Forum upgrade in progress! ×

How to add extra house circuits?

HTC

20 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are continuing to dig a hole for yourself. Do please admit that you do not understand what you are talking about.

It isn't a 15A supply meter, it maxes out at 135A for the calibrated voltage (3 X 45A = 135A)

Yes the box is rated at 100A but not at 220V 

it is 100A at 415V because it's a 3 phase supply so that is 3 X 100A at 220v (the combined 3 phase 415V is a little under the multiple of the individual phase voltages). This means that depending on the supply cables the only change needed to upgrade the supply would be a new 30/100 3 phase meter

As to the supply cable size there is no information about how far the meter is from the main CU which has red, yellow and blue phases with a white neutral.

It is not only the cable size but distance as well, they all look to be either 10mmor 16mm

Oh and the 100A rating at 415V is a continuous rating, whatever gave you the idea that it wasn't.

FWIW there is an overload safety factor in everything like that so it may well be 5 X to 10 X more  and still be within the parameters for the box. Not that it matters as the supply is less than ½ the maximum of that box.

Before you state people don't know what they are talking about, read what Crossy posted below with the spec sheets.

So my sparky fitted all the stuff today and here is the end result.

As mentioned originally I wanted extra circuits added to my original load center box, but I was limited for time so wasn't able to source the internals in time.

Actually the job has turned out looking okay in my opinion. I was worried it would look too messy as I already have a number of boxes in the same area.

The electrician moved the circuit from the top left position of the old box into the new smaller box.

He has wired it so that the main power to the small box passes through the top left position of the main box.

This means that I still have one single switch to turn off all power inside and outside the house which I like.

Not sure what that means regarding phases to the new small box. Does this setup sound okay? Not dangerous?

Out of interest the same sparky who did the original box fitted the new box (my wife is friends with his wife). Nice bloke. Seems to know what he is doing.

20191006_144238-907x1612.jpg.76d592d1482c00eb05e94bd3b19a57cc.jpg20191006_144256-907x1612.jpg.4bf814da69d8d9a8c597c1cdd798086a.jpg20191006_133741-907x1612.jpg.3781038cf31b03d6c61acc3020050e3b.jpg20191006_133749-1612x907.jpg.9d7ee07fa847ac775f34f1428abcba37.jpg

Looks pretty OK to me, shame about the colours (N and E both in black).

What did he do with the circuit he removed from the top-left position?

I see three breakers and only two outgoing neutrals, bet he moved the circuit to the new box and didn't move its neutral.

It won't be a problem until you decide to add RCBOs for your outdoor equipment and pool.

Looks pretty OK to me, shame about the colours (N and E both in black).

What did he do with the circuit he removed from the top-left position?

I see three breakers and only two outgoing neutrals, bet he moved the circuit to the new box and didn't move its neutral.

It won't be a problem until you decide to add RCBOs for your outdoor equipment and pool.

This is not critizism, but I really think you should take Crossy's advice about the special circuit breakers. If you have pool lights, I don't trust the transformers they use for pool lighting and installing an RCBO makes things safer.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Yes a circuit has been moved to the new box.

I am a bit worried about the neutral situation now. Should I ask him to come back and rectify that?

Looks like I have only 1 RCBO for the outside plugs and lights.

So I should put some more in the new box for the driveway gate motor and swimming pool system then?

Those circuits are currently off as the work installing is not yet complete.20191007_091104-1612x907.jpg20191007_091050-1612x907.jpg

3 hours ago, HTC said:

I am a bit worried about the neutral situation now. Should I ask him to come back and rectify that?

Looks like I have only 1 RCBO for the outside plugs and lights.

So I should put some more in the new box for the driveway gate motor and swimming pool system then?

The neutral won't be an issue until you want that circuit on an RCBO, if he's coming to sort something else then I would ask about it.

Looking good, outside lights and outlets on an RCBO.

I would certainly put the pool stuff on an RCBO. 

Gates not so important, but since they are metallic, out in the wet and likely to be touched I would seriously think about it (we do not want any more "person killed by electric leakage from gate" threads). Do remember what I said about surge suppression on long cable runs.

Spoke the the pool system guy today and had a look at the control box they will be fitting in my pump room.

It has surge protection and RCBO already fitted.

I will however buy an RCBO for the gate motor circuit.

Spoke the the pool system guy today and had a look at the control box they will be fitting in my pump room.

It has surge protection and RCBO already fitted.

I will however buy an RCBO for the gate motor circuit.
That's good. I saw mentioned on a thread somewhere before that RCBO for a pool should be 10mA trip as against the normal RCBO 30mA trip. I think I saw this, anyway someone will put me right if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Archived