Tourism ministry: World economy to blame for Thailand's tourism woes

webfact

4 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

It's always someone else's fault!

It's not the dirt, the violence, the traffic- deaths, the xenophobia or racism, the misogyny, the pollution, the non-sensical laws for smoking and beach chairs, the corrupt police, the overall unfriendlyness of the immigration at the 30% occupied airport- counters....

It's us - the rest of the world...

Hear, hear

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

It's always someone else's fault!

It's not the dirt, the violence, the traffic- deaths, the xenophobia or racism, the misogyny, the pollution, the non-sensical laws for smoking and beach chairs, the corrupt police, the overall unfriendlyness of the immigration at the 30% occupied airport- counters....

It's us - the rest of the world...

Yes yes yes

1 hour ago, johng said:

I think it was introduced way before his time..though yes it made a come back during his time...then was slowly but eventually (mostly)  ignored until "the democratic soldier"  seized power.

You mean the "protect the elite, those in office, the army, the police  and those who are well connected", and ignore all the other woes facing the nation guy?

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I was in BKK doing business the other day. 

By 3pm we were ready for a drink and a bite to eat

Went into 5 different restaurants and there was no alcohol for sale.

We ended up walking for 10 mins to the beer exchange where it was serving freely and openly.

Reassuringly expensive 300 baht a pint I hasten to add!!

What on earth is wrong with this place! 

The clients I was with found it hard to believe.

And yeh I know about this stupid law and why it was brought in.

300 bath!!!! This is unacceptable and national crisis!!! Where is my beer prices down banner? 

2 hours ago, dluek said:

I still don't see how they qualify nearly 40 million tourist arrivals this year as "tourism woes." Only 10 years ago, Thailand drew less than 15 million per year. The situation is already unsustainable at a lot of destinations, especially small islands. What they should be debating is whether millions more coming every year is even a good thing.  

Never heard about capitalism and greed? Works same way everywhere ????. Somewhere it's just more visible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Wicket said:

It's to stop kids buying booze after school! Thaksin introduced it.

The thing is the places where kids buy from is the Mom and Pop stores who sell 24/7!!

You couldn't make this <deleted> up.

A lot of these blanket,knee jerk policies that are utterly useless

You can't buy alcohol on a train either

Why? 

Because a drug crazed employee of Thai railways, an employee not a customer raped and killed a young girl and threw her out of the window near Hua Hin.

Rather than scrutinize their own recruitment policies they decided that there was to be no more booze on ANY trains. Mind boggling, incompetent and down right laziness

Okay...BUT...how about banning alcohol sales after midnight?

Also part of that stupid law and hardly aimed at child- protection...one might hope!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phungo said:
2 hours ago, Saint Nick said:
You know?
Pray tell!
Seriously!
I am here for 12 years now and I still have no actual clue, why this law exists!

what is the law you guys are referring to?

The selling hours of alcohol in Supermarkets or Convenience stores!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I was in BKK doing business the other day. 

By 3pm we were ready for a drink and a bite to eat

Went into 5 different restaurants and there was no alcohol for sale.

We ended up walking for 10 mins to the beer exchange where it was serving freely and openly.

Reassuringly expensive 300 baht a pint I hasten to add!!

What on earth is wrong with this place! 

The clients I was with found it hard to believe.

And yeh I know about this stupid law and why it was brought in.

Stupid law, do you mean the hours that they won't serve alcohol? I thought this was only if you wanted to buy it at the store, not a restaurant or a bar. Am I wrong? And why was it brought in?

Meanwhile in Vietnam... International visitors to Viet Nam in August estimated 1,512,447 arrivals, increase 14.9% over last month and up 14.3% over the same period last year. Total international arrivals in 8 months reached 11,309,232 arrivals, increasing 8.7% over the same period last year.

• Like 2