Contract on high-speed rail project closer to being inked

webfact

Contract on high-speed rail project closer to being inked

By The Nation

800_b47da0083e63dfd.jpg?v=1568133147

File photo /credit: EEC Office

The delayed high-speed rail project is getting closer to being inked by the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) and CP Holding’s joint venture once an agreement on some key details of this public-private partnership project (PPP) have been reached. 

Warawut Mala, SRT’s acting governor, said the panel responsible for the 220-kilometre high-speed rail connecting three international airports will meet representatives of the CP Holding joint venture on Wednesday (September 11).

The two sides will discuss SRT’s handing over of land to the CP joint venture for the project’s construction. He said that after the Cabinet approved the concession in May, the two sides discussed details of the PPP project to ensure the government does not lose huge sums like it did with unfinished ventures like the Hopewell project. The two sides have agreed in principle that construction will begin as soon as SRT issues a notice to proceed. 

“The two sides will sign a contract before the bid winner can proceed with the construction,” he added. 

The notice will be issued when the SRT is ready to hand land over to the private partner in the PPP and CP Holdings agrees to proceed with the construction, he said, adding that the timeframe for completion is five years. 

Warawut said the two sides can on Wednesday also set a date for contract signing if they have no new issues to discuss. The SRT will  hand over 4,421 rai for the rail project within two years on the condition that one it can complete the expropriation of 850 rai. 

The cost of the high-speed rail project connecting Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang international airports with U-Tapao in Rayong is Bt224.5 billion. The CP venture is seeking Bt117.2 billion in state support.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30376049

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-11

Just now, dotpoom said:

What ever happened to "plain" English.

Why not just say "signed"....If the author thinks it's "cool"....they are wrong...it just looks... "silly".

My son got inked on his 18th birthday. Swears its the last tattoo he will ever get.

• Haha 2

Oh yes! Let's put Pinocchio, Merkel and Trump on the first test ride doing high speed in a Chinese low quality high speed train.

First, it's almost inked, then almost bought and finally off the table. 

The hub of almost inked contracts that never see color. 

Would I have a deathwish, I'd try one in China where reports of deadly accidents are held back that we can't see it. 

Thailand doesn't need high speed trains, they need to get the high truck drivers off the road first. 

I took the night train from Sisaket to Bangkok twice within a period of ten months. Both times, the train stopped in the middle of nowhere and it turned out that the locomotive had died.

Depending on where that happens, it can take half a day to get a replacement. If they can't even service old stuff, how could they deal with high tech equipment?

Edited by Isaanbiker

Normally I would have expected an impact study. 

But hey TIT.

Such an infrastructure project like this I read is planned to link up with China?

Helping me understand the Chinese funding loans.

I would have thought it would have been sold along the grounds of reduced pollution, significantly less vehicles on the road,

Take the car by rail etc.

But one again TIT.

ONCE these beasts get up to speed its several kilometers before they can stop.

Which means impenetrable level crossings.

Otherwise its going to be a case of, "pick the bike and rider up three kilometres up the track"

I really want to believe it will happen in my time here.

Can see the Chinese engineering population growing significantly. 

No doubt special visa waivers will be available. 

Edited by dallen52

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Oh yes! Let's put Pinocchio, Merkel and Trump on the first test ride doing high speed in a Chinese low quality high speed train.

Would I have a deathwish, I'd try one in China where reports of deadly accidents are held back that we can't see it. 

Thailand doesn't need high speed trains, they need to get the high truck drivers off the road first. 

I took the night train from Sisaket to Bangkok twice within a period of ten months. Both times, the train stopped in the middle of nowhere and it turned out that the locomotive had died.

Depending on where that happens, it can take half a day to get a replacement. If they can't even service old stuff, how could they deal with high tech equipment?

Murphy's Law on Thai trains.

"You can never tell which way the train will go by looking at the track"

5 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I'll keep President Trump how about you take a ride, certain you haven't contributed anything meaningful 

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

the two sides discussed details of the PPP project to ensure the government does not lose huge sums like it did with unfinished ventures like the Hopewell project.

In fact the CP JV had asked the government (SRT) to compensate CP JV as low successful bidder for any delays in addition to the terms of the TOR but SRT rejected such compensation (as well as ten other CP post-TOR conditions). So it might be that terms of compensation for government caused delays might be under negotiations again because of the Hopewell experience.

Such a clause would be justified.

But that would amount to amending the TOR and open the government to charges of collusion by the unsuccessful bidders who made their bids based on the terms of the original TOR, ie., higher bids made due to potential costs from government delays that would have to be absorbed!

What might give the CP JV leverage in SRT agreeing to add additional favorable terms to the TOR such as compensation for government delay? Well, one of the CP Group partners is a China state-owned enterprise that might be a lending source for CP. Prayut isn't one to reject China infrastructure loans.

23 hours ago, malibukid said:

talk is cheap, what about fixing the sidewalks and making them safe in CM?  so the contract goes to the lowest bidder?  sounds safe.

AGREED 100% !!   There's hardly an expat who I know hasn't tripped, fallen, or even had a problem with the 25cm kerbs on Chiang Mai paths/sidewalks.  At least it keeps many of the motor bikes off!

15 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

This one looks like one of the larger pig troughs ever envisoned for Thailand.

Maybe better to just let the hisos raid the treasury, maybe leave a few satang for the commoners?

Who's gonna pay 3,000 baht to go to Khorat? 

I didn't realise that they had moved Korat.

The line being discussed is for inter airport traffic, not intended for local travel. I do not know about others but I see any attempt to remove the risk of a traffic jam on the way to the airport as something positive. I live in Chonburi and we do not use DM or UT because of the traffic problems getting there.

This line would be a real bonus if I live long enough.