Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

2 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

I don't care about the word, but it certainly isn't a polite way to refer to someone and is obviously stemmed by Thailand's lack of cultural diversity and awareness. 

I hate using this term 'in the western world', however it would be pretty rude and narrow minded to have a widely used phrase that targets anyone, that for example, wasn't white. 

"What's in a name, that which we call a rose..." etc

3 minutes ago, transam said:

I knew it wouldn't be long......????

As I said, I don't like using the phrase, but in reality grouping anyone who is not from your own country into the same common phrase isn't really the politically correct thing do nowadays.

However, I couldn't care less when a Thai person refers to me as one. 

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Just judging the tone of some comments, I can see this thread will soon degenerate into a:

"I know more about Thai people than you" scrum.

When the social habits of the tiger enter the discussion we will know we have hit the bottom....again ????

2 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

As I said, I don't like using the phrase, but in reality grouping anyone who is not from your own country into the same common phrase isn't really the politically correct thing do nowadays.

However, I couldn't care less when a Thai person refers to me as one. 

I am referred to as a Brit, yet I am English, not Scots, Welsh, Indian or anything else, but I do not go around shouting about it...

17 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

I don't care about the word, but it certainly isn't a polite way to refer to someone and is obviously stemmed by Thailand's lack of cultural diversity and awareness. 

I hate using this term 'in the western world', however it would be pretty rude and narrow minded to have a widely used phrase that targets anyone, that for example, wasn't white. 

In the USA, we use terms like Hispanic, Asians, white people, black people, etc., all the time.  So I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. 

• Like 2