World-beating currency gives Thailand major economic headache

webfact

World-Beating Currency Gives Thailand Major Economic Headache

By Anuchit Nguyen

-- Baht is best performer globally against dollar over five years

-- Growth estimates cut for economy relying on trade and tourism

baht.jpg

File photo

Thailand’s effort to revive economic growth with more than $10 billion of stimulus faces an obstacle from its surging currency.

The baht has strengthened more than 6% against the dollar in 2019, the most among major Asian currencies, and its appreciation leads the world over the past five years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The climb has hurt tourism and exports, contributing to the weakest economic expansion since 2014 as the U.S.-China trade spat also hits home. The baht is seen as a safe haven and officials will be wary of intervening too much in foreign-exchange markets as the U.S. closely monitors countries’ currency policies, according to Australia & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-11/world-beating-currency-a-major-challenge-for-thailand-s-economy

-- Bloomberg 2019-09-12

• Haha 1

Ok so thailand has the best performing currency against usd. But i see lots of news about this next recession. Everyone will be draged into it supposedly. But asian markets will recover first as there not in deep like the euros and americans.

So whats the best move? Put usd to equal 800k in a bank here for a visa? Or buy property in vietnam? I am on the fence so to speak. I have ties in vietnam but prefer thailand. I know investing in thailand is a bad investment with the government driving it into the ground.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, quadperfect said:

Ok so thailand has the best performing currency against usd. But i see lots of news about this next recession. Everyone will be draged into it supposedly. But asian markets will recover first as there not in deep like the euros and americans.

So whats the best move? Put usd to equal 800k in a bank here for a visa? Or buy property in vietnam? I am on the fence so to speak. I have ties in vietnam but prefer thailand. I know investing in thailand is a bad investment with the government driving it into the ground.

"If I was a gambling man" like them industry-folks, I'd hedge my funds on Vietnam, 15Bn baht to 1Bn during 5 years in FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) should tell you that much ????‍☠️

Edited by jabis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

Yes I remember just a few short years ago being told by "knowledgeable" people to put my money into the Chinese currency - it was going to skyrocket

Actually there are hedge funds who even now recommend dumping American stocks and buy Chinese stocks in a big way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Baht is best performer globally against dollar over five years

why do they keep saying this, it's like saying I outperformed everyone by jumping without a parachute - yes I will hit the ground first suckers

"best performing" is when the currency is supporting the economy, right now it is being heavily manipulated because Thailand is allowing that to happen, just wait until they have to do something drastic to stop it - mass exit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

Weakest economic expansion since 2014 eh!

Which just happens to be the year of the Prayut Chan-o-cha coup. That tells the story in itself.

Economy was ordered to standby while Big P deals with bigger and better issues.????

3 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

due to PM Prayut appointing his ministers based on return favours instead of intelligence and job qualifications

Sounds like most government leaders around the world - it's all about doing factional deals, paybacks for past favours, buying support. You name it, politicians the world over do it. Watch the series Yes Prime Minister for a reality check

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Sounds like most government leaders around the world - it's all about doing factional deals, paybacks for past favours, buying support. You name it, politicians the world over do it. Watch the series Yes Prime Minister for a reality check

You mean like when PM Hacker appointed Sir Desmond Glazebrook as the Governor of the Bank of England.