Police. Immigration. Press. Why do you let them into your home?

4675636b596f75

18 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

The police cannot just search your home without a warrant, not even in Thailand

We can not tell from the picture what the alleged crime was. We don't even know if that was their home or was it a hotel.  Perhaps there was a reasonable suspicion that the person was engaged in sex with a 15 year old.  In every country there are exceptions to warrant laws.   One of the of the strange exceptions in Thailand is that if there is reason to believe that the suspect is guilty, a warrant may not be needed.  

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard this, “if you have nothing to hide” approach many times. My thinking is rather, if you have no probable cause to demand law enforcement action concerning me, then you have no reason to question me. I note that someone commented on another being a paranoid yank. Na, just one aware of ongoing citizen tracking via how many cameras in London now? What demand for computers/phone searches at random at US airports? What NSA and other government agencies doing electronic electronic sweeps of communications without probable cause and an independent court warrant? What government AI programs doing indiscriminate facial recognition? What government tracking citizen total activity and affixing a “social score? Some of you will do quite well in the totalitarian world.

13 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

This should be required viewing for everyone living in the US and should be taught in public schools, but the same principles apply to people living everywhere:

"Don't Talk to the Police"

"Regent Law Professor James Duane gives viewers startling reasons why they should always exercise their 5th Amendment rights when questioned by government officials"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

It's important to know what rights people are given in specific countries. In the US there is the 5th Amendment to the Constitution.

The next time you have a problem don't call the police - call a criminal? Is that what you're saying?

19 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What do you have to hide? If you do not have anything to hide, you can just invite them. If you refuse, they know that something is wrong and you are hiding something. 

How´s that for a cheese sandwich?

thailand is known for rent-a-cop

my ex bought, sorry, brought one with her lawyers for intimidation

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I give the police and the authorities here nothing but pushback. I cooperate on occasion, when they are being reasonable. Most times, I am not cooperative. They do not deserve my cooperation. The police here are not a law enforcement agency. They are local franchisees. So, why would I offer them hospitality? Respect has to be earned, and never, ever freely given. Do you have a reason to be at my home, other than to hassle me or shake me down? At best, I am willing to meet the franchisees at the police station, so we can get the captain involved.

The press? Never in a million years would I allow them into my home. Immigration comes to take pictures of the outside of my home on occasion, as that is sometimes required for a marriage visa. 

Wish I had done the James Bond training. Or read the book anyway. Then I could make some pretty impressive claims on TVF that nobody takes seriously - most would, and do, get a good belly laugh.

Keep up the good work.

19 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If anybody official wants see me and come to my home I invite them in, what's your problem. 

just in theory, some official enters your room and finds 1kg of an illegal substance, that he planted there. demands money or lifelong prison. 

happens not just in movies.. 

19 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What do you have to hide? If you do not have anything to hide, you can just invite them. If you refuse, they know that something is wrong and you are hiding something. 

How´s that for a cheese sandwich?

<deleted>. They can plant drugs or see what you have and tell friends who will break in. Never trust anybody. Scumbags who installed our alarm system tried to break in 6 weeks after they fitted it. But they forgot something so i woke up. Scum

3 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Types like you give themselves away at each opportunity.  I knew by not mentioning gender in my statement that some poor sod would take the opportunity to turn it into a gay relationship.  So the question to you, "just weird," is why do think it is disparaging to allude that I had a gay relationship?  Do you not like gay people?  You outed yourself for all to see.  Now we know who you are.

Hardly rocket science when your gender is displayed publicly. And I'm not even a policeman. What civil rights have I busted thister?

Types like him...….don't you see the irony?

tvf 1.PNG

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If anybody official wants see me and come to my home I invite them in, what's your problem.

I agree entirely... I wouldn't even think of not letting them in... if it is the local policeman, he used to pick me up and give me rides into town before I had a car... 

2 hours ago, helloagain said:

<deleted>. They can plant drugs or see what you have and tell friends who will break in. Never trust anybody. Scumbags who installed our alarm system tried to break in 6 weeks after they fitted it. But they forgot something so i woke up. Scum

Sure they can. It can happen anywhere. The thing, though, is that most of the people are ok. The ones that are bad have always existed everywhere in the world.

5 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Nothing to hide but I have rights and dont open the door for anyone whatever they present them self to be unless invited, and absolutely not here where we every second week can read in media about people with fake police id,. etc. 

Every second week? Can you just show me the history of that from only 2 month back in time until today. That would be 4-5 fake police in a period of 2 month, so I also can be scared of my own shadow.

5 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:
12 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"I was sleeping with a Thai Lawyer". 

How do you know what he told you was accurate when it's normal for Thaivisa posters to condemn all Thai lawyers as incompetent?

Types like you give themselves away at each opportunity.  I knew by not mentioning gender in my statement that some poor sod would take the opportunity to turn it into a gay relationship.  So the question to you, "just weird," is why do think it is disparaging to allude that I had a gay relationship?  Do you not like gay people?  You outed yourself for all to see.  Now we know who you are.

Nothing whatsoever in my comment alluded to my disparaging homosexuals, you brought that up!   It's off-topic and immaterial but, just to answer your pointless question, as a rule I prefer not to have their company.  There, happy now?

22 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If it is a fake police officer, then he will probably refuse to be refused entry. If you refuse the real police will believe you are hiding something.

I guess you have to read in to the culture and the way of thinking before commenting more nonsense.

But to know that , you first need to refuse them both so your comment also doesn't really make sense . ???? who is postimg nonsense now 

4 hours ago, Austrian26 said:

just in theory, some official enters your room and finds 1kg of an illegal substance, that he planted there. demands money or lifelong prison. 

happens not just in movies.. 

You must live in a shixxy place in Thailand to post rubbish like that.

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I agree entirely... I wouldn't even think of not letting them in... if it is the local policeman, he used to pick me up and give me rides into town before I had a car... 

Exactly don't know where some of all the paranoid freaks come from posting on this,  they must have something to hide if you ask me buddy.

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:
9 hours ago, hobz said:

Letting cops in is dangerous, they have a tendency do "find" stuff that they planted 5 seconds ago.

Ok? Wow! personal experience I assume or have you just fallen for the great group pressure on this forum that makes almost all in Thailand more bad than everything else?

Just because what is lurking in the grass is 99% crickets and grasshoppers, does not mean you should ignore the possibility of a snake. And while you may have never seen a snake, it might be wise to listen to those who have.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Exactly don't know where some of all the paranoid freaks come from posting on this,  they must have something to hide if you ask me buddy.

"About 15 minutes later, another police officer produced a bag of white powder, shook it near my face and accused me of buying it. I emphatically denied the claim. Meanwhile, other police officers began helping themselves to drinks from the bar. When the bartender protested, they kicked him in the shins. Eventually, a police officer took me outside where a Thai woman told me if I paid the equivalent of $15,200, I would be released."

For the full article, 

https://time.com/3674200/thailand-tourism-police-corruption-shakedown-extortion/

2 hours ago, lkv said:

"About 15 minutes later, another police officer produced a bag of white powder, shook it near my face and accused me of buying it. I emphatically denied the claim. Meanwhile, other police officers began helping themselves to drinks from the bar. When the bartender protested, they kicked him in the shins. Eventually, a police officer took me outside where a Thai woman told me if I paid the equivalent of $15,200, I would be released."

For the full article, 

https://time.com/3674200/thailand-tourism-police-corruption-shakedown-extortion/

Don't worry about Kwasaki, they are one of the if-it-didn't-happen-to-me-then-it-didn't-really-happen crowd. 

Corrupt police are everywhere in this world. No point in helping them do their job or let them cut corners. They should follow correct legal procedure, then and only then will you end up with better quality police. 

6 hours ago, timendres said:

Just because what is lurking in the grass is 99% crickets and grasshoppers, does not mean you should ignore the possibility of a snake. And while you may have never seen a snake, it might be wise to listen to those who have.

You are so right. The problem, though, is that you state 99% which leaves 1% left. After that you will have to take in to considerartion, the factor that most people here just speak their opinion or follow others on the negativity train and not out of experience. Let´s say that´s also as bad as 99% to 1%. 

That leaves 1% out of 1% chance. Most people would not bother about those numbers in life.

On 9/7/2019 at 4:03 AM, JimmyJ said:

"The police cannot just search your home without a warrant, not even in Thailand.

You don't have to speak with them.

You can meet with them on your own terms and certainly not in your dwelling.

You can refuse to allow press into your home. 

Do people not know this?"

No, I didn't.

I've tried to learn that though but haven't found a source.

I started a thread once asking if there is a writeup somewhere like "Know Your Rights in Thailand".

But no one responded with one, just advice giving their subjective opinions about how to deal with the police in general and personal anecdotes.

In the US, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and many others have written on "Know Your Rights" and these are available online.

Several groups recently had online postings about "Know Your Rights with ICE [Immigration]" for legal and illegal immigrants in the US.

I had no idea what the law in Thailand allows and doesn't allow.

How did you find out? Is there something written in English somewhere? It would be a valuable resource - if it exists.

There is a book called “ Thai Law for Foreigners” issued by Paiboon Publishing which I bought online here a couple of years ago

Its written in both English and Thai and provides a wealth of information including the history and development of Law in Thailand, civil and criminal law and a number of proforma documents that are useful.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:52 PM, timendres said:

And what if the person you invite in is the fake police officer (one of many) recently arrested? And if I refuse, what they know is that I am not some numpty.

The police or immigration police never send one guy. They come at least in pairs. If expecting trouble a few more. When immigration police are checking out condos for over stayers, they might knock on your door. We don't know the circumstances about the pic in OP's post.

Archived