Retirement Visa - need to show funds from abroad ?

My parents will come to visit me in CM. They will arrive initially on the 30day permission to stay. They are UK and Malaysian passport holders. They plan to retire here, and after arrival will quickly open up Thai bank accounts to deposit the XXbht needed to show proof of funds for a retirement visa. They have already transferred these funds from the UK to myself (so the funds are now in a Thai account in my name). If I transfer these funds back to their newly opened Thai bank accounts - will this suffice for the retirement visa application? Will we need to show proof that the funds were originally from the UK? Also, are there any other important docs that need to be shown? Will they need to show proof of medical insurance? Thanks... 

mja1906,

Best to ask Ubonjoe for specifics for husband & wife, if they need 800k each in separate bank accounts and if the money needs to come from abroad.

1. xfer 800k into Thai bank account (may need to come from abroad)

2. apply for 90-day Non-O visa based on 800k in bank with at least 15 days remaining on your 30-day stay

3. after 2 mths of seasoning (30 days left on 90-day Non-O), go back and apply for 12 mth extension based on retirement with 800k in bank

* no medical insurance required at this time

Tried to keep it short...

Edited by BertM

They will need to show the funds came from overseas. I would ask an IO if its acceptable at the funds were transferred to you then to them internally. Possibly okay sort of comes down to who you're dealing with but check.

It is possible it go from TV to retirement Visa in Thailand. Just done it.

You can actually fly on 30 days exempt. Set up bank account, transfer whatever currency in, extend Visa 30 days, then go Savannakhet get 60 days (must shows funds for retirement), then change to retirement visa at local office. Give yourself enough time for Visa transfer though.

Wouldn't like my chances at CW though

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

For the initial Non O at Immigration they would need to show the money has come from abroad.

After that there is no need.

Yes, that is the important difference. So they need to obtain Non-Imm-O Visas outside of Thailand. 

From the Royal Thai embassy website in London the non 'O' visa options:

"O"   To visit family or friends in Thailand, voluntary job, retirement, medical treatment, to attend judicial process, to work as diplomat's housekeeper

If your father is in receipt of a UK state pension he/they can get a 90 'non O' Visa in London with proof of that pension then, when the required funds have been transferred into his own bank account, just apply for an extension based on retirement.

If not in receipt of a UK state pension it's possible he/they could apply for a non 'O' visa to visit family but, with all the recent changes, I'm not sure what the exact rules are now.

Edited by sumrit

4 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

If planning to use the 800,000 bank method,  JOMTIEN IMMIGRATION I went down and ask and explained was told "  just need to see the amount in the bank "  don't  have to show FTT?  from abroad.  Whatever your location best to go down and ask at the particular window.

To extend an existing Non-Imm-O permission of stay, that is correct. A person converting a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt entry, to that of a Non-Imm-O at immigration,  needs to show it to have come from outside Thailand. 

Edited by jacko45k

10 hours ago, BertM said:

Best to ask Ubonjoe for specifics for husband & wife, if they need 800k each in separate bank accounts and if the money needs to come from abroad.

No need for both of them to show the 800k baht in the bank. The other one can apply for a one year extension based upon being the spouse of the one that gets the extension based upon retirement.

But the one getting the extension as a spouse will have have a single entry non-o visa from a embassy or consulate to apply for the extension. Immigration will not issue a non immigrant visa for that reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.... it seems I should check at CM immigration if they'll need to show proof of funds from abroad, as they won't have time to apply for visa from Thai London embassy. I think its better for them to have their own visas, rather than a spouse being dependent on on the other. As what happens if something happens to the main visa holder, then they are both screwed (?). Money is not an issue, its just figuring out how to do it. 

On 9/27/2019 at 8:00 AM, thailand49 said:

If planning to use the 800,000 bank method,  JOMTIEN IMMIGRATION I went down and ask and explained was told "  just need to see the amount in the bank "  don't  have to show FTT?  from abroad.  Whatever your location best to go down and ask at the particular window.

Next day they say something else.... depending on if had their morning coffee or not...

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, mja1906 said:

Thanks.... it seems I should check at CM immigration if they'll need to show proof of funds from abroad, as they won't have time to apply for visa from Thai London embassy. I think its better for them to have their own visas, rather than a spouse being dependent on on the other. As what happens if something happens to the main visa holder, then they are both screwed (?). Money is not an issue, its just figuring out how to do it. 

They need a Non Imm O Visa, to apply for annual extensions (permits, not Visas).