Getting out of a trap

moogradod

9 minutes ago, cmsally said:

She needs to enroll in a Kor Sor Nor tuition centre to get the M6 certificate. After that she can enroll in Thai "Open University" to get a Bachelors degree. That would get her the basic qualifications to head for better employment. It is possible to do all these while working at the same time. Many Thais do this.

This sounds very good. Hope we have such a Kor Sor Nor tuition center nearby. I will for sure investigate in this direction. Thanks for the hint !

14 minutes ago, orchis said:

she could still get high school equivalency outside school hours.

Thank you but I am not sure I understand. Do you mean she can do home study while working ? Or enroll in some institution (probably like cmsally did suggest) ?

Edited by moogradod

I know people who make a nice living after a 2 week course Facebook advertising. Of course with some background and knowledge of the language of their clients, the market the clients are in etc.

>> 1. English, 2. Microsoft Office User Training (Word, Excel and just a bit of Power Point), 3. Driving license. 4. Typing skills.

That seems like a very nice start!

9 hours ago, cmsally said:

She needs to enroll in a Kor Sor Nor tuition centre to get the M6 certificate. After that she can enroll in Thai "Open University" to get a Bachelors degree. That would get her the basic qualifications to head for better employment. It is possible to do all these while working at the same time. Many Thais do this.

sound advice, like in most countries any decent employers want to see the bit of paper that confirms the level of education achieved, and the higher the level the greater the opportunities.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cmsally said:

At least Mc Donalds, Kentucky fried chicken and 7/11 might give her a chance for 12k to 15k a month. 

7 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Everything is possible but it all depends on the girl in question. If she is focused and motivated then you’re money and efforts will be well spent. But if she is not you are wasting both time and money. 

That is the key question. Many girls here seem to lack motivation. If she lacks the drive to improve her employment prospects. You are wasting money. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

How on earth does anyone survive here on 8k a month?

I am not talking about this particular girl, but for Thais in general.

Credit cards and huge debt I think.

Families sticking together plus this is a big factor in girls sticking with dead beat bf’s, no choice. 

Pattaya is a tough place to find a decent paying job for someone even with a traditional education in my experience.

My girlfriend has a Bachelors in Business Management, speaks English well and is highly skilled with all facets of the Microsoft Suite and self motivated. 

She was on around 30K as an insurance manager at a law firm in BKK but has only been able to find work in management at a pasta wholesaler in Pattaya, 15K monthly salary for 6 days per week plus commissions (when possible)

Get her to learn how to code. It's free to learn online. After that she can pay to do the tests and get certificates. It seems intimidating at the start but there is always work to be found as a half decent coder with some certificates. Salary would at least triple and have a 5 day work week, then with freelance jobs on the side she will be able to make a decent living.

Your stepdaughter is 19. Would you consider her to be mature enough to start a modestly-funded (very little in fact) business? if she has a passion for anything, it is possible for her, with guidance from you maybe, to turn that passion into some kind of niche business, either directly from home and/or on the Internet.

Encourage her to research any ideas she may consider: The Internet is full of fantastic free help to discover "how" and "what" are the possible ways forward with a venture in just about any subject. There is plenty of rubbish and hype out there but we all have to learn how to filter it out to get at the real stuff.

Helping her to be independent, self -confident and other positive personality traits will be useful for her in anything she pursues in her life.

Let me say one thing about running any kind of business in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter. Do something that no-one else is doing or do what many people do but establish a new angle on it or simply do it better. Start small!

One idea springs to mind: her own story: She could offer help to those in a similar situation as herself, young, unwanted pregnancy, trying to look for work, what education to follow, her feelings about these very important issues that affect many thousands of young women in Thailand.

How to monetize? Again, research this.

Good luck to her and your efforts to make it happen for her

Edited by ChrisKC
additional comment
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, moogradod said:

was forced to finish highschool

I assume that you mean forced to NOT finish high school.  Anyway, 8000 bht is not that bad for Thailand.  It is much better than most factory workers get and about the same as a new Police officer.