Should I worry about being denied into Thailand?

Maybe I read too many horror stories but should I be worried about being denied entry at BKK?

US, Male, 28, solo traveler, white skin >_>

I do not and have not tried living in Thailand long term so I have only been in Thailand on 30Day Visa Exempt stamps to have fun.

My history in Thailand (month/year)

1 week 7/17

1 week 8/17

2 weeks 1/18

1 week 11/18

3 weeks 7/19

2 weeks 9/19

I plan on going again in early November but am scared I will be denied entry for no valid reason.  I always have at least 1k USD cash and a round trip ticket out of Thailand.

If I am denied, will I be sent back to the US or where I had my layover before entering Thailand?  I would rather be sent to Taiwan than the US so I can just head out to PH.

Dont worry about lots of people are giving Thailand a miss over this visa nonsense and they scammed my mate for 4000 Baht the other week, saying he didn't have the right visa and not let him in.

He was due to stay another month and half but he's leaving next week and never coming back

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Your chances of denial are low, however if you are worried why not do a short layover in Taiwan. That way if sent out it would be to Taiwan. I assume you are traveling EVA. Last year my daughter and family traveled via EVA SFO to Taiwan to CNX. They didn't need to go to BKK.

Yea I take EVA from SFO to BKK that has a 4 hr layover in TPE.  I was wondering if they send back to origin rather than to where I had a layover where I stayed airside.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, no problem with your history.

Have money on. Hotel booking wouldn't hurt. 

I always have a hotel booking before I arrive.

14 minutes ago, Caldera said:

For me, getting these questions here indicates that their overzealous enforcement and unprofessional conduct causes collateral damage by worrying even those who need not be worried - some of them will just stay away.

They clearly don't understand how the internet and social media works.

OP I would not be too worried. I have made six VE entries since April without so much as a raised eyebrow from the IO. Each time stayed led than 30 days. Always prepared though with return flight, 20k and hotel booking.

• Like 2

Why don't you stay a few nights in Philippines and just fly in from Philippines to Thailand?

If they do send you back, it will be Philippines instead of USA.

Yes, immigration is getting tougher for people on tourist visas or non-visas nowadays.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You should not have a problem with your history since it evident you're not trying to live here on visa exempt entries.

Having the cash to show and a ticket out will help if you are questioned.

Are there any recent reports of anyone being questioned, showing 'the cash' and then being let through? It seems not to be a factor these days at the airports. If they want to deny you entry they will do so regardless of any cash you show them.

Edited by edwardandtubs

28 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

He's got quite a list of entries too though no?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

The number of entries (by air) aren't the issue. It’s the time spent in the country and gap between entries that IO’s look for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

If I am denied, will I be sent back to the US or where I had my layover before entering Thailand?  I would rather be sent to Taiwan than the US so I can just head out to PH.

I don’t think you will have any problem entering as you’re clearly not trying to live in the country.

If denied entry the default is to send you back to where you flew from by the airline that carried you. It is possible to fly elsewhere, but that decision is down to immigration and the airline at the time, and can be declined.

39 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Are there any recent reports of anyone being questioned, showing 'the cash' and then being let through?

Only if you're willing to "share" some of that cash with them, based on recent reports. Now, I don't know how widespread that is and certainly wouldn't rely on it just flying in unprepared, but apparently that got some people in while others refused similar offers.

• Confused 1

Been there much more than that (6++ in/outs per year) and have never had an issue. Most stays are 2 weeks or less with gaps of 2-8 or more weeks.

Full disclosure: I enter using the diplomatic queue with an APEC ID and I don't know if that matters or not. My entries are unofficial, so it shouldn't, but who knows?

Edited by moto77
  • Thanks 1

If you are really really worried, avoid arriving at DMK and BKK airports.  If you must frequent Thailand, look at getting a long term Vietnam Visa .  If you get refused, just go to Saigon for an equally good time. 

Cannot see where you could possibly have trouble given your travel history, but you correct to be alert.  

You should not have a problem with yourhistory since it evident you're not tryingto live here on visa exempt entries.”

yes, it makes sense.

But there is absolutely no guarantee. It is all depends on the IO, on duty supervisor and of course some other known/unknown factors. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 4:32 AM, elviajero said:

The number of entries (by air) aren't the issue. It’s the time spent in the country and gap between entries that IO’s look for.

I am planning 3 SETV entries commencing January 2020 and possibly the year after, each one issued in London. Staying approximately 7 weeks on each SETV and back to the UK for 10 or 11 weeks (I work in the UK). I have been coming and going from Thailand since 2005 as a tourist and so far, no issue. Have 3 or 4 Thai SETVs in my passport thus far London. 

Any view on whether I'm likely to run into trouble with this strategy? I fly into BKK with Eva Air. Engaged to a Thai (she has been here twice on vacation) but no marriage envisaged in near term so no marriage visa option. 

Edited by MarkyM3

On 9/29/2019 at 4:43 AM, mngmn said:

I have made six VE entries since April without so much as a raised eyebrow from the IO. Each time stayed less than 30 days.

How many days are "less than 30 days"? 5 days? 29 days? That can make a huge difference I guess.

I have been coming to Thailand on visa exempts (never used any visa) 6 times this year 2019 and stayed 14-19 days per visit. No issues. Last year I had 8 stamps staying in total 122 days in Thailand, in 2017 I had 7 stamps and always stayed around 2 weeks....never had any issue. Always fly in via Suvarnabhumi airport.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:38 AM, yellowboat said:

If you are really really worried, avoid arriving at DMK and BKK airports.  If you must frequent Thailand, look at getting a long term Vietnam Visa .  If you get refused, just go to Saigon for an equally good time. 

Cannot see where you could possibly have trouble given your travel history, but you correct to be alert.  

that is my plan b.  get a 1 year visa for vietnam.  maintain it year around.  if you have problems in thailand, no hassle to go to vietnam.  round trip ticket bkk to saigon is around 100 to 200 dollars.  cambodia, malaysia, all the same.  airfare is cheap.  skyscanner.net.

• 4 weeks later...

I arrived today and got my visa exempt stamp for my 19 day stay.

Just gave my fingerprints and had picture taken and no words were exchanged.  I chose a line with an IO in his 20s.

Two Arab looking dudes were pulled by an older female IO and brought back to where two airport workers check to see if you filled the arrival cards correctly.  Where the long line breaks up into individual IO lines.  The two Arabs seemed upset and the airport worker shouted GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY twice lol.

Saw some American woman getting scrutizned about working in Thailand.

I noticed a lot more IO stampers than my usual visits too.  Along with random IO officers patrolling between stations.  Maybe they were the supervisors.

Now my fears of being denied are gone. ????

Edited by TooMuchTime
  • Haha 1