Drop in domestic travel despite high passenger numbers at Thailand’s 6 key airports

snoop1130

Drop in domestic travel despite high passenger numbers at Thailand’s 6 key airports

By The Nation

800_dd81a0e82865a91.png

Thailand’s six major airports have handled more than 141 million passengers over the past 12 months and though international travel rose by 4.4 per cent, passenger numbers on domestic routes showed a drop of 1.4 per cent, the Airports of Thailand (AOT) reported on Tuesday (October 1).

Data on passenger traffic at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, the Phuket International Airport, Chiang Mai Airport, Hat Yai Airport and Chiang Rai’s Mae Fah Luang Airport was collected from October 2018 and September 2019. 

Statistics showed that Suvarnabhumi Airport dealt with the highest number of passengers at 64.7 million, up by 3 per cent, followed by Don Mueang, which had 41 million passengers, recording a 1.1 per cent increase. Phuket, meanwhile, dealt with 17.85 million, down by 2.3 per cent; Chiang Mai 11.32 million, up by 4.7 per cent; Hat Yai 4 million, down by 5.6 per cent; and Chiang Rai nearly 3 million people, recording a rise of 5.3 per cent. 

The data collected also showed that domestic travel had dropped almost everywhere with the exception of Suvarnabhumi and Chiang Rai airports, which recorded a 3.49 per cent and 1.33 per cent increase in domestic travellers respectively. Meanwhile, domestic travellers at Hat Yai Airport had dropped by 4.8 per cent, Phuket by 4.2 per cent and Don Mueang by 4 per cent. 

Over the 12 months, the six airports dealt with 896,070 flights, recording an increase of 2.4 per cent. Of these, 491,997 were international flights, up by 6.4 per cent, and 404,073 were domestic flights down by 2.1 per cent. 

The number of flights to and from Suvarnabhumi Airport rose by 4.1 per cent at 378,885, while Chiang Mai Airport dealt with 80,532 flights marking a rise of 6.5 per cent, though Hat Yai only dealt with 2,027 flights, down by 7.4 per cent. 

The study found that budget airlines dealt with 66.7 million passengers over the past 11 months, marking an increase of 5.43 per cent. Of them 28.31 million were international passengers, up by 16.41 per cent, and 38.4 million domestic passengers, down 1.42 per cent. 

Meanwhile, budget airlines had 429,765 flights over the past 11 months, up by 6.33 per cent. Of the flights, 172,333 were international, up by 19.03 per cent, and 257,432 domestic, down by 0.76 per cent.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376985

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-02

Joint probe on carriers not complying with slot schedules

By THE NATION

800_dd81a0e82865a91.png

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob has instructed the Airports of Thailand (AOT), the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT), and Thai Airways International (THAI) to jointly probe into the issue that some airlines, which had reserved slots in Thai airports, have declined to follow the schedules.

AOT President Nitinai Sirismatthakar said that a number of carriers declined to fly to Thailand according to the slots they had reserved. In some periods, the incidence rate was very high, he added. 

CAAT director-general Chula Sukmanop said the state agency had finished setting the rules on the matter which would become effective in January next year.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30376998

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-03

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, madmitch said:

They never state that the figures refer to both arriving and departing passengers and aircraft.

And can someone please explain the chart, which bears no correlation to anything in the article and appears to have the two Bangkok airports twice with different figures. Things like this don't do anything to make you believe any of the stats.

Idiots

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, madmitch said:

They never state that the figures refer to both arriving and departing passengers and aircraft.

And can someone please explain the chart, which bears no correlation to anything in the article and appears to have the two Bangkok airports twice with different figures. Things like this don't do anything to make you believe any of the stats.

Haha. I also see that Chiangrai is mentioned but not Chiangmai. I don't really believe that CR is larger than CM - or am I wrong?

CM deals with domestic and International. Does CR do the same?

• Like 1

Thailand's six major airports and two of them are Don Mueang and another two are Swampy!!  Plus the figures are crazy with Don Mueang carrying several times more traffic than Swampy.  None of the figures have any correlation with the report!!!

Edited by HHTel
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, RBOP said:

I did too. Then got fined 3,000 baht for not reporting a TM30 when renewing the family visas. 

I think it makes good sense to make sure you do a least the last TM30 prior to renewals, especially if it’s international travel. I recently got pinged 800 baht at renewal for not doing so after an overseas trip...lesson learned.

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

I travel domestically all the time and never do a TM 30.

Jomtien. I hadn't done one since I returned from UK in 2012, but at this year's married visa extension a few weeks back I was sent out to complete one at counter 10. Fortunately, I didn't get fined, I assume because I haven't left the country since then and possibly my domestic trips haven't been registered by the resorts I stayed in.

9 hours ago, baboon said:

Plus the skint locals, despite being told how well their economy is doing. From the gardener / repair people, to the nurses, teachers and railway staff in my Moo Baan, many of them are complaining that they can't make ends meet anymore. 

Well Said.

They spent how many years trying to tell anyone that would listen, oh yes, economy is great. sigh

• Like 2

14 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

TM30 problems stopping expat travel domestically? Ain’t that special!  

Plus, I think a lot of potential tourist read about it and think it also pertains to them. 

Edited by Longcut