Thailand ‘on path to democracy’, says acting US envoy

snoop1130

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Shows he knows NOTHING about Thailand

Exactly.  Seems he needed a lesson in Thai vocab before making that speech.  For example a "crackdown" means everybody sounds serious but all is forgotten after a week ie wearing helmets,

"enforcing" means the law has been written but months of thought needs to be done about the pros and cons of the decision before the new law is shelved ie riding in the back of pick-ups or the OA health insurance requirement,

"Investigating" means endless committee meetings, lunches, pretties, big talk, dividing of the cake and at least two or three years duration before a vague outcome is produced.

"moving forward"  means all of the above but drawn out over several decades or till the trough is bare.

"Democracy"  means doing as you are told and being without any say at all in what your government deems is "best for the people".

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, olfu said:

Yes, Thailand is a democracy and so is any country who like empty talking like USA, North Korea, Vietnam etc.

And before anything I recommend research democracy as it originated in Greece.

The PM certainly isn't a general with the democratic stature, statesmanship and philanthropy of Pericles. The gulf between the two is infinite.

22 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Being politically correct to keep a USA foot in the Thailand door against the Chinese big foot taking up all the space. And in reality no one can say anything about the end results of the election even if they don't add up to be white as the driven snow. 

If this is what is going on, it's a mistake. The US should be taking the initiative and playing Vietnam off against Thailand. Let the Thais get China. Then the US will simply move everything, diplomatically, politically, and economically to Vietnam. Might even include a bilateral free trade deal with Vietnam that simultaneously erects US tariffs on Thailand that correspond to Thai tariffs on US goods.

15 minutes ago, zydeco said:

If this is what is going on, it's a mistake. The US should be taking the initiative and playing Vietnam off against Thailand. Let the Thais get China. Then the US will simply move everything, diplomatically, politically, and economically to Vietnam. Might even include a bilateral free trade deal with Vietnam that simultaneously erects US tariffs on Thailand that correspond to Thai tariffs on US goods.

I fully disagree with you. It is like a manipulative chess game and China is on everyone's ankles even VN. And of course that is what is going on. And of course as usual Thailand is trying to play both sides like the Victor Victoria scene.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

No, none of the diplomatic corps or Thai people.

Just the wise enlightened TVF posters who are all knowing! 

Think you have been around long enough to read between the lines of my comment even if it was only one line ????

On 9/26/2019 at 6:43 AM, Artisi said:

"On the path to democracy", must be the reason for Donald's visit - to show napoleon how it's done. 

I don't know, I can get a decent lunch at BKK for under $2. I can't get a water for under $3 at any American airport. US has a $ Trillion a year budget deficit while Thailand has a surplus. The leader of the US is a liar a thief and a whore. Now tell me again why the US has a better government than Thailand?

• Thanks 1

This guy works at the US Embassy in LOS......really!  The facts are pretty obvious to most people that this is anything but a democracy and may not be a democracy for a long long time.  But we aren't wearing ankle bracelets yet,  so things aren't as bad as they could be.

• Like 2

Been on the road to democracy for 87 years, including about 30 years under military government in one form or another, and many more under quasi-military control. Periods of nominally democratic administration have been few and far between, and usually brief. The road has been long, bumpy and winding, with no end in sight any time soon.

Edited by Aj Mick
fix typo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A long and winding road indeed. If that's really true (color me skeptical) do you think a Thai baby born today will ever see it?

The past couple of decades have seen some faltering turns toward democracy, and some emphatic turns in the other direction. It is possible that a baby born today could see a truely democratic Thailand in his or her lifetime, but recent turns make it seem unlikely. There may be a few signs of democracy in the passing landscape, but a rather different beast has been responsible for what is seen in the foreground.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 11:16 AM, Jrbamc said:

US has a $ Trillion a year budget deficit while Thailand has a surplus. The leader of the US is a liar a thief and a whore. Now tell me again why the US has a better government than Thailand?

The U.S. has a better system of government that Thailand, with a Constitution that has endured pretty much intact for a couple hundred years and generally served the country well, and the fundamental notion of co-equal branches of government providing checks and balances on the other -- the president, the Congress and the courts, along with a "free" press.

Unfortunately at present, that system is being abused, corrupted and mangled by someone who has utterly no respect, understanding or appreciation for the notion of co-equal branches of government, and the Constitution's notions of checks and balances. For him, it's all about the Imperial Presidency and ego gratification and self-enrichment.  Let the peasant American people eat cake!!!