Do you like Thai people?

Yinn

32 minutes ago, mserror said:

Yinn you should not read this forum too much.

Is 80% ok. Just some people. Can have different opinion, no problem, but I not like people lie to make racism.

32 minutes ago, mserror said:

Better to talk to us. And don't be shy if your English is poor. My Thai is poor but I want to talk with Thais.

I not shy. I talk with foreigner when I see. 

English grammar quite difficult, only way to learn “Just Do It”. Again and again and again....

i try to “think” use English.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Is 80% ok. Just some people. Can have different opinion, no problem, but I not like people lie to make racism.

That is something I fail to understand about Thai people. The majority that I have met are very racist. My wife says terrible things about Cambodians, it really upsets me as I used to have a Cambodian girlfriend and spent the best part of a year in Cambodia. I know what lovely people they are. Also say bad things about people from Myamar and India. People with black skin (Africans) will get shouted at, "Oh, dam dam" even when they can be heard.

It doesn't end with foreigners, Central Thai people say bad things about people from Issan and look down on them. Thailand is probably the most racist country I've been to.

But the thing that really puzzles me is Thai religious tolerance. I used to live next door to a Thai Christian family and they were fully accepted by everyone. I live amongst a lot of Thai Moslems, I sit in my garden in the morning and listen to the calls from 2 different Mosques near me. Even though you have problems in Southern Thailand, I see no animosity towards Thai Moslems. I come from a country that has had serious problems with Moslems and I admit that I have occasionally said negative comments about Moslems. My wife gets angry with me every time and asks me not to say bad things about Moslems. OK for her to say bad things about Cambodians though.

I've spent years trying to understand the Thai psyche regarding race and religion and have completely failed. Help!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HLover said:

I'd rather have spent years on something more productive and fulfilling but to each their own...

If you live in a country and try to make it your home, it helps to try to understand the indigenous people of that country........for some of us.

Up to you.

30 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Is your girlfriend from South Issan? Is close to Cambodia. 

I am close to Burma. We have people say bad thing also about Burma. But also Burma attack Thailand long time ago.

I have Burmese friend, I not care where from. I only care if good person or not.

Terrible behaivior low education. Impolite.

I disagree. We not have nazi, kkk, apartide, etc. we not build wall etc

Some SAY bad way, but not many DO bad way.

I also can hear the Mosque. I love the sound. I also like the Buddhist temple sound. Both make me happy.

Maybe you wife say, but she ever DO bad thing to Cambodia people?

I will try. But I not know everything. Everyone think how. Thai people not think same. Up to the person.

west people say bad thing about Burma. But also we give them the job, and when know together, we friendly. 

South issan people people say bad about Cambodia. But can be friend work together.

Maybe same football team England. You guy fight each other if different team, but join all together if play the another country, be friend together. 

I not know about England, but I see a lot of thing on TVF about Liverpool people (I think). Is not racism ( I think). Maybe same way some central talk about Issan?

city vs countryside people. 

But look when Ubon flood last month ago. Everyone thailand join together help 800+ million baht! Most the money come from central. Maybe SAY bad, but DO good.

Not everyone say bad thing, only some. I think man more than woman. Woman more friendly IMO. Not care about it much.

Big different IMO SAY racism, and DO racism.

i like everyone if polite. I have thai, Chinese Thai, Indian Thai, Issan, Burmese, moslem, Buddhist friend etc. up to the person IMO. 

Every place have good, every place have bad.

i hope help you understand. But I not really understand also. 

I like animal more than human. 

"I disagree. We not have nazi, kkk, apartide, etc. we not build wall etc

Some SAY bad way, but not many DO bad way."

OK, America excepted, the groups you mentioned are in a small minority and don't govern the country. In Thailand, the government actually does bad things to foreigners, particularly farangs. They also try to blame Burmese people for everything bad that happens.

"Is your girlfriend from South Issan? Is close to Cambodia."

She's from Nong Khai and regards herself as more Laotian than Thai. I just used her as an example, most Thais that I've met (more women than men) speak very badly of Cambodians. Surprisingly, I've found people from Surin less likely to say bad things about Cambodians and are proud of their Cambodian background.

"Terrible behaivior low education. Impolite."

Maybe so but normal in Thailand.

I have learned to live with racism in Thailand. It doesn't make me like Thai people any less. I just accept it as poor education. Not their fault. I just don't understand why Thai people have a low level of racial tolerance but a very high level of religious tolerance. Very different to Western people.

Edit: In Western cultures, saying racist remarks are seen as badly as doing racist actions. In the UK, you will be prosecuted by the police for making a racist remark to someone.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Sad 1

On 9/20/2019 at 8:43 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmmm. Animals don't have culture- they have genetic programming. 

Humans have both culture and genetic programming. Humans are the worst animals to inhabit the planet as they kill and are cruel by choice. We are also parasites as we are destroying the environment that allows us to survive.

Animals do have cultures of a sort, birds even have regional accents and anyone who has a pet knows that animals have different characters. Consider the Gorilla in a zoo helping a crow out of the water that it fell into or the one collecting a child that had fallen into its enclosure and handing it to the zoo keepers. Lions who had been hand reared and released into the wild and years later greeting their early keepers with hugs in the savannah, street dogs selflessly rescuing a fellow dog hit by a car and dragging it to safety. Animals are not mindless zombies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

That is something I fail to understand about Thai people. The majority that I have met are very racist. My wife says terrible things about Cambodians, it really upsets me as I used to have a Cambodian girlfriend and spent the best part of a year in Cambodia. I know what lovely people they are. Also say bad things about people from Myamar and India. People with black skin (Africans) will get shouted at, "Oh, dam dam" even when they can be heard.

It doesn't end with foreigners, Central Thai people say bad things about people from Issan and look down on them. Thailand is probably the most racist country I've been to.

But the thing that really puzzles me is Thai religious tolerance. I used to live next door to a Thai Christian family and they were fully accepted by everyone. I live amongst a lot of Thai Moslems, I sit in my garden in the morning and listen to the calls from 2 different Mosques near me. Even though you have problems in Southern Thailand, I see no animosity towards Thai Moslems. I come from a country that has had serious problems with Moslems and I admit that I have occasionally said negative comments about Moslems. My wife gets angry with me every time and asks me not to say bad things about Moslems. OK for her to say bad things about Cambodians though.

I've spent years trying to understand the Thai psyche regarding race and religion and have completely failed. Help!

They also blatantly talk about you in front of you thinking you don't understand. Not necessarily saying bad things, but still talking about you to someone else right in front of you as if you're not there. Just ignorance I guess. 

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Danny, this TVF is mostly “western” people. It is number 1 “western cultures” site in Thailand. 

Everyday it have racism. Probably the most for Indian. Never have the thred talk about Indian without a LOT member say bad thing. Then Chinese, Thai, Arab, Russia etc. EVERYday. 

So I disagree with you again. I have never seen a Thai website complain, criticize, mock and ridicule about foreigner same TVF. Maybe have, but is not popular like TVF.

TVF is the most racism I ever read. Sure. Really.

If you read my OP again, you can see the quotes. Is only one guy, only some his comment.

I think he from UK. So you say the police will catch him if he say that in UK?

i think it would be great if you could report all the posts to the authorities and get their IP addresses, because i think these foreigners should be kicked out of LOS.  It only breeds hatred and should not be allowed to continue.  Please post every message you don't like on facebook and bring attention to everyone.  Let everyone see these messages and maybe it will change.  I am shocked all these bad things can continue, and should be stopped.  Every message should be reported.  Police notified.  Everyone.  Good luck.  I have reported many from Facebook and it does stop these bad people.  I send their messages to everyone of their "friends" on Facebook and they get mad at me??  why, I didn't write it.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

I am lazy to do that.

if this guy I quote talk true about himself he not clever. He say he the boss big company in Thailand.

he post picture his wife on the old post. If I want I translate to thai what he said on Facebook. With the photo his wife. 

I think 3 days on Facebook will know who he is. 

Can destroy his company. And the wife not be happy about his cheating also.

His hiso friend will also know what he say about thai people.

is anyone so stupid to risky like that?

I think that it is highly unfortunate that this thread has reached a stage where some members (one very new) are threatening to expose other members on "facebook" or any other form of social media in retaliation for that poster's views.

This is,after all,a well moderated forum, and does not need to be "policed" by individual members with threats to go to the authorities as well.

To repeat my view on Thai folks-I like them very much (on the whole)-but Thailand as the country it has become-not so much.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Most Thai people are cool. I find many are kind and helpful. Alot are genuinely friendly, especially in the rural areas, or smaller towns. The rest are indifferent, which I can handle. No big deal.

It is many of the government employees, especially immigration, and the army, that I truly despise. 

• Confused 1

In general yes. If I didn't I would leave tomorrow. The corruption is growing old as is the lack of ability in the nation to move itself forward. I've entirely soured on the government and military. All the ministries aside from MFA.

I find many 50+ Thai women annoying. The kids call them 'aunties'. You know them as line cutters, the ones that can't be bothered to do x or y in public bc they believe themselves to be of a certain age and or station in life that they get to go first, have more, wait less.

Some years back I had a kid at a top high school in Bangkok do his presentations on this lot. It was an absolute riot. He even had photos of all the selfish and self serving behavior about town. I was laughing so hard I was in tears. M2 also. Too lol.

Yinn: you're not a lawyer with kids at Pathumwan and Mahidol? Maybe I know you.

Edited by Doge
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, bermondburi said:

They also blatantly talk about you in front of you thinking you don't understand. Not necessarily saying bad things, but still talking about you to someone else right in front of you as if you're not there. Just ignorance I guess. 

I don't mind being the topic of conversation, and it can be fun after a while to drop a couple of words in Thai or Khmer, see the looks on their faces. and give them a nice knowing smile ???? even though I will not follow the conversation at all.

Just like I would say to Arabs coming to Europe and do nothing but complain, why not just go back home? Of course they won't, and I suspect the expat in Thailand won't either. For the Arabs it's the welfare keeping them in the countries they hate. What might be the thing keeping the westerner that hates Thailand in Thailand? Hmm... 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 12:13 PM, bermondburi said:

I understand how that feel.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, grollies said:

Went to the local store at the crossroads this morning. Chap who did some building for us and I haven't seen for a while was there with his wife. They both gave me a really nice smile and hello. He gave me a big cuddle, slapped my stomach and called me fat. He then asked what I was buying.

Like him? 'Course I do but not because he's Thai, they are just nice people - same as all over the world, good and bad. Nonsense topic.

slow clap for you.......

Image result for in ma belly

On 10/16/2019 at 3:26 PM, possum1931 said:

Absolute rubbish. Real guests don't get treated the way the Thai government treats us, ie, if someone was a guest in your house, would you tell them they must report to you every so often? Come on now.

To the contrary, when I stay in someone's house I keep them informed regarding my movements and departure date. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Staying in a persons house is quite different to staying in a Country

Yes indeed. But the analogy was not mine. 

What part of that do you have trouble understanding?

My response pointed out how flawed the analogy was, albeit apperently with a little too much subtlety for your comprehension. 

Edited by metempsychotic