How can Thailand possibly ever make it? Another import saga:

heiri007

5 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Another import saga:

Good price, ordered some skin cream in Europe, three altogether, 1,000 baht.

Fast delivery until Bangkok arrival, then the nightmare startet - again, as always when you're at the mercy of a big global delivery company.

Skin cream? They asked for my original passport plus handling fee. Because that's FDA regulation. 

I said no. I kept on saying no and argued with them.

After four days customs procedures and countless forms and and they wanted to charge some 1,400 baht for fees and tax and altogether.

I said no.

Then they said, "How much do you want to pay?"

I said, "Pleased to pay the tax!"

So be it, paid nearly 500 baht and got the merchandise delivered, no further questions asked.

If by a "big, global, delivery company you mean DHL, UPS, or FedEx, that was delivering to your door, then I suggest that your story is not strictly accurate. 

These companies operate on behalf of the Customs Dept and are authorized to collect import duties at the correct rate, plus their own charge, they do not negotiate the duty in the manner you have suggested, they cannot.  The duty is also based on the value of the items, that is not necessarily the price that you may have paid.  The duty charged can be disputed, however, in which case you would have had to negotiate with the Customs Dept, not the courier company. 

They also always provide a receipt showing a breakdown of the details of the charges that are made.  Can you post your receipt showing this?

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

Think Globally, Buy Locally. 

Why do you need to add all the CO2 into our atmosphere to get some "skin cream" transported all the way to Thailand from another country?

Wash your face, exfoliate a couple times a week, get some local skin lotion.  Done deal

Soon we will be reporting people like you to Great Thunberg so she can chastise you publically  hahaha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Think Globally, Buy Locally. 

Why do you need to add all the CO2 into our atmosphere to get some "skin cream" transported all the way to Thailand from another country?

Wash your face, exfoliate a couple times a week, get some local skin lotion.  Done deal

Soon we will be reporting people like you to Great Thunberg so she can chastise you publically  hahaha

Holy Glaciers, Gaia, what an enviro crime! Just another example of why the bourgeoise must be eradicated. Global internet shopping.  Eat local cheddar!

15 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

I had one of the companies that you name try to extort me for an amount 5 times the value of the goods I wanted to import.

I had discussions with them by phone and email for more than 2 weeks, and they said they would have to destroy the goods if i didn't pay.

At the end I send them an email in which I literally told them to put the goods where the sun doesn't shine, as they were no use for me anymore.

I didn't hear back from them for about 1 month, until their delivery guy rang my door bell and delivered the items at no charge at all.

Sorry, I don't believe the last paragraph, neither do I believe your claim of a 500% duty charge.  There is no rational reason for one of those three reputable courier companies to do that as they have to provide a detailed receipt to the customer.  Of course, if your estimation of the value is hugely less than the actual value, that could account for the charge but in those circumstances the customer can appeal to Customs for a re-assessment.

Courier companies collect on behalf of the Customs dept, with a small charge they are authorised to make for providing that service.  They don't set the duty rate, there are no items that attract 500% import duty and neither do they have the authority to cancel import duty so there is no reason for them to deliver to you duty free.

Why not post a copy of the receipt from the courier here?  If I'm wrong I'll apolgise.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

If by a "big, global, delivery company you mean DHL, UPS, or FedEx, that was delivering to your door, then I suggest that your story is not strictly accurate. 

These companies operate on behalf of the Customs Dept and are authorized to collect import duties at the correct rate, plus their own charge, they do not negotiate the duty in the manner you have suggested, they cannot.  The duty is also based on the value of the items, that is not necessarily the price that you may have paid.  The duty charged can be disputed, however, in which case you would have had to negotiate with the Customs Dept, not the courier company. 

They also always provide a receipt showing a breakdown of the details of the charges that are made.  Can you post your receipt showing this?

My story is very accurate. One of these biggies "swallowed" the excessive costs. You must understand I don't want to post the whole package of papers I got delivered...

These big global delivery companies create much business for themselves and by themselves, often under the radar of customs, or under the pretext of customs. Customs seems mostly not even involved, yet these big names activate all possible means to earn additional income. 

No problem ever with EMS or normal postal services. Also, shipments from China and the region don't seem to be hassled. It's the big names that extort even such small shipments.

IMG_8553.jpg

Edited by heiri007
Photo

5 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

My story is very accurate. One of these biggies "swallowed" the excessive costs. You must understand I don't want to post the whole package of papers I got delivered...

Why must I understand that if what you say is true you don't want to post just the receipt confirming it?  You can redact your name and address and show the amounts you claim, surely?

30 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why must I understand that if what you say is true you don't want to post just the receipt confirming it?  You can redact your name and address and show the amounts you claim, surely?

Because why would I waste time making up a story making the place look "bad"? If you're accusing me to be a liar, so be it. Hope this thread serves others as a warning - or at least to be prepared when delivery companies confront them with excessive charges made out of the blue. It's an extortion system, happened to me again and again, that's why from now on no orders whatsoever anymore that are shipped by one of these big names. EMS and postal services or Asian couriers, no problems.

16 hours ago, ThePioneer said:

I had one of the companies that you name try to extort me for an amount 5 times the value of the goods I wanted to import.

I had discussions with them by phone and email for more than 2 weeks, and they said they would have to destroy the goods if i didn't pay.

At the end I send them an email in which I literally told them to put the goods where the sun doesn't shine, as they were no use for me anymore.

I didn't hear back from them for about 1 month, until their delivery guy rang my door bell and delivered the items at no charge at all.

Well done! 

Also told them, well in this case, if charges are so excessive, I'd like to return the shipment to the sender. That's when they started becoming cooperative... 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I have no dog in this fight - my interest in purely academic. But I don't understand why you think the OP is lying, especially as his posts seem quite sincere to me. From the way you have replied I think you have a close connection to one of these shipping companies and therefore feel defensive. You are obviously right in what you say, but you're not taking into account the very likely situation of individual staff doing the rip-off as an extracurricular activity. "Trying it on" in other words, which is standard procedure in Thailand. There have been numerous threads on TV about this over the years.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I have no dog in this fight - my interest in purely academic. But I don't understand why you think the OP is lying, especially as his posts seem quite sincere to me. From the way you have replied I think you have a close connection to one of these shipping companies and therefore feel defensive. You are obviously right in what you say, but you're not taking into account the very likely situation of individual staff doing the rip-off as an extracurricular activity. "Trying it on" in other words, which is standard procedure in Thailand. There have been numerous threads on TV about this over the years.

• Like 1

I had the same issue with some medicinal herbal mushrooms from China.  Shipped via DHL, customs held it up and said not FDA approved ( even though it is) and back and forth for 2 weeks before I was told customs will destroy the mushrooms, even though all the documentation was correct.  They said one paper was missing from the myriad of paperwork that was supplied and they had no way to know for sure if what was on the packing list was the same as the actual product.  DHL was no help.

Edited by steelepulse
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 11:13 AM, heiri007 said:

Fast delivery until Bangkok arrival, then the nightmare startet - again, as always when you're at the mercy of a big global delivery company.

You have this one experience and they your conclusion is:

On 9/25/2019 at 11:13 AM, heiri007 said:

Thailand's not moving. Oh yes, they're moving, backwards, at increasing speeds.

Maybe "Thailand" is not the problem but that one person who does not understand that one personal experience does not show that a whole country is moving backwards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You have this one experience and they your conclusion is:

Maybe "Thailand" is not the problem but that one person who does not understand that one personal experience does not show that a whole country is moving backwards.

It's not based on a single experience. It's a coherent experience, each time when having to use their "services".

Seems you never have issues when you get something ordered from abroad?

Don't get me started about other issues, oh yes I am pretty sure by now after the yearly work permit renewal that I have no syphilis and no elephantiasis... I'd would become a long list, not even mentioning the TM30 hassles. Ask any hotelier...

Edited by heiri007

friend's mother from the uk sends her regular care packages of essentially useless stuff, tea towels, little bits of tat, cat treats etc.

despite being told not to use a major courier but send by ems, mom persisted until my friend got tired of paying up to 3k to have packages released. Packages worth considerably less than the levied taxes.

the last one went unclaimed and was destroyed over refusal to pay duty.

the older mother is still smarting over the destruction, in her own bloody minded way she cannot understand the unwillingness of my friend to pay through the nose for <deleted> she doesn't need.

At the same time the old woman couldn't be assed to take the little extra effort to use ems rather than courier services.

all very amusing to watch.

Edited by metempsychotic
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

I ordered some items value 1300 baht from iHerb on 17th Sept selecting the cheapest 'local post' option and they arrived today 26th. About the 10th order of mine from Iherb and each one has arrived with no duty and within time.

Well done iHerb

Ordering from iHerb since some time, always fast delivery and never any import hassles! Agree, well done iHerb!

• Like 1