New Bank Regulations as of 26 August

Get organized. Use ATM cards and internet banking to avoid - by all means - a physical presence in a Thai bank. 
So the only presence is when you need your letters and updated bank books for your visa extensions or replacing a worn ATM-card. 

You're living in a multi-class country so adopt accordingly! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Don't know, but when establishing a bank account, a passport is usually the doc of record to open an account for aliens.

Because they need visa details . For deposits or withdraw , all that is supposedly needed is official id for identification purposes. 

16 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Get organized. Use ATM cards and internet banking to avoid - by all means - a physical presence in a Thai bank. 
So the only presence is when you need your letters and updated bank books for your visa extensions or replacing a worn ATM-card. 

You're living in a multi-class country so adopt accordingly! 

Can not withdraw 100000 or more with ATM. 

Nothing to do with multi class society, as I mentioned bank notice states the same for thai nationals, no DL as of 26 August 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Number 6 said:

It's a minor inconvenience. If I'm withdrawing serious money I'd expect to produce a passport. If not just use ATM. If they stop ATM use for farang that's a red flag for me. Another move to push us out.

Ironically direct deposits from work I'm certain will be gladly accepted without ID.

The OP said you have to produce the passport to also pay in to your own account, not only withdraw.

1 hour ago, Estrada said:

Always had to produce my passport at Bangkok Bank for many years. They will not accept my driver's license despite it having my passport number and address on it. Had the account there for 25 years and the Bank Manager knows me well but rules are rules as there have been too many scams.

I'd be interested in knowing how people can scam paying money IN to their own account. Hard as I try, I just can't get my head into thinking like a Thai.

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd be interested in knowing how people can scam paying money IN to their own account. Hard as I try, I just can't get my head into thinking like a Thai.

I am thinking it’s BOT policy to avoid/monitor/deter/money laundering 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Most of the comments above are about, rightly, needing to show a passport to withdraw money. But the OP said it is needed to pay money into your own account too. Where is the threat to anything or anyone in paying money into your own account? Am I missing something?

Yes. We're in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BestB said:

Because they need visa details . For deposits or withdraw , all that is supposedly needed is official id for identification purposes. 

Nope, they need it for identification purposes and of course also to determine status of residence in the country to be able to open a bank account.

For deposits or withdraw they have clarified that a passport is the only doc now required for identification, they made and clarified the rules and that's how it is.

Just need to comply, whats the problem?

Edited by userabcd

17 minutes ago, BestB said:

Can not withdraw 100000 or more with ATM

If with a foreign bank card, you have to contact your bank abroad, of course their policy may be a max of 100000.

If with a Thai bankcard here also you have to contact your bank to increase the limit.

With some you can do it via their app; I am at S.C.B and can do it on my mobile.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

If with a foreign bank card, you have to contact your bank abroad, of course their policy may be a max of 100000.

If with a Thai bankcard here also you have to contact your bank to increase the limit.

With some you can do it via their app; I am at S.C.B and can do it on my mobile.

I did it over the phone last week, speaking to the SCB call centre.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Nope, they need it for identification purposes and of course also to determine status of residence in the country to be able to open a bank account.

For deposits or withdraw they have clarified that a passport is the only doc now required for identification, they made and clarified the rules and that's how it is.

Just need to comply, whats the problem?

Since you such an expert , perhaps you can post a link confirming ?

surely, it would not be a problem right?

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, BestB said:

Yup, no more DL, silly part is DL has your passport number .

Yes but sometimes (like me) had to get new passport.The the drivers license didn't expire at the same time .I changed the passport number when I renewed my Thai 5 year drivers license that was  due 14 months later.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Local bank atm has atm limits withdrawals per day. Limits vary bank to bank but it certainly not limitless 

krungsi and kbank, my accounts max daily is 100000

1 minute ago, digger70 said:

Yes but sometimes (like me) had to get new passport.The the drivers license didn't expire at the same time .I changed the passport number when I renewed my Thai 5 year drivers license that was  due 14 months later.

Anywhere in the world bank requires identification to withdraw money . Limiting it to passport only is silly when there are other official ID cards such as driving license or pink ID card.

name matches, photo matches, you are identified.

again, in 20 years not once was I asked for passport to withdraw money, thai DL always accepted . Kbank , Krungsi and TMB

Still confused my people argue or post how it works for them.

i posted what bank told me and posted signs all over the branch, which states as of 26 August, passport only as per BOT new regulations.

This is all I saw, this is all I was told and this is all I posted . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

So they ask for your passport. You hand it over to them. They do whatever they need to do with it. They hand it back to you. Easy.

Gee, really ? Is that how it works ? Thanks for the heads up ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Since you such an expert , perhaps you can post a link confirming ?

surely, it would not be a problem right?

Not an expert.

Cant post a link as do not have any inside knowledge of a banks working rules and regulations, perhaps you could request the OP to post a link.

• Like 1

Just now, userabcd said:

Not an expert.

Cant post a link as do not have any inside knowledge of a banks working rules and regulations, perhaps you could request the OP to post a link.

So you can not post a link, you can not back your facts but you insist on posting what you think as facts?

i am the OP and you want me to post links to what? Signs of new regulations I saw in the bank ? Sure just for you will go back today , make a photo and post it for you. Would that be sufficient enough for you?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BestB said:

So you can not post a link, you can not back your facts but you insist on posting what you think as facts?

i am the OP and you want me to post links to what? Signs of new regulations I saw in the bank ? Sure just for you will go back today , make a photo and post it for you. Would that be sufficient enough for you?

Yes, and be quick with it!

Make sure you get a bank official to sign their name in blood too.

Thanks for posting, Sorry you're getting so much flak as the OP who posted what they saw in the bank. Thanks for letting us all know though.

I never take my passport out of the house, unless I'm going to immigration. Looks like Plan B then.

It's a hard life, but someone's got to do it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BestB said:

Local bank atm has atm limits withdrawals per day. Limits vary bank to bank but it certainly not limitless 

krungsi and kbank, my accounts max daily is 100000

Withdrawal amount per day you can set yourself. It's not really fixed for each card/bank.

My latest ATM card had no limit when issued. I asked them to put a daily limit on which they did there and then.

Edited by overherebc

By using restricted types of ID with the bank deposits and withdrawals it is easy for the governments to track money movement to fight against money laundering which has hit the news here recently. Money being moved around in small amounts is nothing but when large amounts of money is being moved around into and out of bank accounts then this is a way of tracking that money. As the OP said that he saw the signs in the bank and this is now the new requirement to deposit and withdraw money over the counter inside the bank and this law comes into affect from the 29th August. So now if you want to do over the counter transactions be prepared to produce what ID they want you to show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

Almost all the Thai bank ATMs have per withdrawal limits of 20-30K baht at a time -- regardless of the DAILY withdrawal limit on either the card's Thai or foreign account.

One exception to that is some of the new SCB ATMs, which I believe can dispense a maximum of 200 or 250K per withdrawal. But I think those larger amounts are only for SCB accounts and cards, might work for other Thai bank cards, and almost definitely do not work (provide those larger amounts) for any foreign cards.

• Thanks 1