situations to defend myself and not counter attack them, unfortunately a lot of people don't know how to defend off an attacker or even get the chance at times from unsuspecting King hits, seen it here in Phuket as well from drunks having a go with a Thai, and we know Thai's don't fight alone and are famous for attacking like a pack of wolves, nuff said.

9 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Another drunk person?

Indeed, and that is usually unfortunately an exchange of highly original and intellectual ideas that surely one needs to remember.
So what is the point of that exchange of words, passing time ?

Bar owner happy tourist happy bar girl happy chance to earn more money on the night if they want.if the girl wants to work to close keeps them off the st.got to be good like before except a government do gooder.ask a bar owner in the towns outside the major towns.how many bars close because of it.also the owner can decide to close early or late if the customer is there he will stay later.just do it

23 hours ago, M71 said:

Money matters more anywhere than death and disruption - where you been, Mars?

4 am opening is fine it's good for the economy and the people.

Which people? Not for those people whose sleep will be disrupted. Or the victims of alcohol-fueled antisocial and criminal behavior, certain to increase in number if this measure is approved.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:38 AM, spidermike007 said:

Whether or not it would lead to more crime remains uncertain. What is certain is that it will do nothing for tourism. The Chinese and Indians have little interest and you have pushed most of the Westerners away. They are not coming back. Word is already out there, that they are not welcome, and once spurned, now gone. For good. Too many alternatives. 

Thailand really thought they were the center of the universe. They really thought nobody could resist it's incredible charms. 

Pretty easy for most Westerners to  resist now. The Golden goose has left the building. Live with what you sow.

Ten years of indifference, lethargy, hostility, gross incompetence, open hatred of foreigners by the administration and immigration, has come at a very high cost. Live with it. 

Here Here, been using Thailand for wintering away for 6 months at a time for last 15 yrs and spending a good amount of money. I and many thousands of others are telling them to stuff their 6th world  country 

I would agree about road carnage if bars all over Thailand were to stay open later, but this proposed extension to 4 a.m. is for a few condensed entertainment areas situated near resorts and hotels and mainly frequented by tourists walking or taking a taxi home. Am I wrong? Do most or a significant number of patrons of these areas drive their own cars there?  

57 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Which people? Not for those people whose sleep will be disrupted. Or the victims of alcohol-fueled antisocial and criminal behavior, certain to increase in number if this measure is approved.

If people are living next door to Soi Cowboy or Walking Street, surely they are used to late night entertainment areas. They probably live next door because they are the ones out there having fun.

4 hours ago, Mac98 said:

If people are living next door to Soi Cowboy or Walking Street, surely they are used to late night entertainment areas. They probably live next door because they are the ones out there having fun.

That's just plain daft - and you know it.

Yes make is Licencing to build more car parks near the clubs, so more People can drive home Drunk !!! Right !!! Har Har !!! .... Extending Licencing hours, past even midnight (well 1 pm is OK ? I guess, like it was for years in Bangkok) .... is just internationally insane ! ....  and just part of the new Monet talks, and <deleted> walks (or is in Casualty) International cycle of GREED and deliberately not seeing the truth !!! .... Or doing any thing about it !!! 

Archived