Old habits die hard: Stores try to cut down on plastic bags, but shoppers remain stubborn

rooster59

Any ban any law any tax,plastics will prevail,is it ignorance ,is it arrogance or just plain lazyness...absolutely disgusting this disrespectful abuse.....This Nation deserves better.

Edited by mok199
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Some branches of Homepro in Bangkok have completely stopped giving out plastic bags for free. You can buy a plastic bag for 1 baht each.

I had to pay 59 baht yesterday at the Gateway Homepro for the only bag available and it was still made out of plastic.   

21 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Whilst shopping in OZ I use a backpack but many places in Asia will not allow you to take a backpack into the store. I guess the theft risk is too high.

Tops feels the need to stick paid labels on every single item then sign the paid labels, not going in there again on a no bag day. I had my own bag bought from them but still had to go through this nonsense

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Disagree. Plastic bags should be banned period. The government and private sector strategy of using fewer bags, less harmful plastics, or pay for bags is all nonsense because none of these strategies solves the problems. Why don't we cut to the chase here? If people want a bag, sell them a RECYCLED PAPER BAG. Problem solved before the year is out. We need 0 plastic bags out there, not billions. But no one has this vision.

Agreed but there needs to be a suitable waterproof alternative for bin bags coz that's often what people re-use plastic shopping bags for. That's half the solution - supply and subsequent use (demand).

3 hours ago, canopy said:

Disagree. Plastic bags should be banned period. The government and private sector strategy of using fewer bags, less harmful plastics, or pay for bags is all nonsense because none of these strategies solves the problems. Why don't we cut to the chase here? If people want a bag, sell them a RECYCLED PAPER BAG. Problem solved before the year is out. We need 0 plastic bags out there, not billions. But no one has this vision.

Plastic bags have other uses. Trash bags. Protective packaging. And so on. Can’t be replaced by paper.  

A solution is using compostible bioplastic bags. They break down into natural materials quickly when exposed to the elements. But the cost is three times as much as regular bags, around 1.5 Baht each. So retailers haven’t adopted them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farma said:

The wife's businesses have both paper and plastic bags. Most customers ride motorbikes and prefer plastic due to possible rain on their ride home.

Yeah I thought that yet the times I get caught in the rain I'll try and continue using my Friendship bag for life.

Those paper bags with handles and that are not waterproof are not very good at all.

4 hours ago, bdenner said:

Our local Tesco has tried to introduce large brown paper bags on 3 occasions I know of. Customers seem to be OK with them but the checkout staff get very frustrated trying to unfold and pack them.

Stores like Makro will not allow you to carry reusable carry bags with you into their stores so one has to go through their bullshlt method of placing items from one trolley into another as they are being checked out then repacking in the boot of the car. These effin wackers are not trying to help the situation

We take our own re-useable bags to Makro every time we shop there. You only have to leave them at the desk and pick them up just before you go through the check-out, hardly a chore.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

We take our own re-useable bags to Makro every time we shop there. You only have to leave them at the desk and pick them up just before you go through the check-out, hardly a chore.

I shop at Macro, I have never known them to issue bags or pack into your bags,  They scan items and it remains in the trolley. At some point you take the items from the trolley and put in your own bags, usually as you load it into the car. Why are you leaving bags at the desk ?

Just now, Peterw42 said:

I shop at Macro, I have never known them to issue bags or pack into your bags,  They scan items and it remains in the trolley. At some point you take the items from the trolley and put in your own bags, usually as you load it into the car. Why are you leaving bags at the desk ?

You are wrong. We leave our bags at the desk until we are ready to go through the checkout, then the checkout girl loads our groceries into our bags, with our help. There are two trollis involve, the one we have full and one in front with our own bags, which is then wheeled to our car. We don't use one bag supplied by Makro. Normally we have at least 5 or 6 big re-useable bags.

• Thanks 1