Govt to probe Thanathorn’s hiring of US lobbyists

rooster59

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

they claim their government it's a democracy, if that's the case they shouldn't condemn any moves, travels, comments, declarations by the opposition, that's what democracy is about, free speech

Unfortunately their idea of democracy is just a vote. They think once someone is voted in that that’s it. You can go back to doing whatever you like cos you were voted in. Democracy basically means vote in Thai. 

Being a native-English speaker who learnt how to speak Thai to a good level; it made me appreciate more how the English language is about effectively communicating and conveying nuanced ideas. Words have so much meaning. Learning Thai taught me how words can often have so little meaning. No one is ever gonna call you out and say, “What are you talking about? You’re making no sense at all”. Language most definitely is culture. 

• Like 1

Agree, and sometimes I suspect the answer given has no meaning or clarity and it's deliberate and the listener is expected to accept that the comment / response makes no sense. In fact a deliberate way to not answer.

And I've noted that when the no meaning / no clear message comes from a much higher status person the lower status re absolute to response with chai krup / kar, basically acceptance.

The worst example I've ever witnessed is an advertised education seminar, about 20 years ago, purported to introduce new teaching methodologies, and the seminar would be in English, from memory 3,500Baht fee each attendee. I attended with several colleagues because we were looking for aligned consulting opportunities. 

A day before the seminar all registered people got an e-mail to say the seminar would be in total Thai language but an English translation would be available 3 weeks later for a fee, I forget the cost.

The seminar started about 1.5 hours late and with a different speaker and it was announced that questions would not be allowed. About 300 attendees.

It started and it soon became apparent that the presenter was reading from a list and the content was just numbers: e.g. 'In 1990 xxx school had xx chairs but in 1992 they had xxx+3% chairs, and this went on, just numbers about furniture etc., no data whatever about exam results or anything of real meaning.

At the coffee break several Thai attendees approached the lady who introduced the speaker and asked her whether the rest of the day would be numbers about furniture etc? Her response, 'yes more important data about furniture etc. isn't it just wonderful'.

The word spread quickly along with comments like 'well maybe yesterday the speaker was sick'.

We departed immediately, and we learned later that 99% of the attendees Thai and non-Thai also departed. The seminar finished about 15 minutes after resumption from the morning coffee break, along with excuses from the presenter about 'too busy'.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the government will probe the leader of Future Forward Party Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit for hiring American lobbyists

So Prawit claims Thailand's image will be hurt by a Thai politician who hires an American firm to provide consulting services during his visit IN AMERICA? Please be sure to mention this to POTUS Trump and the U.S. State Department when he visits Prayut. And frankly, reading the APCO web site under the company's description the word "lobbyist" does not appear. https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/517010Z:US

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

to allegedly discredit the Thai government through political activities.

Says the Army General who discredited an elected Thai government by forceful armed overthrow, install an unelected Army General as PM and acted as DPM under the following junta regime.

• Like 1

Another attempt at shutting down a dissenting political party because they're threatened by them.

They didn't break a law and it didn't damage national security but "Made the country look bad"  Really!?  What percentage of foreigners outside of Thailand even knew about this?  Hell, what percentage of Thai people even knew about this.  Complete garbage and corruption.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, legend49 said:

Seeing that photo reminded me its lunch time, must make a HAM sandwich.

Hi ha, That guys image has put me off the flesh of the swine for life.

Pigs are taking a class action on him causing misunderstanding and spoiling the image of their species.

13 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Hopefully he brings back good ideas and others listen so the 

country can grow...

He already has many good ideas, check his personal history and the comments / speeches he' given in the past, he's well aware of what needs to change in regard to equality nd a lot more and

he's said so and he can discuss in depth.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

As long as the probe into Thanatorn's alleged involvement is as thorough as the probe into Prawit's watches, Thanatorn's got nothing to fear.

That's what does worry me, make whatever decision suits you, forget the truth and the law.

22 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Just amazing how these military lugheads really want to destroy this guy at any cost, even if by manufacturing some sort of national interest or national security or losing face thing. Appalling.

Running scared.

It's what scared (read paranoid) people do.

Run little traitors, run, run, run...

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 8:58 AM, neeray said:

Stryker vehicles, submarines, warship and now attack helicopters !

Go figure. I rest my case.

And who have they in mind to use them against. A wast of tourists money that has been  contributed  to Thai Foreign reserve account.

On 9/28/2019 at 3:53 PM, maddox41 said:

He is a thorn in their sides. 

But its OK for the Rooster to rig the election, lie about the vote count!! pay of the villages  control the senate with his brother in law his sister and all his Army groonies but a young man that wants change  has to stopped. 

Loved how the Rooster said a high income for all thai in 17 yrs.  Aha he means the 1% of the 1% 

The blatant lies just keep coming.. 

And Mr watch he can't even walk and I wonder which friend let him a watch for his big trip to th USA..  

I think that you re referring to Mr Tick Tock.

6 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Running scared.

It's what scared (read paranoid) people do.

Run little traitors, run, run, run...

Yes, but I seriously believe it won't be long before this charade of a govt (both house) will collapse in a serious mess. 

But it does also worry me that if something like this happened then the gung ho / rambo army chief might try to take over.

And, unfortunately, he does have power. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Every day I'm starting to like Thanathorn better. He leans to the west and is the only hope for farangs. Thailand would likely become quite a lovely place to be in if he got into power.

And is the only hope for Thais and Thailand.

There, fixed it for ya.

Felangs should not even be entered into the equation of what is better for this country.

Its like saying so and so in the UK is the only hope for Latvians and Lithuanians...

59 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

And is the only hope for Thais and Thailand.

There, fixed it for ya.

Felangs should not even be entered into the equation of what is better for this country.

Its like saying so and so in the UK is the only hope for Latvians and Lithuanians...

Not quite, there's plenty of farang who live here, including farang from all walks of life, possibly will die here because it's HOME but much more to the point, they have kids and grandkids born here (me) and they want Thailand to make progress towards a better, more equitable, better educated country etc., etc., for the sake of their kids and grandkids, nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 1