Success! DIY retire extension @Chonburi with a twist

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Just like on the pages everyday of Thai Visa The Nation this blatant corruption is well known to many. Whether you blame the briber or the bribee, it does not matter. IMO I'm not sure if the op received straight information or just idle threats. But I do believe these illegal acts to falsify immigration databases will be stopped. If people were paying others to commit immigration crimes in Canada I would want them out of my country. I believe there are many Thais that feel the same way..   

When laws are absurd people become ingenious to subvert them.  Yeah Canada where second generation immigrant gangs run riot..but they came in legally and cant be gotten rid off now. The current Thai sytem, abuse and all  is very sophisticated but westerners viewing Thailand through the prism of western values make culturally loaded value judgements and miss the nuances and structured ambiguity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

I Have lived here 14 yrs and have always done everything at Immigration myself.

Chiang Mai is so organized now, it makes no sense to use an Agent.

One thing that would benefit all of us IS......if Thai Immigration website had a precise checklist of what is required for each type of Visa and keep it current.

Chonburi Immigration have done exactly that. They have issued an App via Android (search for 'imm-q') with an accurate checklist of requirements for each extension they issue. So both Jomtien and Si Racha now have the same checklist with no variations. It now needs all Immigration offices to do the same.

Edited by sumrit
  • Thanks 1

It would not be possible for immigration to call banks and get any info on customer accounts.

Judging by this comment and others in this thread, it seems there are many people who still think they're in Kansas (as JT said).

This is Thailand, land of corruption and 'do you know who I am?'

If you think bank employees would not provide full details of foreigner bank accounts on request by immigration police officers, (without court orders etc), then you're more naive than I thought....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

When laws are absurd people become ingenious to subvert them

Many people have different viewpoints on what's 'absurd' in the laws of a country. They consider certain laws that affect them negatively absurd, so they feel justified in breaking them. If everyone broke the laws they felt unfair the world would be in total chaos. That's why there are laws in the first place.  

22 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Jomtien told me that you will lose your visa then. 

Yes you would need to leave the country and start all over. We still don't know how bad this would be. Would they consider a person on overstay from the date the money went under? How many days before you are forced to leave, etc.?

Interesting that they are requiring you to come back and show the 800k in 90 days.

I've just been through it all. First 2 mth prior 800k then need to keep it for 90 days. I was wondering how they could check. Makes sense now. Also balance must not drop below 400k in the 12 mths.

It seems fair enough. Just means the whole thing is 800k plus living expenses at least for 5 mths but I'd take it as 800k locked away permanently leaving a buffer zone.

A hell of a lot of expats just aren't in that position...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:
On 9/6/2019 at 12:30 AM, likerdup1 said:

Beware, anyone using an agent who is counterfeiting bank letters or using a "liason" at a bank  who is making false bank letters.  Immigration will be electronically confirming banking details in the near future or calling the bank to confirm the account numbers and balances. 

How do you know that? 99% agents don't counterfeit any documents. All documents are valid. 

So are you stating that, if somebody doesn't have 800k in the bank, all they need to do is contact an agent who will provide genuine bank documents showing the original seasoned 800k PLUS genuine documents showing that money has stayed in the same account for a further three months AND 400k has remained for the remainder of the year. And FINALLY all of those geniune documents will be verified electronically by the bank if required? 

Checking bank details electronically would remove the original IO from being able to update the suspect extension details manually and the expat could be tagged as not abiding by the rules.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sumrit said:

So are you stating that, if somebody doesn't have 800k in the bank, all they need to do is contact an agent who will provide genuine bank documents showing the original seasoned 800k PLUS genuine documents showing that money has stayed in the same account for a further three months AND 400k has remained for the remainder of the year. And FINALLY all of those geniune documents will be verified electronically by the bank if required? 

Checking bank details electronically would remove the original IO from being able to update the suspect extension details manually and the expat could be tagged as not abiding by the rules.

No. The 800,000 baht is temporarily deposited in your account, and you get a genuine bank letter to the effect that it is there. The senior responsible official in the immigration office uses his discretion to waive the seasoning requirement. The 800,000 baht is promptly removed from the account. What happens after 90 days I am not sure. Most likely, immigration "forgets" to check when agent assisted extensions are involved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:
1 hour ago, sumrit said:

No. The 800,000 baht is temporarily deposited in your account, and you get a genuine bank letter to the effect that it is there. The senior responsible official in the immigration office uses his discretion to waive the seasoning requirement. The 800,000 baht is promptly removed from the account. What happens after 90 days I am not sure. Most likely, immigration "forgets" to check when agent assisted extensions are involved.

I understand how the agent fiddle system works, even down to seasoned white lie at the moment. I was suggesting that in the future, if electronically checking the accounts throughout the year with the banks own records, that could be done separately and remotely by a separate dedicated department with the 'friendly IO' not able to be involved, so the original genuine manufactured Bank documents would stand out like a sore thumb.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:52 PM, chilly07 said:

Time for the UK USA and Australian Embassies to start doing their jobs like all the others and certify income to the satisfaction of TI. If TI can do it and all other Embassies can do it so can the 3 who are avoiding their responsibilities. Time to stop this nonsense!

Agree 100% with you, but this thread is specifically about the 800k method.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:56 PM, evadgib said:

How will the banks know who they are and what obligation to they have re compliance or data protection?

Even assuming that there is, indeed, such a thing as a "data protection law" here in LOS, it strikes me as highly unlikely that its provisions would be anywhere near as rigorous as those of its Western counterparts!

The bank can confirm the contents of letter by saying yes or no, they don't have to give out any info to the IO. Conversation can go like this:

IO: Hello, this is Thai Immigration Police calling. Please go to foreigner immigration letter log book.

Bank: I have log book open.

IO: For letter serial number 987654321, issued 01SEP2019, does the letter state the sum of 854,321 baht on deposit 01SEP2019, in account holder name of John Doe from USA passport number XZ24536?

Bank: Yes

IO: Thank you, bye

I know Kasikorn Bank keeps a log book containing an entry for every immigration letter issued.

Edited by Banana7
  • Thanks 1

A post quoting a removed troll post has been removed.

Edit: and now a comment on moderation has been removed. A repeat of it will result in a formal warning.

Forum rule.

10) Do not comment on moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. This also includes posting an emoticon in response to a public notice made by a moderator. 

You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Edited by ubonjoe